What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Review of the Targus Zierra Case for Ipad

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score

From my search to the perfect case I found this model from Targus. On their website they do not mention that it is for the Ipad2, but an internet seller told me it can be used for the Ipad2 as well, so I took the risk.

It is a black leather case with a Burgundy inside lining.

It has a few small pockets for business cards, credit cards. Underneath you can also store some bigger sized papers.

There is a place for your stylus as well.

It comes with a small cleaning pad. That is, if you don’t let your kids play with the Ipad, otherwise it will go missing relatively fast. At least the windows are clean up to 5 feet.

With its weight of 1.18lbs or 0.5kg it will double the weight of your Ipad.

The Ipad is placed in two leather holders at the bottom, which are solid. Opposite are two flexible leather holders that you fold over the Ipad. It gives a shaky impression, which could mean that it was originally designed for the Ipad first generation only, but I am not sure. Still, when I want to place the Ipad in landscape position I swing it around with confidence. It stays in place very well.

The line to position the Ipad in landscape is deep enough. Even on a non flat surface it stays in the correct position, unlike the Switcheasy, which I used before. This case does not come with a portrait mode.

You can either use the landscape mode or fold the flaps under the Ipad. It adds some thickness of course, but it is not disturbing.

The camera hole has a metal ring around it, which is not touching the back of your Ipad.

It does not have a sleep function. I solved this by taping a small magnet on the inside of the lining. In the coming days I will place it under the lining. Although it is not a permanent solution, it does the job.

One important remark is that if the Ipad is in landscape mode the hole of the headphone is slightly covered by the area that hold the Ipad in place. So, if you are using the earphones a lot and in landscape mode I think you better consider another case.

Conclusion:

Pro’s
It protects the full area of the Ipad
It has a good landscape position
It has a place for the stylus
It comes with a small cleaning pad (If I ever find it again)
It has an overall good and nice finishing
It can be taken out very easy

Cons.
The Ipad 2 is not really fixed and gives the impression it moves a lot
The headphone is partially covered when in landscape mode
It doubles the weight of your Ipad.

I will continue my search for the perfect case, but I think that by the time I have found it Apple will launch the Ipad2.

Below a few pictures.

Attachments

• IMG-20110516-00093.jpg
    IMG-20110516-00093.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG-20110516-00094.jpg
    IMG-20110516-00094.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG-20110516-00095.jpg
    IMG-20110516-00095.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG-20110516-00097.jpg
    IMG-20110516-00097.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG-20110516-00098.jpg
    IMG-20110516-00098.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 336
OP
JJK

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just noticed on the Targus website that they have added this case as IPad 2 compatible. I wonder if the problem with the headphone is the same with the IPad1.

2 more pictures:

Attachments

• IMG-20110516-00100.jpg
    IMG-20110516-00100.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 884
  • IMG-20110516-00101.JPG
    IMG-20110516-00101.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 989
Last edited:

Admiral Keth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does not have a sleep function. I solved this by taping a small magnet on the inside of the lining. In the coming days I will place it under the lining. Although it is not a permanent solution, it does the job.

First, I have to agree that while the Zierra cover is not perfect, it is a heck of a good cover. I chose it simply because I wanted a cover which looked nice, had some storage pockets, and would protect my $850 investment should I drop it. It does all of that admirably.

However, after a day or two of using it, I noticed that my power consumption skyrocketed! Taking out of my laptop case, I noticed the iPad was HOT from the screen staying on. I had originally purchased the SmartCover from Apple at the same time that I threw down for the iPad, and noticed that the magnetic cover put the iPad into sleep mode. I Googled the problem, only to pleasantly find this solution. Sure enough, the smallest, thinnest refrigerator magnet (for the local vet :) ) worked like a charm! My wife sewed a pocket onto the right-hand cover to hold the magnet; no fuss, no muss. Targus should really add a $.10 cent magnet into their $50 dollar cover to make it even better.

So, all in all, I highly recommend this cover...just be sure to have a cheap magnet handy.

Last edited:
OP
JJK

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you. I am also now used to this cover and am not looking for another solution. It works fine and even after a couple of weeks the same scotchtape is still holding the magnet firmly in place.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts