What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remembering IDs and Passwords

John V

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
First time poster. I hope I'm posting this question in the right place!
I'm a new iPad Air owner after having a first generation iPad for several years. I frequent a couple other hobby forums with very similar features and functions as this one.
On this Air, I found that when I "X" off the sight, (without logging off) I must log back on with my ID & PW when I return. This is happening even though I've selected "Remember Me" on the logon screen. It's happening on this forum as well.
My old iPad, which I keep handy, continues to keep me logged in, so I figure I've got something set wrong on the new iPad.
Sorry, if this is an old question.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
John

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello,
First time poster. I hope I'm posting this question in the right place!
I'm a new iPad Air owner after having a first generation iPad for several years. I frequent a couple other hobby forums with very similar features and functions as this one.
On this Air, I found that when I "X" off the sight, (without logging off) I must log back on with my ID & PW when I return. This is happening even though I've selected "Remember Me" on the logon screen. It's happening on this forum as well.
My old iPad, which I keep handy, continues to keep me logged in, so I figure I've got something set wrong on the new iPad.
Sorry, if this is an old question.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
John

Check that the following is toggled "on": Settings > Safari > Passwords & AutoFill > Names and Passwords. That should prompt Safari to store website information in iCloud Keychain.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll have to enable iCloud Keychain if you want to store the information there.
It will remember your user name and password and enter it when you login to a site stored in Passwords & Autofill.

What did you choose in Settings - Safari - Block Cookies?

Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You'll have to enable iCloud Keychain if you want to store the information there.
It will remember your user name and password and enter it when you login to a site stored in Passwords & Autofill.

I've always felt that this was pure genius! No longer are we required the memorize the credentials for the myriad websites we visit. Third-party apps are great for keeping this information stored, but iCloud Keychain means we don't often need to leave Safari to open another app to find login credentials.

Thank you, Apple!

OP
J

John V

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Names and Passwords was set to ON
Block Cookies has "From third parties and advertisers" checked.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Names and Passwords was set to ON
Block Cookies has "From third parties and advertisers" checked.

Since the functioning is different between your iPad Air and your old iPad, you might benefit from going through the settings on both devices and find which settings are different. This might help bring the device settings into sync. Something has to be different here if the two devices are acting differently.

And, keep in mind that blocking third-party cookies may impact the functionality of some websites - such as those which use the Disqus comment system (you won't be able to log in due to blocked 3rd party cookies).

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What does your browser look like?
This:

image-2985787525.jpg

Or this:

image-1081385627.jpg

The latter is Private Browsing. If this is enabled, Safari doesn’t remember the pages you visit, AutoFill information, and your open tabs aren’t stored in iCloud.

OP
J

John V

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope I did this right...Safari > Do Not track...I turned it on.
While I was stumbling around, I noticed in iCloud that Keychain was OFF.
I still have the dark border across the top of the screen. Phooey.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope I did this right...Safari > Do Not track...I turned it on. While I was stumbling around, I noticed in iCloud that Keychain was OFF. I still have the dark border across the top of the screen. Phooey.
This means you're in Private Browsing, and that's why you have to login every time.
To turn it off, open a new tab and tap "Private" (bottom left), or tap the search/address bar. When the keyboard appears, "Private" is written at the top left of the keyboard. Tap it to end Private browsing.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hope I did this right...Safari > Do Not track...I turned it on.
While I was stumbling around, I noticed in iCloud that Keychain was OFF.
I still have the dark border across the top of the screen. Phooey.

Ok, the dark border means you're in private mode and, as Johanna pointed out, much of the information that some websites use (cookies, tabs, etc.) will not be available to the browser. You can toggle between normal and private mode using the button at the bottom of Safari marked "Private".

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This means you're in Private Browsing, and that's why you have to login every time.
To turn it off, open a new tab and tap "Private" (bottom left), or tap the search/address bar. When the keyboard appears, "Private" is written at the top left of the keyboard. Tap it to end Private browsing.

Hmm.. I never noticed that the private button also appears on the keyboard.

Gotta love these forums :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm.. I never noticed that the private button also appears on the keyboard. Gotta love these forums :)
Mickey330 mentioned it some time ago.

It's great! There's always the possibility to learn something new, and find something you didn't see before. :)

OP
J

John V

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It worked! I'm amazed and thankful for your knowledge and assistance. How is a 63 year old grandpa supposed to know this stuff??

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It worked! I'm amazed and thankful for your knowledge and assistance. How is a 63 year old grandpa supposed to know this stuff??

I'm a 50 year old grandpa and can tell you that the best place to learn about an iPad is right here in these forums :)

Most reactions

Latest posts