1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Restore from backup or sync?

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Pappagiorgio, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pappagiorgio

Pappagiorgio iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm confused. What´s the difference between syncing and restore from backup? i upgraded to iOS5 but i want to restore all the apps(games) and their respective settings, but when i click on 'Restore from Backup' iTunes says that it will only restore "contacts, calendars and notes", it doesn't say anything about restoring apps and their settings. And when i click on 'Sync Apps' iTunes says that it will delete all apps and stuff from the iPad 2 and i don't know if syncing restores all the apps with their respective settings.

i53.tinypic.com/jjaa6e.jpg

i52.tinypic.com/15gr281.jpg

thanks in advance!.
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914 / 1
    Everything you want to know, and probably more can be found in these two Apple articles. Or ant least all I know is here, which would make retyping it a pain. ;)

How to Backup, Restore, and Update
    iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring iOS software

About iPad Backups
    iOS: How to back up

Edit: Wow, just rechecked those links and everything has been updated for iOS 5 and iCloud, though they do have an abbreviated procedure for iTunes.

Anyway, in short. Sync is for the stuff you can see in your iTunes library, that includes the Apps themselves. Backup is for the data and settings of the apps and iPad. Not all apps will backup. It depends on how the developer chose to store data.

To be safe, always save copies of your important files from your apps on the computer or in the cloud.

As for Games, it's a gamble. Some games backup and restore, and some don't. And even if they do restore from backup sometimes fails.

Edit: Found a better link for explaining backups. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  3. smithbush14

smithbush14 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iPad 2 Contact Backup

there is not much difference as you have to sync your iPad and iPhone with PC using iTunes for making backup. alternatively you can also use third party utility. it is best for transferring files and having iPad 2 contact backup
  4. nickluke

nickluke iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    when you sync your device to the computer using iTunes it auto backup your device.....usually the settings, text messages, notes, contacts, etc, etc...
    And when you accidently deleted your data, you can use some third-part software to restore them from backup.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.