What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari shuts down!!!

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since iOS 5, Safari crashes have increased on both my iPad 1 and 2, but the crashes are significantly more frequent on iPad 1. There might be reasons other than RAM, but when I check my diagnostics logs on both iPads, RAM errors appear more frequently on iPad 1 than iPad 2.

Interesting to hear from someone who has both the iPad 1 and the iPad 2. It makes since that the iPad 1 has more memory issues as it has less RAM.

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's an app called program killer. It clears out all your memory, which has the same effect as turning it on and off, but a lot quicker, and with live info.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's an app called program killer. It clears out all your memory, which has the same effect as turning it on and off, but a lot quicker, and with live info.

This sounds like an app for jailbroken devices.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting to hear from someone who has both the iPad 1 and the iPad 2. It makes since that the iPad 1 has more memory issues as it has less RAM.

Yes, RAM is one of the main reasons I would recommend against iPad 1 now.

charm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In addition to clearing history and cookies, hit advanced under safari settings, go to website data and clear that also. Every little bit of RAM freed up helps . Yeah it's OS 5 related but I am glad to get free OS upgrades unlike my Windows computers where I run Vista and W7 and Microsoft will never upgrade either for me when Win8 comes out.

Petey496

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been there, done it all, keeps happening. With the coming of IPad3, you all honestly think Apple is going to address this problem with all of us IPad1 users?? Doubt it. I use my android WAY more these days, use IPad to type as it is easier and bigger, obviously. Just wanted to to put my 2 cents in re this issue. Apple NEEDS to address it, FIX IT, unless they want their customers to stray to other
Tablets in the future!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been there, done it all, keeps happening. With the coming of IPad3, you all honestly think Apple is going to address this problem with all of us IPad1 users?? Doubt it. I use my android WAY more these days, use IPad to type as it is easier and bigger, obviously. Just wanted to to put my 2 cents in re this issue. Apple NEEDS to address it, FIX IT, unless they want their customers to stray to other
Tablets in the future!

I think it more likely that my iPads will sprout wings and fly than there will be a "fix."

giraffe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It helps for me if I reset it time to time. I doubt Apple will fix this for iPad 1. Regards, Ales

connecticutart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I am having the issue with iPad 1 where while in safari it will suddenly kick back to home screen. I have performed the reset multiple times, and closed programs running in the background. Is this issue consistent with the thread? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
Yes this is an issue that quite a few members are experiencing. The ipad1 has only 256 mb of ram compared to the ipad2 with 512 mb. The best thing to do here is close all your apps completely regularly and clear out history and cookies from Safari, also keep location services to a minimum. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press an app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, clear all these apps as this will clear up more ram.
Settings - Safari - clear cookies and history.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Exactly, and on top of that i use an app called free memory that free up ram by deleting unnecessary stuff in it. I used to use this app on my 3g iphone which had 128mb ram and it helped. I use it on my ipad 1 now and i could not do without it, sometimes using flickr keeps crashing my safari browser

RIP Steve Jobs 

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mikeos said:

No such app on the app store, i just checked

RIP Steve Jobs 

charm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good karma said:
No such app on the app store, i just checked

RIP Steve Jobs 
Funny, no such app on the store as free memory either. There was a memory info one but that does nothing but show you how little ram you have. It claims to let you close all running apps when you double tap home button but the iPad does that anyway.
What is the exact name of an app that does free up ipad1 ram?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Xsysinfo is the name of the app. It was very popular before Apple told it to disable memory in app. For a while afterwards the AppStore had an upgraded version to disable the app's ability. Im glad I never updated it. I still have the original and it helps me keep my iPad1 running.

The current version is 1.6. It is still a useful informative app. But it no longer frees up memory.

Last edited:

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
charm said:
Funny, no such app on the store as free memory either. There was a memory info one but that does nothing but show you how little ram you have. It claims to let you close all running apps when you double tap home button but the iPad does that anyway.
What is the exact name of an app that does free up ipad1 ram?

Hi charm, here are some screen shots, surprised to hear that free memory is not in app store anymore, thats rotten.

RIP Steve Jobs 

Attachments

• image-448349510.png
    image-448349510.png
    55 KB · Views: 206
  • image-3532423173.png
    image-3532423173.png
    687.7 KB · Views: 218

Most reactions

Latest posts