What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotating photos

lindy123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I know this has been mentioned before but I am still having a problem. I have downloaded my photos to my pc, windows 7 home edition, which was very straight forward, but then I am unable to rotate them. I took all the pics with my iPad in the portrait position, is this why? I have to say that I have been able to rotate a couple of them but with the rest it says I am unable to save these pics because of format problems and when I tried on my laptop the message box was flashing and I had to log off to carry on.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I've moved your thread to our Help Section where you will receive a better response.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

iPad 2 3G 64gb

City

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try messing with the volume button on your iPad, it can control rotation if set in Settings.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try messing with the volume button on your iPad, it can control rotation if set in Settings.

I'm sure you meant the slide switch next to the volume buttons.

iPad: Understanding the side switch

@Lindy:

I'm not sure what your problem is, but the orientation of photos taken from the iPad have a tag to tell them which way is up. Not all imaging software (on Windows or on the internet) understands that tag. In that case the picture will be determined by the orientation you were holding the iPad in. This can be confusing, since the iPad (helpfully) keeps your view right side up no matter how you turn it (unless you lock rotation using one of the methods referred to in the previous link)

To prevent this problem try holding the iPad with the home button down for portrait shots and the home button tot he right for landscape.

I've also found it useful to quickly rotate the photo in the Photos app. Even though you end up where you started it seems to reset the orientation for better exporting.

I sometimes have to do this with a photo when I upload it to this forum; because I don't always pay attention to how I'm holding the iPad either.

OP
lindy123

lindy123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much, so much info to look at (I do love a manual) I tried taking a pic with the iPad in landscape position and that downloaded ok, so I think that is what I will have to do in future, shame is I have about 150 pics of a birthday party all on their side. Thanks again

OP
lindy123

lindy123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a quick update on the rotating photos problem, I took the advise and spun them round on my iPad a few times and then when I downloaded them IT WORKED! Thanks very much.

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I encountered the same (or similar) problem in the last two days (hadn't used iPad for taking photos before). When I tried to rotate the photos (which were already moved from the iPad to a Windows 7 computer), I got a dialog box: "Rotation: You cannot rotate this image. The file might be in use or open in another program, or the file or folder might be read-only."
Which was kind of weird, because I was able to rotate some photos, but not all of them. At first I thought that some application might be holding on to the file, but that wasn't the case.
Anyway, to make a too long story short... I came across this site:
Are Your iPhone Photos Refusing To Rotate In Windows Explorer? Here Is The Solution
and installed JPEG Lossless Rotator, which rotated the photos normally. :-D
I don't know if that special this-way-up tag will be messed up with this blatant attempt at rotating non-rotatable photos, but the photos aren't going back to an iPad, so who cares. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts