What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question about data base managment

Sebita2305

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a big question about importing data from a PC based database (MS Access) to my Ipad.
I want to manage data from students on my Institute (payments, exams, etc...).
1 - wich software you recommend for creatin the data base on Windows PC
2 - Is there any ipad app capable to import those data from that database via wifi connection.

I was checking with Bento but I can´t really figure it out if it match my requirements.

Hope you can help me:thumbs:

Last edited:

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Sebita2305 said:
I have a big question about importing data from a PC based database (MS Access) to my Ipad.
2 - Is there any ipad app capable to import those data from that database via wifi connection.

I was checking with Bento but I can´t really figure it out if it match my requirements.

Hope you can help me:thumbs:

Take a look at this one....

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/access-mobile-database-client/id387300746?mt=8

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Bento is a pretty good database if you intend to either do all the work on the iPad, or get the Mac OS X version to sync with. The basic .csv import/export options are adequate for creating and/or backing up the essential text portion of the databases, but not for keeping records up to date on devices than can not be directly synced.

If Windows and Access is your preferred desktop solutions, hpulmer's suggestion looks pretty good. There are both iPhone and iPad versions of the app. I don't know enough to offer better.

If everything is up in the air, then you might also want to look at FileMaker Pro. This is the big brother of Bento. A very powerful solution that has both iPad and iPhone clients; able to either work offline and sync, or update the home database directly (when internet is available). Not cheap, but one of the top databases for small business and education.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sebita2305

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok both answer helped me a lot. I think i have understud what bento is for and yes, is not the solution for me right now since i need continuos sync from the windows based computer (the one installed in the institute). Acceding to a mac here in argentina looks like an impossible thing for custom restriction. I am sure Fm pro is the solution but not affordable for me at this point. I think i will try the solution inthe first post to figure it out if it works.

Thank so much for the help.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi Sebita - welcome to the forum! :)

Not sure that I can add much to the already excellent recommendations, but I'm in the same situation, i.e. I have a half dozen personal databases in MS Access; also, I'm recently retired so no need for Access in my previous job (which I used for professional purposes); I need a new home computer and debating between a PC vs. a Mac - I don't plan to buy MS Office w/ Access if I get a PC (too expensive) and Filemaker Pro is also too expensive; I have Bento on my iPad but really is best w/ the program on a Mac for sync reasons, so not a solution for my purposes - this has really been a frustrating situation! So, just a brief outline of my potential solutions.

NOW, what have I done; first, for my 'shorter' databases, I have used 'Numbers' on my iPad by exporting the Access DBs as either an Excel or *.csv file and importing into Numbers; for another, I have used 'Google Drive's online free spreadsheet (importing w/ *.csv option) - BUT, I have 2 CD Access files (classical & non-classical music) which print out to a total of 60 pages! My plan is to first update these on my home PC in Access (have a 10 y/o version) and then export then as Excel and as *.csv files - will then worry about where to place them (either Excel if I get another PC or Numbers if I buy a Mac).

SO, bottom line, there is no easy answer or perfect solution to your situation; I'm not sure how large and complex your Access DB may be, but if BIG & complex, you will likely have more problems - even my larger Access databases are simple, so I'll get along, but can feel the pain for those w/ really big relational databases that will not be easily managed. Good luck and as others have said let us know if you find a solution - I'm still thinking! Dave

OP
S

Sebita2305

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I promise to update the post once y try some of the qnswers you post.
Great forum by the way

Most reactions

Latest posts