What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote desktop applications

mynameiserich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey people. Now that I've had my iPad 2 for enough time to start trying new things, I've been looking into remote desktop applications. I read some articles and decided to buy the app splashtop. It got great reviews because it can stream the audio from video and music directly to the iPad speakers. I haven't had a chance to bring the iPad to s different network connection yet, but after doing some research it looks like it may not be able to access my computer from another network without some complicated process of opening certain ports on the router, etc. Is this true?

If so, are there any apps that I can do this with over any wifi connection? Not interested in log me in because of the monthly charge. Am willing to pay for an app though. I also tried teamviewer, but it crashed on me within 5 minutes and prompted me to reenter the generated log in info, which would not work if I were away from home.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, aside from being able to use a remote desktop app to listen to iTunes, etc. Is there any kind of app that will let me connect from any network (not just the same wifi such as home sharing) where I can listen to my iTunes library over the wifi connection?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Teamviewer

Cadena96

iPF Noob
Reaction score
go into itunes and search remote desktop or RDP...I'd just look at pictures...it's all very different and depending what you want..there's a few for free you can always try...and rdp controls your home computer, even if you use RDP on a fiber optic 100MB connection, it won't carry music...it will only play it on the home computer...you could get tango to listen on your home network via wifi

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Splashtop is where I put my $. It is fast and can stream very well. While I dont have video of it, I was able to log into my home machine and actually play WoW over the remote connection. Also, Splashtop has great controls for utilizing the mouse buttons that are abscent on the iPad, but still needed on the main machine.

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey people. Now that I've had my iPad 2 for enough time to start trying new things, I've been looking into remote desktop applications. I read some articles and decided to buy the app splashtop. It got great reviews because it can stream the audio from video and music directly to the iPad speakers. I haven't had a chance to bring the iPad to s different network connection yet, but after doing some research it looks like it may not be able to access my computer from another network without some complicated process of opening certain ports on the router, etc. Is this true?

If so, are there any apps that I can do this with over any wifi connection? Not interested in log me in because of the monthly charge. Am willing to pay for an app though. I also tried teamviewer, but it crashed on me within 5 minutes and prompted me to reenter the generated log in info, which would not work if I were away from home.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, aside from being able to use a remote desktop app to listen to iTunes, etc. Is there any kind of app that will let me connect from any network (not just the same wifi such as home sharing) where I can listen to my iTunes library over the wifi connection?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Teamviewer

I use Desktop Connect to work on my old iPad from my work station in the office. The thing I like about Desktop Connect is I can configure multiple log in settings on this app. It's quite solid but the App is not cheap. I think I got it for 9.99 last year. I don't know how much they charge now.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have ruled out LogMeIn and Teamviewer then you have limited your options as far as keeping it simple is concerned. All of the RDP apps I have used would require the same port forwarding as splashtop if you want to use them outside the local network.

Michael

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use splashtop over a remote network nearly everyday. It's the best remote desktop available and works perfectly in windows and mac.

OP
M

mynameiserich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tinman said:
If you have ruled out LogMeIn and Teamviewer then you have limited your options as far as keeping it simple is concerned. All of the RDP apps I have used would require the same port forwarding as splashtop if you want to use them outside the local network.

Michael

Thanks for the help so far. As far as logmein, I have definitely ruled it out, as I do not want a monthly fee. I could give team viewer another try. It will allow me to connect outside of my network? It crashed on me when I tried it upstairs in my house, but I guess if I wrote down the pin and password and it crashes all I'd have to do is re enter it.

fisk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be honest, port forwarding isn't that hard. You just need to go into your router admin panel and forward port 3389 to the IP address of the box you want to connect to. There are plenty of sites with step by step directions if you just google for them.

netsecpro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might want to take a look at WinAdmin. I have it and it is great. You can even set up multiple connections so all you have to do is open the app, choose the machine you wnat to connect to, and WHAMMO! You're connected.:)

Raiderspen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to use team viewer and having difficulty connecting remote. It's saying I need a flash player. Can anyone walk me through the process?

Reaction score
I'm trying to use team viewer and having difficulty connecting remote. It's saying I need a flash player. Can anyone walk me through the process?

Are you connecting with the app or trying to use your browser?
You need the desktop streamer on your desktop and Ipad app on your Ipad and input the user and password into the app

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

j1999t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey guys, so im also looking for a good RDP app for the ipad that works well with mac, ive looked into splashtop and it seems like it will work right, i will be using it in my apartment over wifi as well as over the internet (wifi on other networks, possible 3g using android phone in the future). i wanted to see what you all recommend, i wont do logmein because of the monthly/yearly cost...

thanks much

Justin

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At the present moment, the experimental feature of Splashtop that allows access from outside your local network is only available for PCs. The Mac version is being worked on now. There is a free version of Splashtop available for you to try out (limited viewing time) and, in any case, since upgrades are free you'll lose nothing by going ahead with Splashtop and then downloading the app to go on your Mac when it's available (with the experimental feature)

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts