What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ringer icon

Mollyboots

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just set up my ipod2, downloaded whatever I needed to get started.

Now I have a grey icon in the middle of my screen with a ringer image. I can't seem to remove it?

Any ideas/
Thanks
Mollyboots

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Mollyboots - welcome to the iPad Forums! :)

I'm assuming that you mean the sound muting/adjustment icon is present and you iPad is not responding?

You can always try to restart (and if not successful, then reset) the iPad - directions in the manual or HERE

If this solves the issue, you might want to make sure the iPad was setup correctly in iTunes - if you still have a problem, just post back - good luck!

mrkc281

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mollyboots how did you get rid of the ringer icon because I have the same problem and no one's been able to help me.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Mrkc281 - you might want to provide some information as to whether this is an issue w/ a new iPad and initial setup on iTunes or a later event?

Also check in your settings to see how the 'side switch' is configured? In addition, what iOS are you running and did this occur after an upgrade to iOS5?

Finally, give my suggestions a try - keep in mind that Mollyboots post is 4 months old and she never responded - so not sure she'll give you an answer?

Good luck and please post back your additional information & your attempts to correct the issue - :)

mrkc281

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the ipad2 and never experienced this problem. It appears that the mute icon is locked and I can't unmute it. I have rebooted the system several times and it still there. Do you have any advice that you can give me.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have the ipad2 and never experienced this problem. It appears that the mute icon is locked and I can't unmute it. I have rebooted the system several times and it still there. Do you have any advice that you can give me.

'Restart' & 'Reset' are different - please return to my link and make sure that you have done a 'Reset' which requires holding down the 'On-Off' & 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the slider switch appears - slide to turn off your iPad - wait a little and then hold down the 'On-Off' switch until the Apple logo appears - you may have already done this and if so w/o a correction of your problem, please re-post - sorry for your problem!

mrkc281

iPF Noob
Reaction score
'Restart' & 'Reset' are different - please return to my link and make sure that you have done a 'Reset' which requires holding down the 'On-Off' & 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the slider switch appears - slide to turn off your iPad - wait a little and then hold down the 'On-Off' switch until the Apple logo appears - you may have already done this and if so w/o a correction of your problem, please re-post - sorry for your problem!

To answer a couple of your questions......My OS is 4.3.3, and I have not upgraded to OS 5. I have reset the system several times and that grey sound icon is still sitting in the middle of my screen. Additional thoughts or advice?

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Boy, that is a tough one - I'm sure that you've played w/ the side switch, the volume control, checked in general settings and changed the function of the side switch back & forth, and looked at the far left of the multi-taskbar to see if the lock switch is on - I suspect that none of this would help but who knows.

You might want to provide some information as to when did this problem occur (e.g. during an update) and whether your iPad2 is jailbroken? Of course, updating to iOS 5 would likely solve the problem. I hope that some of our more tech savvy members/mods will 'chime in' to help - good luck again! :)

OP
M

Mollyboots

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello
Being new to this forum, I did not previously reply (not a nice comment about"she did not respond, since I am a "he" and am very computer illiterate.

However, the issue was with a brand new Ipad2 that I received as a gift.. The ringer icon kept appearing in the middle of my screen, then disappear, then reappear. At this point I didn't even realize there was a ringer button on the side of the Ipad2. Finally I contacted Apple Support, they requested the Ipad2 be returned to them for repair. Please note, this is on my initial setup ... I hadn't even used the Ipad2 for anything. The result was that the Ipad2 was defective, and Apple sent me a brand new one. Since then I have not had any problems.

Good luck

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello
Being new to this forum, I did not previously reply (not a nice comment about"she did not respond, since I am a "he" and am very computer illiterate.
Good luck

Mollyboots - sorry about the confusion; my only reason to mention that you did not post was that the thread was 4 months old (w/ just a single response from me) - glad that your problem was worked out w/ an iPad replacement - certainly a GOOD solution! :)

Last edited:

a.anderson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just received this same problem today. I have an iPhone 3 which is a year old. It has only just started happening and I cannot get rid of it. Comes up immediately on start up. I have OS 6.01 with no updates available. Any new thoughts?

Most reactions

Latest posts