Anyone scratched their iPad 2 screen yet?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Dr Umfufu, May 4, 2011.

1. Dr Umfufu

Dr Umfufu
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Have had the original iPad for a year and during that time I always had a screen protector on it. I now have the new iPad 2 and a smart cover but as yet not put a protector on it. Question is.... How hard is it to scratch these things in normal day to day use? Do I need to apply one or can I just leave it? Anyone out there scratched one yet and regretted not putting a protector on?

2. wytey

wytey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    both iPad 1 and 2 screens are scratch free with no protector, just be careful with what you use to touch the screen with, if you just use your fingers, it will be fine, unless you have diamond coated nails :)

3. Blueface

Blueface
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Never used a screen protector with original iPad and had no scratches.
    iPad 2 is likewise naked screenwise and perfect to date.
    Naked feels great!:D

4. Tsuintx

Tsuintx
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Used mine for about a week before putting on a screen protector and so far I don't regret it. No scratches on the screen, but just wanted to make sure there will not be any, either.

5. tzimisce

tzimisce
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I suppose that's one reason why people use screen protectors: for the peace of mind, and not having to worry about questions like these.

6. Dr Umfufu

Dr Umfufu
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Those that don't have a screen protector, what do you do to clean the screen? Micro fibre cloth? Cleaning fluid? Screen wipes? I'm normally very careful with my device so starting to feel that naked might be the way to go.... Always found protectors reduced the appeal of the device somehow...

7. Harters

Harters
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I always lightly brush off any dust particles with my hand first then a well shaken microfibre cloth which is used only on my iPad.

8. Guy1717

Guy1717
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Yes, me, well in fact my cat. I think he jumped on it and was not aware my ipad2 was there, he was surprised and ran away and scratched it with one of his 500 nails ;).A scratch of 1 inch in the middle of the screen. It was screen up with the smarcover not on, in my relax chair and it was there for maybe 10 minutes.
    I contacted Apple care for a solution (replace the touchscreen) and they send me to a service center. The first service center told me there's nothing they can do about it and to buy a new one ! And the second service center in another town, after i had them on the phone and ask me to email the problem,never responded to my email, now two weeks ago. So, service is very bad, i told Apple care about the arrogance in the first service center, they told me they had more complaints, but everything stays the same. Great service here in Belgium.
    I never asked for warranty of course.

Now, i have sold it with a 130 euro loss and i have i new 32 gb now. I was fixated on that scrath, the person who bought it didn't mind.
    And now i try to close the smartcover as much as possible.
    The screen isn't that scratchproof as some people think, i really take great care of it, but a nail of cat is too much for it.

As some people already said here : i don't know how i could live without my ipad2 anymore. Same here. Only the absence of Flash bothers mee sometimes.

Well, happy ipadding to everyone. :p

Guy

#8 Guy1717, May 5, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011
  9. Guy1717

Guy1717
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I do exactly the same, but breathe on it to make it damp and then polish it with the microfiber cloth which is extremely soft.

I just wonder, in time, how to clean the inside of the smartcover. It will become one day saturated with "grease" residu from the fingers, right ?

10. Blueface

Blueface
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Same here.