What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari named browser leader in Q3 of 2012

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
13.01.28-Akamai-2.jpg

2013 brings yet more good news for tech industry giant Apple. According to the latest “State of the Internet Report†from web content delivery firm Akamai, Apple’s mobile browser – Safari, just snatched 60% total mobile usage, but still couldn’t surpass the combined forces of all the Android devices out there. After all, there’s just a limited number of iPhones but the ranks of Android devices are huge.

So, according to Akamai’s data, in Q3 of 2012, users preferred using the Google Android Webkit browser over cellular data networks. After further investigating the topic and including the non-cellular networks as well, Safari was shown to still dominate the market with a little over 60%.

The statistics has been put together, using information coming from hundreds of websites that relay information through Akamai’s gates. Most of the businesses are based in the US and the report showcases the tendency of the American tech market.

Therefore, from a cellular data standpoint, the Android operating system was the most solicited one in the mobile environment with 37,6% of requests while Safari came in at number two with 35, 7% shares. Other browsers that made it to the Akamai top were the Opera Mini, RIM’s BlackBerry mobile browser and Mobile Explorer from Microsoft with 20%, 4, 2% and 1, 5% respectively.

Akamai also made a little statistic for Akamai’s own networks in the third quarter of 2012. It was found that Safari, Android and Mobile Explorer each accounted for 5% of requests within the company’s networks.

Source: AppleInsider

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know it works best on iDevices.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still enjoy and use the Atomic browser on my iPad. Safari is decent though.

Most reactions