What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saving zoom setting for iPad web browsing?

kraemder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm kinda going crazy trying to figure out how to do this. My android phone has a default zoom setting for web pages and it works really well - I don't have to zoom in again every time I click a link. On the iPad the default setting (no zooming) is fine for landscape browsing but in portrait mode I'd much prefer it to zoom in a bit. I like the portrait mode when I'm using the tablet in bed or anywhere besides a table where I need to hold it to type. Landscape mode typing is a bit of a pain unless I have it lying down on a table (I don't care for the split keyboard on landscape.. the two halves are too far apart).

Thanks for any help on this.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no such setting, control, or feature in Safari. I'm not sure about third party browsers. Dolphin browser, maybe, since it originated on Android, but probably not.

What there is: (on the off chance you do not know)

If you use the Zoom accessibility feature it remembers the previous zoom level. You'll find it under Settings > General > Accessibility. Read the blurbs under the settings for gestures for activating and controlling the feature. However it zooms the entire iPad screen, not just the browser window.

Personally, I find the default double tap action in Safari meets my needs most of the time. The way it fits the column I'm interested in to the screen is usually just about perfect (for me). I don't mind the extra action, since it adapts to each page.

If that is not enough I use the Reader button that appears to the right of the URL after the page finishes loading. There is a font size control at the top left.

ReaderMode.jpg

OP
K

kraemder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Thanks for the informed response. It's really helpful. If I jailbroke my iPad would that make any difference? I'd also love to have some arrow keys on the keyboard like my android phone has. It has a keyboard app so it's improved over the default one that comes with the OS. I think android is spoiling me. Regarding your alternatives I've already tried them. The zoom setting that is built in that zooms everything is way overkill and you have to use three fingers to scroll its crazy. The double tapping to zoom in on text is a nice feature but I like the auto prezoom that I get with android better. Oh well. I may grab a nexus 7 and see if I like it better than the iPad for web browsing.

Most reactions

Latest posts