Reading an iBook on the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by iDan, Jan 27, 2010.

1. iDan

iDan
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Short demo of what it will be like reading a book on the iPad:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bnYZpTwpKo]YouTube - Apple - iPad - How to read a book on a iPad - 2010[/ame]

2. mikerm

mikerm
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Oh that's funny. I just downloaded Firefox on this machine, and I don't have the flash plugin installed yet.

I don't know though, reading on an active screen tires my eyes, that's the advantage of eInk.

3. iDan

iDan
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm concerned about the screen as well. I wonder how well it looks in the sunlight?

4. living2345

living2345
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The only thing holding me back from getting an iPad over the Kindle DX is the back lit screen. I just don't know if my eyes can handle the strain.

5. KiltedTim

KiltedTim
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I read lots of electronic books on Windows Mobile and Palm devices with active LCD screens back in the days when PDAs were still a viable market. Never had a problem with eye-strain. My biggest complaint was the size of the screen. I don't anticipate any problems with reading on this device, but, I'm older now, so I guess I'll find out the hard way if it's an issue for me.

6. living2345

living2345
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I just tried out my friends iphone and was reading a book he had on there. I adjusted the brightness and it won't be a problem. Bring on the iPad!!!

7. iDoug

iDoug
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just like the book reader on the iPhone, I think you will be able to adjust the brightness and have the options of a night mode. I read books on my iPhone all the time and I can't wait to actually have some screen real estate so that I can see a whole page all at once :ipad-case:

8. Garbageman

Garbageman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I know that the whole idea of iBook is to make money, but I was swayed from the Kindle and Nook to Sony because they did not allow for free downloads from my public library. Lets be honest even at 9.99 a book if you read several books a week its an option that is nice. As for the screen and LCD display, I'd have to look at it before making a decision. With time you can used to pretty much anything.

9. living2345

living2345
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Can anyone confirm this that we will be able to adjust the brightness and have night mode?

10. Dorje

Dorje
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Well if it is like the iPod you can adjust the brightness from the system preferances (or whatever they call it). I've used it for latenight and very early morning reading. There is also the white on black color invertersion. It's how I check sites like this while my eyes don't want to really be awake.

I don't know if you iBook will have acess to those controls from inside that App. Would be a nice feature to suggest if it's there to start with.