What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Putting a DVD movie onto your Wi-Fi-only iPad

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How is putting a movie I own on media and putting it on my home network piracy? How is letting my wife watch it piracy? She can watch the DVD or blu-ray. Giving it to someone else IS piracy. Putting it on the internet is piracy too. Using it inside my own home is not piracy. Letting 10 copies go outside my home would be piracy.
No, AQ, sorry, but you're wrong. Use of music and video is no different than software usage agreement where transmission of a copy and use on multiple iDevices (not accessing the same Apple ID - in the case of music) is expressly prohibited. Simply stated : if any technology you're using allows the movie or music, etc, to be played "at the same time on multiple devices" (in the case of music, not tied to the same Apple ID) it's illegal (piracy). The problem with this topic is people create their own "gray areas" to make things convenient for themselves. If the Mods want to split this topic into its own thread I can share the actual legal wording I've studied for many years. But it's not really a focus on this forum - but it should be IMHO for the same reasons this forum disallows any talk of software piracy repos.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pianoman said:
No, AQ, sorry, but you're wrong. Use of music and video is no different than software usage agreement where transmission of a copy and use on multiple iDevices (not accessing the same Apple ID - in the case of music) is expressly prohibited. Simply stated : if any technology you're using allows the movie or music, etc, to be played "at the same time on multiple devices" (in the case of music, not tied to the same Apple ID) it's illegal (piracy). The problem with this topic is people create their own "gray areas" to make things convenient for themselves. If the Mods want to split this topic into its own thread I can share the actual legal wording I've studied for many years. But it's not really a focus on this forum - but it should be IMHO for the same reasons this forum disallows any talk of software piracy repos.

I've been in the software business and I am not aware of any 'one' software agreement. There are a bunch of inconsistent and hardly enforceable agreements. Likewise you should remember that there is no one law regarding music or video copyright across countries. The legal wording while interesting is not relevant as it has never been tested against anyone streaming 10 videos to different devices they own at the same time.

I think most of us know what piracy is. You'd be surprised at some of the interpretations some lawyers and lawmakers have. It's not a matter of creating one's own gray areas but rather judging the gray area between one persons interpretation and another's. You don't really believe that laws were created by god and are eternal and unchanging, do you?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@pianoman. You have the same posting rights as all other members. If you would like to start a thread to discuss what constitutes piracy, and set out your rules of engagement, I'm sure there are many of us who would find it worthwhile to join in.

I will respectfully turn down your offer to do it via PM as I would like any education to be available to the whole forum, as well as having the opportunity to read different points of view on the subject.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, Handbrake was a total failure as far as being able to transfer my DVD to digital. It locked up twice and errored out when I tried to select the DVD drive as the source. As far as the other poster's program suggestion, it works only *after* the DVD movie is in digital form on the computer. My problem is - getting it from the DVD to digital.

That is unusual, works for many people. Have you tried playing back a little of the movie before you try to select the DVD as the source? Just a few seconds in any movie player on your computer should suffice.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Whenever I use Handbrake it is always in concert with AnyDVDHD.

OP
T

Tricon7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is unusual, works for many people. Have you tried playing back a little of the movie before you try to select the DVD as the source? Just a few seconds in any movie player on your computer should suffice.

No, but I can try that. I'm not overly optimistic at this point, though.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@pianoman,

I disagree (that's nice for nonsense). If I buy a CD, DVD, or blu-ray and it gets damaged, I have no choice but to buy it again, unless I make a backup copy. Hence, I make backups that are stored on magnetic media that I can stream to any device in my home (and out of my home using my cloud stuff like Popoplug). This way, I can protect my investment from damage by packing it away. BTW, streaming the same title to two location generally won't work with Blu-ray because the file is huge and is stored on a single hard drive. Trying ot access that same movie from a single hard drive gives "issues" with playback. I can, however, stream other stuff at the same time. Over a gigabit connection I could probably stream 5 or 6 blu-rays at the same time, provide they are not on the same hard drive. According to my DVD Profiler Database, I currently have some 1620 titles in my collection (many of these are multiple discs and many even came with a digital copy, which I never use because they are in general crappy).

And since you are telling me that what I am doing with media I bought and use inside my own home is stealing, what exactly do you call what Wal-mart is doing with this service they offer to any Joe Blow off the street (with no proof that they even bought the title)?

Wal-Mart previews 'Disc to Digital' movie service

Last edited:

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, but I can try that. I'm not overly optimistic at this point, though.

I normally use another application to rip the DVD complete to the computer and then use the likes of handbrake to convert this DVD image file to a format for playback on my NAS or the iPad but it should also rip directly from the DVD drive using Handbrake. I typically just do this as it is a faster process when the DVD image is on your hard drive as opposed to the dvd disc.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One option is to use makemkv, as that will strip off cp. then use handbrake on that mkv file to compress to m4v. The beta of both are free.

Most reactions