Scratch

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by kevinhunter, Apr 18, 2012.

1. kevinhunter

kevinhunter iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi folks, well I've gone and scratched the back of my iPad after only about 2 weeks. Just wondering if anyone knows of any way to get rid the scratch ... Any solutions or any thing like that...I know a cover will hide it but it's still annoying as hell!?

Thanks guys

Kevin
  2. scudder

scudder iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I have used a car paint cutting solution called 'T-Cut' sold in the UK before to almost remove light scratches on Al. Not sure where you are located or if you can get that product. It is a very mild abrasive.
  3. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,520 / 1
    I would think that your proposal would damage the appearance of the matte finish on the metal and leave a much larger,even more annoying area of damage.
  4. kevinhunter

kevinhunter iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have you used it on an ipad or apple product scudder?
  5. kevinhunter

kevinhunter iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I see where your coming from also scifan...
  6. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Your best bet is to get some kind of back protection NOW to avoid getting even more scratches on the back. There is nothing you can do about the ones that are present now.
  7. Lunar

Lunar Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree.. I use t-cut occasionally for cutting paintwork, but you need to be careful with it, as any more than a little rubbing will definately cause the area to become shiny, and likely stand out even more. For high glossy surfaces it's great, but not much good for mat finishes, as it will definately change the colour of the area where your've been rubbing, probably make it look glossy.

TBH, I think I would just leave it as is, as you will likely make it look worse... I would put a decent cover on it.

My iPad slides into a soft leather folio case, but I always check in case there's any bits or something stuck to the case which might scratch it when sliding it in, I use a bits of sellotape to lift any bits off, as it does look like the rear of the iPad would scratch quite easily, and all it would take is a tiny bit of grit.

My advice to people is to carefully insert the connector BEFORE you plug it into the power adapter, your'll find it much easier to line it up and less likely to slip and scratch down the side, which is dead easy to happen on the iPad2 & 3. I was almost tempted to stick a piece of plastic protective around the connector, but was unsure how the adhesive may react with the iPads finish... I recall doing something similar with another device years ago to protect something and when I peeled it off months later it had somehow left a rectangular mark on the matt finish, so one has to be careful what you use.. on that occasion it was just a strip of plain clear selotape, but you could see where it had been. :-(
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2012
  8. scudder

scudder iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Yes, used it on the original iPhone case. That is of course an altogether different horse as the whole surface could be done for blending in.
  9. kevinhunter

kevinhunter iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks guys. Ps if u seen the size of the scratch you would think I'm nuts...my girl friend does... It's pretty small.. Still annoying though. Ps I did have a cover on ... It was attaching the charger cable...slipped and ran down the inside of the case...
  10. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,520 / 1
    Any one of the many available adhesive skins made for the back of the iPad would certainly prevent the accident which caused your scratch.Have you looked into that type of cover?
  11. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
  12. kevinhunter

kevinhunter iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks guys.usually very careful. I've now also noticed a little glitch where the aluminium meets the glass casing...it's like a little tiny trough just along from the front facing camera...certainly not drop the iPad so I think it's been there all along and I'm now wondering if I can hassle apple about this and get it exchanged !? :)
  13. kevinhunter

kevinhunter iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just ordered one of the I carbons for the back. It's at least going to hide the scratch :) ps I found a really good page with discount codes that worked. Really handy considering I'm shipping to the uk. Cheers guys.

While I'm at it...can anyone recommend what is the best screen protection?
  14. gresh14

gresh14 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    My daughter had a few small scratches on her iPod. She waxed them with a tiny bit of car wax, worked pretty good, didnt make them totally go,away but it surely diminished them quite a bit
  15. beesknees

beesknees iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0

As expensive as these things are no scratch is too small. The smart covers scare me to death. I like to take mine off when I am going to be holding it for awhile but I know there is some friction when the magnet re-attaches. I just know over time it will leave a mark so I will be investing in something for the back soon myself.
  16. gresh14

gresh14 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I have a smart cover that I purchased at sam's club for $25. Its a one piece that the iPad slides into, so there is full back coverage also.
  17. beesknees

beesknees iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I'd still probably want to take it on and off though to make the iPad lighter. I shouldn't have bought the leather. I am probably headed for a minimal back cover and a sleeve for around the house and use the SC for travelling.
  18. kevinhunter

kevinhunter iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  19. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    A smart cover never scratched my iPad. But you can put a skin on the back to minimize the chances.
  20. SquiderDragon

SquiderDragon iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Kevin, I get your pain re scratch. Annoying. I had the new Otterbox Defender on same day as new iPad arrived so it was inserted from BNIB to the OBD case. I also had a 'phobia' about screen scratches / protection and for my original iPad I had screen protectors. To be honest you maybe have to put up with some imperections (bubbles, dust etc) with these damn things. Laterally I removed and went naked on screen which was better as I had a pristine screen and just wiped it down after use. However with new iPad OBD case there is an integral screen protector. For me this is wayyyy better than the peel and stick jobs and works well. Now when I do get dust etc on screen I can wipe it down but knowing its actually the OBD screen I'm clearing - the actual iPad screen is still pristine! I can watch play and browse with no worries re damage.

SquiderDragon