What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto logons gone

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All of a sudden right before our Thanksgiving dinner the auto logons for the several forums I participate in stopped working. Even though I checked all the "Remember Me" check boxes, the info seems lost. Some forums still retain the logon info but make it seems as though I have always logged off when exiting the forum. Funny, but it still works here though. I've gone through the Settings App as thoroughly as I can but seem to be missing something. I'd appreciate any ideas you can offer how to correct this.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All of a sudden right before our Thanksgiving dinner the auto logons for the several forums I participate in stopped working. Even though I checked all the "Remember Me" check boxes, the info seems lost. Some forums still retain the logon info but make it seems as though I have always logged off when exiting the forum. Funny, but it still works here though. I've gone through the Settings App as thoroughly as I can but seem to be missing something. I'd appreciate any ideas you can offer how to correct this.
If you're on iOS 7, have you gone to Settings>iCloud>Keychain to see if iCloud Keychain is turned on. Turning it on remembers your log on info for the sites you visit.

OP
Dakotapix

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on an iPad Air with IOS 7.0.4. I turned on Keychain along with Bluetooth. Nothing has changed with this odd behavior. Very frustrating because all was working fine in the brief time I've had this device. I'm wondering if I need to do a reset and restore from a fairly recent backup? All this stuff worked when I bough the Air and restored from my old iPad 1.

OP
Dakotapix

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I finally did a complete Reset and restore from a one- week-old backup. All fixed now but I wish I knew what caused the problem. It certainly reminds me of the importance of regular backups though. The most tedious part of the process was waiting for the non- system Apps to be downloaded.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad you found a solution that worked. Thanks for letting us know, it may help the next person with a similar problem.

OP
Dakotapix

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hate to say this but after two days the same problem has occurred again. It seems to happen only in forums that I access via Safari. I've read that others have had Safari related problems in 7.0.4. Just wonder if this is another. I'll probably do another reset and restore but this has gotten old.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Two things.

One, make sure you have not accidentally entered Private Browsing mode. In this mode the URL and tool bar at the top will be a dark gray, instead of white. To exit this mode open a new tab and look in the lower left corner for the Private button. Tap to toggle.

Two, in Settings > Safari make sure the Block Cookies setting is set to Third Party and Advertisers. Never is less secure than it should be. Always will cause the problem you are seeing.

In both cases the problem is caused because Safari will not accept the cookies that sites use to track/remember your login status.

The Keychain service is different. It supposes you are logged out, and will offer to fill in user name and password information when those fields appear, if you have the info saved from a previous login. The saving of this information is not automatic. With Keychain turned on you will be prompted if you want to save that site's login information, after entering it manually.

If you don't like being prompted for that site, you should (if I remember correctly) have the option of saying 'Never ask me for this site' (or something similar).

OP
Dakotapix

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know I have noticed that "Private" label at the bottom left of my screen on occasion. Never knew what that meant. What I don't understand is how I get my iPad into that mode. I have made the Safari change from "never" to "third party..." etc. I'm still trying to gain understanding about Keychain though.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You set Safari to Private browsing by tapping the "Private" button here: image-1469907551.jpg This is what it will look like afterwards when you open a website: image-226533439.jpg Disable the feature here: image-1665171147.jpg

If Keychain is enabled in iCloud, you will be asked whether or not Keychain should save username and password, as soon as you fill in the information and try to login somewhere.

image-3065317861.jpg

You can see the saved passwords in Settings - Safari - Passwords & AutoFill - Saved Passwords.
Whenever you intend to access a website (through Safari) where you have to login, and password and username are saved by keychain, your device will enter those informations. All you have to do is tap "Login" (or "Sign In"...).

Last edited:
OP
Dakotapix

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe my problem centers directly on the private browsing issue. I upgraded to the iPad Air directly from the iPad 1 which still ran on IOS 5. So many new features in 7.0.4. Thanks for the brief tutorial. I have a hunch I'll be able to deal with this as I further learn the new iOS features.

harry.ward

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same issue with same screen with previous sites now white on black.

But cannot see the private toggle

Just been overseas and this happened while away

Tried resetting all but still the same problem of Safari not saving user id and passwords

Any suggestions

Regards

Harry

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is an old thread, about two years old, so iOS has changed a bit.

The Privacy mode switch is now behind the double-squre icon at the top right. Tap on it and you will see "Private" at the top right. Tap to un-highlight and you'll be back in normal mode.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440388417.511932.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440388427.829937.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts