What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scratches Already

dustrho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is only one week old and I already have two scratches on the display. I use a smart cover, I'm super careful with my iPad, and can't believe it's already scratched. Good thing Apple didn't decide to use Gorilla glass on these. /sarcasm

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
dustrho

dustrho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No one uses my iPad besides me. They're both parallel to each other, are faint, but are easily noticeable. It really upsets me.

OP
dustrho

dustrho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It doesn't interfere with me using this ipad, but every so often I can see it and boy does it make me mad.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of this?

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is an oleophobic coating on the screen to repel fingerprints. It is likely this is what is scratched and not the glass itself.

However, if you try to buff that out, you will take off the coating and make the screen look awful. There is no way to take the coating off uniformly and others have stated that if you do get the coating off you are left with an awful rainbow effect to the glass.

I would leave it alone, get a screen protector, and live with it. Anything you do to make it better will likely make it worse.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking you have had something on your smart cover that has done this. I've heard that a screen protector is good for masking light scratches also.

OP
dustrho

dustrho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
I'm thinking you have had something on your smart cover that has done this. I've heard that a screen protector is good for masking light scratches also.

That's what I'm thinking about doing. Is Zagg the best one to get?

Egore93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking about doing. Is Zagg the best one to get?

I think Zagg is the best screen protector out in the market plus they have a lifetime warranty!! It's the only one I use.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When your screen is turned on I bet you can't see them anyway.
So what's the point in worrying about it? An iPad is a device made of glass that you use with your hands. It's going to get small scratches every now and again.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When your screen is turned on I bet you can't see them anyway.
So what's the point in worrying about it? An iPad is a device made of glass that you use with your hands. It's going to get small scratches every now and again.

Why would your hand cause scratches? I have never had any.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While the glass used for touch screens is meant to take a lot of abuse, it is not immune to scratching. It can happen in many ways. Allowing another person to use it, even briefly, while they are wearing a diamond ring, will be a possiblility. Leaving it set on the couch with a pet around. There are a lot of little acts that can lend to an accidental scratch.

While I am here, a couple of things. It is pretty certain that Apple is using Gorilla Glass, it is best for Apple not to advertise any component manufacturers. If there is falling out, or inability of a manufacturer, then Apple can go to another manufacturer and get the same or better product without any media attention or lawsuites. Also, Apple and others are looking at newer coatings for the glass that not only repels dirt and bodyoils, but also is self healing, eliminating minor scratches.

Erwaso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recommend Zagg screen protectors as I've used them on multiple blackberries and android phones. But for the iPad I feel they are way too much and now use a cheap amazon 3pack version of anti glare ones. Not ruining the quality of the screen at all and keeps fingerprint smudges at a minimum.

I'm pretty sure Gorilla glass is shatterproof, not scratch proof.

OP
dustrho

dustrho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Erwaso said:
I recommend Zagg screen protectors as I've used them on multiple blackberries and android phones. But for the iPad I feel they are way too much and now use a cheap amazon 3pack version of anti glare ones. Not ruining the quality of the screen at all and keeps fingerprint smudges at a minimum.

I'm pretty sure Gorilla glass is shatterproof, not scratch proof.

Could you send me a private message of which ones you purchased at Amazon please? Thanks.

Most reactions