Auto logons gone

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by Dakotapix, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Dakotapix

Dakotapix
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    All of a sudden right before our Thanksgiving dinner the auto logons for the several forums I participate in stopped working. Even though I checked all the "Remember Me" check boxes, the info seems lost. Some forums still retain the logon info but make it seems as though I have always logged off when exiting the forum. Funny, but it still works here though. I've gone through the Settings App as thoroughly as I can but seem to be missing something. I'd appreciate any ideas you can offer how to correct this.

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you're on iOS 7, have you gone to Settings>iCloud>Keychain to see if iCloud Keychain is turned on. Turning it on remembers your log on info for the sites you visit.

3. Dakotapix

Dakotapix
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm on an iPad Air with IOS 7.0.4. I turned on Keychain along with Bluetooth. Nothing has changed with this odd behavior. Very frustrating because all was working fine in the brief time I've had this device. I'm wondering if I need to do a reset and restore from a fairly recent backup? All this stuff worked when I bough the Air and restored from my old iPad 1.

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried resetting all settings?

5. Dakotapix

Dakotapix
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Just did that. Did not work.

6. Dakotapix

Dakotapix
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I finally did a complete Reset and restore from a one- week-old backup. All fixed now but I wish I knew what caused the problem. It certainly reminds me of the importance of regular backups though. The most tedious part of the process was waiting for the non- system Apps to be downloaded.

7. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm glad you found a solution that worked. Thanks for letting us know, it may help the next person with a similar problem.

8. Dakotapix

Dakotapix
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hate to say this but after two days the same problem has occurred again. It seems to happen only in forums that I access via Safari. I've read that others have had Safari related problems in 7.0.4. Just wonder if this is another. I'll probably do another reset and restore but this has gotten old.

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Two things.

One, make sure you have not accidentally entered Private Browsing mode. In this mode the URL and tool bar at the top will be a dark gray, instead of white. To exit this mode open a new tab and look in the lower left corner for the Private button. Tap to toggle.

Two, in Settings > Safari make sure the Block Cookies setting is set to Third Party and Advertisers. Never is less secure than it should be. Always will cause the problem you are seeing.

In both cases the problem is caused because Safari will not accept the cookies that sites use to track/remember your login status.

The Keychain service is different. It supposes you are logged out, and will offer to fill in user name and password information when those fields appear, if you have the info saved from a previous login. The saving of this information is not automatic. With Keychain turned on you will be prompted if you want to save that site's login information, after entering it manually.

If you don't like being prompted for that site, you should (if I remember correctly) have the option of saying 'Never ask me for this site' (or something similar).

10. Dakotapix

Dakotapix
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You know I have noticed that "Private" label at the bottom left of my screen on occasion. Never knew what that meant. What I don't understand is how I get my iPad into that mode. I have made the Safari change from "never" to "third party..." etc. I'm still trying to gain understanding about Keychain though.