What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restore from backup or sync?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pappagiorgio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm confused. What´s the difference between syncing and restore from backup? i upgraded to iOS5 but i want to restore all the apps(games) and their respective settings, but when i click on 'Restore from Backup' iTunes says that it will only restore "contacts, calendars and notes", it doesn't say anything about restoring apps and their settings. And when i click on 'Sync Apps' iTunes says that it will delete all apps and stuff from the iPad 2 and i don't know if syncing restores all the apps with their respective settings.

i53.tinypic.com/jjaa6e.jpg

i52.tinypic.com/15gr281.jpg

thanks in advance!.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Everything you want to know, and probably more can be found in these two Apple articles. Or ant least all I know is here, which would make retyping it a pain. ;)

How to Backup, Restore, and Update
iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring iOS software

About iPad Backups
iOS: How to back up

Edit: Wow, just rechecked those links and everything has been updated for iOS 5 and iCloud, though they do have an abbreviated procedure for iTunes.

Anyway, in short. Sync is for the stuff you can see in your iTunes library, that includes the Apps themselves. Backup is for the data and settings of the apps and iPad. Not all apps will backup. It depends on how the developer chose to store data.

To be safe, always save copies of your important files from your apps on the computer or in the cloud.

As for Games, it's a gamble. Some games backup and restore, and some don't. And even if they do restore from backup sometimes fails.

Edit: Found a better link for explaining backups. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946

Last edited:

nickluke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when you sync your device to the computer using iTunes it auto backup your device.....usually the settings, text messages, notes, contacts, etc, etc...
And when you accidently deleted your data, you can use some third-part software to restore them from backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts