Putting a DVD movie onto your Wi-Fi-only iPad

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by Tricon7, May 23, 2012.

1. Tricon7

Tricon7
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have an iPad with only WiFi capability, and we're going on a road trip this weekend. I'd like to watch a select movie or two from my own library on the iPad, but the ones I want to watch don't come with digital versions (they're somewhat older movies). I know that Walmart can digitize your DVDs for you, but from what I understand they can only be watched via the Internet? This wouldn't do me any good, since I'll be driving down the Interstate. Is there a way to store a DVD or two on my iPad? I have the 16 Gb version.

2. kippyw

kippyw
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    AVPlayerHD is what you need. It seamlessly and easily transfers any of your movies over your home wifi. It's super easy. Once you have a movie, and it's loaded on a home PC, or Apple desktop, you surf to a page with the IP address of your iPad, click to browse to where your movie is stored on the PC, hit send. In minutes it has been wirelessly transferred to your iPad. All of this is explained in the ap AVPlayerHAD. This ap also plays all movie & video formats. No additional software is needed for the PC, just a web browser. I think AVPlayerHD is about $2.

3. donka

donka
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    You will first need to get your DVD into a file format that will work with the iPad native movie player or a 3rd party movie playing app.
    Google Handbrake and download and install this. The easiest option is to put in your DVD, select that as the source in Handbrake and then select the ipad preset on the right hand side and then click start. When this is complete, just drag the outfile onto iTunes and then sync your iPad and the movie will copy over and be playable with the built in movie player. There are plenty of guides online to follow for Handbrake but it is free, excellent, good quality and easy to use.

4. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    +1. I have nearly 200 movies ripped now. All done in Handbrake. I also rip from blu-ray. And I use AnyDVDHD to remove copy protection.

I also like and use AVPlayerHD too. Sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with iTunes. With AVPlayerHD on your iPad, you can do a wireless transfer from PC to iPad. It takes longer, but you can do other stuff while it is transferring, so in practice it makes no difference. You just have to remember that whatever you transfer to AVPlayerHD can only be played in that app. You can't see it in the regular video player on the iPad.

5. Tricon7

Tricon7
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    @kippyw, how can access WiFi when I'm driving down the Interstate?

@donka, thanks. I'll give Handbrake a try once I get home.

6. nahmed

nahmed
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Handbrake is the best tool for conversion.

7. pianoman

pianoman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Remember killing copy protection on a DVD is pirating and against the law and as such probably shouldn't be promoted so glibly on our forum.

To the original poster - Apple offers 2 and 3 day rentals for very cheap and you rent them at home before you leave on trip. If you have personal DVD's you own there are many tools to convert.

8. Wolfpuppies3

Wolfpuppies3
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    To the OP - it has absolutely nothing to do with WiFi. Simply move them to iTunes and sync.

9. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    As he said, you do this at home on your wifi before starting the trip.

10. Tricon7

Tricon7
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I think I see what the poster meant now.