1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Run Windows 7 and Microsoft Office on your iPad with Citrix Receiver

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    [​IMG]

Itbusiness.ca has a story today about something called Citrix Receiver that enables you to take your virtual office with you on your iPad, with one-touch, secure, real-time access to all of your Windows business applications, virtual desktops and documents, wherever you happen to be. For example, with just one tap you can read, create and share documents. I’m particularly impressed with how easy it appears to be to use Word on the iPad going by the video demo that you can view below.

Citrix says that Receiver is fully capable of handling resource-intensive apps on the iPad, such as the 3D medical application shown in the demo, all at the same high speed over any network connection.

As far as security is concerned, Citrix says that your sensitive data is protected by being stored on the corporate network, not on the iPad.
    Although the Receiver app is free, you must be a customer of Citrix’s XenApp on-demand application delivery solution in order to use it, so it's not really an app for the casual personal user.

Source: itbusiness.ca, Citrix
  2. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    <object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=10691582&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=10691582&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/10691582">Citrix Receiver for iPad</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user3526890">Chris Fleck</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  3. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    very cool concept I wonder how it will handle things like drag and drop, highlighting text, right-clicking, and such? If they can come out with a "personal" version for the non-corporate customer, or even a way to host the applications from your home desktop, that would be a real winner! I certainly dont want to pay a monthly fee to have this capability.
  4. Temp40

Temp40 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would imagine something like that will become available soon, likely just a matter of time
  5. Samurai

Samurai iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I saw a video of a guy demonstrating it - he showed drag and drop (I think it was double tap, hold down and drag on the second tap) and right click (two finger tap). Video was jittery. This was on Revision 3's App Judgement. It did look like it could be quite useful but expensive at $30. I will wait for more reviews.
  6. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I would pay $30 to be able to host my own apps from my own desktop. Not for remote desktop, but for actual hosting of individual apps like the enterprise system.
  7. MikeM

MikeM iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anybody know if those medical apps were Windows, Mac, or iPad programs? Looked really impressive.
  8. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    I wouldnt say this is news. These apps have been around for a LONG time on the iPhone and have just been updated for the iPad and ready on the iPad wifi launch day.

I actualy went into a apple store on the ipad launch day and tested out the remote desktop apps and a few other things before deciding to get one since I wanted a 3G iPad anyway.