What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restored from back up and synced ipad but set up screen and nothing else still showing

DigitalMeowMix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I set up my new Ipad 2 by using the restoring from an iTunes backup option while using wifi.I also synced several times.( it kept canceling) but even when it seems both are done( the restore says its done in the progress bar in itunes and the progress bar on the ipad screen loaded and it the ipad restarted. which i read was the signal that it had restored successfully , and the sync says part 6/6 and then sync complete. i am taken back to the set up screens of language/local/ wifi setup/restore or start new and it shows nothing else. If i try and shut it down it says restore not finished. When I look in iTunes it says the data is on the device but I cannot access it? This happened before and the girl at the genius bar said I had not let the restore and or sync finish. But all signals seemed to show I had? How can I know for sure its all finished restoring/syncing and how do i make sure it does so?
I went through a 4 hour restore and many syncs, so it not like a only did it for 10 minutes and then unplugged before it was done.

I really don't wanna go to the genius bar for the 3rd time since i got it on march 23rd, its embarrassing! I never.
had this trouble with my first ipad.:rolleyes:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When restoring a backup through iTunes there are several stages. The first restores iOS to it's factory state. The second is the restoring of the the iPad's backup. The third is the sync process, where it will copy all your apps, music, and other content back to the iPad. (The backup does not contain the apps themselves, only the data, settings, and contents of those apps).

After each step iTunes will pause, the iPad may restart, and then, after a (hopefully) brief pause, the next part will start.

Now, this description may be a bit dated, it's been quite a while since I've used iTunes to restore a device, but the general outline should be the same.

You probably just need to wait a bit longer, though from your description I'm far from confident that will help.

It could be caused by a multitude of issues. The most likely is the computer itself timing out during the restore. Make sure you're power saving settings don't turn the computer off in the middle. Also, make sure you are using the most up-to-date version of iTunes on your computer.

And that's all I can really offer, other than not being afraid to use those Apple Store geniuses. It's what they are paid for.

The other option is to use iCloud for your backups and restores. That's what I do these days. It takes a bit longer, but (in my experience) almost always finishes, eventually. It can sometimes take a restart or two before all the apps finish downloading. You do need a decent internet connection.

OP
D

DigitalMeowMix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When restoring a backup through iTunes there are several stages. The first restores iOS to it's factory state. The second is the restoring of the the iPad's backup. The third is the sync process, where it will copy all your apps, music, and other content back to the iPad. (The backup does not contain the apps themselves, only the data, settings, and contents of those apps).

After each step iTunes will pause, the iPad may restart, and then, after a (hopefully) brief pause, the next part will start.

Now, this description may be a bit dated, it's been quite a while since I've used iTunes to restore a device, but the general outline should be the same.

You probably just need to wait a bit longer, though from your description I'm far from confident that will help.

It could be caused by a multitude of issues. The most likely is the computer itself timing out during the restore. Make sure you're power saving settings don't turn the computer off in the middle. Also, make sure you are using the most up-to-date version of iTunes on your computer.

And that's all I can really offer, other than not being afraid to use those Apple Store geniuses. It's what they are paid for.

The other option is to use iCloud for your backups and restores. That's what I do these days. It takes a bit longer, but (in my experience) almost always finishes, eventually. It can sometimes take a restart or two before all the apps finish downloading. You do need a decent internet connection.

I will try again with this advice, thank you!

Most reactions

Latest posts