What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What means this ringer icon recurrence?

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my iPad2 (non 3G), connected to wifi, the ringer icon will intermittently appear, hang around for a few seconds, and then fade out. Sometimes it does this several times a minute. I am severely hearing impaired so have the sound OFF, volume turned down, mute button on.

So what's going on? Anybody got any ideas?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the 'ringer icon'. Does this appear in the middle of the screen or in the menu bar at the top of the screen? It sounds like a 'notification'. If you go to 'Settings', 'Notifications' - what notifications have you got enabled? See if it's one of those that's causing this. Turn them off one-by-one until you discover the culprit!!

Tim

OP
Plainsman

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Tim. Yes, it is the notification visual alert that appears in the center of the screen. (I've always been terrible about proper nomenclature.) But I have notifications turned off. So the mystery continues.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - thanks for the update - I'm moving this to the Help section because I think you'll get better attention there..

Tim

OP
Plainsman

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problems for a while and then recurring today, with a vengeance. The notification is the speaker with the volume indications below it. No volume is indicated since I have turned it down/off. Notifications are also off. But there the thing is, in the center of the screen, refusing to go away.

???

(Today I paired the iPad for the first time with the Apple Bluetooth keyboard. Don;t know if there could be a connection there. Just saying...)

AHA! I just figured it out. (Today's problem anyway.) I have the iPad on a stand and it was sitting on the volume rocker. DUH!

Last edited:
OP
Plainsman

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! Makes me feel a little less foolish. (But only a little.)

Davajam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have this issue but I didn't have the ringer switch touching anything. It seems to go in cycles - nothing for a couple of days and then continuous ringer off/ringer on icon in the middle of the screen. I think it looks like a fault contact on the switch.

I have tested apps for notifications and doesn't correlate with fault.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As mentioned before, make sure you don't have any paired bluetooth keyboards, speakers, or earphones paired and connected; in case they are spending spurious signals.

Also look for deformities in the case near the volume switches. This has been know to happen, and cause either sensitive, or non-functional volume switches.

Or, as you said, it could just be some switches going bad, though it's rarer for switches to short (act like they are pressed) than for them to fault open (refuse to acknowledge being pressed).

I should also point out that this thread is several years old. Most of the people who posted here have been off the forum for some time.

Most reactions