What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem with synching pictures

slivitmi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just received my iPAD2 and spent the last days in configuring the apps. Everything works well (including GoodReader for transferring and reading pdf); my only problem so far is with synching pictures using iTunes. I tried the procedure but always get the following message:

"certain pictures were not copied to the iPAD because it is impossible to display them (translated from french);

no matter the pictures sise, the number of pictures in the folders on my computer, I always end-up with this message and only one picture in the Photos folder (or 2 pictures from the first folder if I try using 2 folders on my computer).

Very weird; l anyone can help

using: IPAD2 4.3.2 ; itunes 10.2.2 ; Win7

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your pictures must be in the standard .jpg format and extension. I don't believe .jpeg extensions will work. You can just change the .jpeg to .jpg and it should work fine. Most RAW formats, CR2, NEF for example, won't work either. Convert them to .jpg first.

OP
S

slivitmi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All my pictures are in .jpg format.
No problem emaiing them to my IPAD2

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't emailing them reduce the size of the file? I have had a hard time emailing photos anywhere and having them received full size.

Reaction score
Pocobear said:
Doesn't emailing them reduce the size of the file? I have had a hard time emailing photos anywhere and having them received full size.

Not emailing reduces the size, importing onto the iPad does. Both when syncing photos via iTunes, as well as importing via camera connection kit do the photos get 'optimized' for the iPad screen.

But once loaded onto the iPad can you email them in full size. Just make sure, you send them in actual size:

When writing the email, tap on Cc/Bcc and select Actual Size from the newly opened menu.

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem when syncing photos to my iPhone. Eventually what fixed it was I had to repair my aperture library. Are you using iPhoto, aperture, or some other photo organization software?

OP
S

slivitmi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using my brand new iPad2
No photo organization software

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
slivitmi said:
Using my brand new iPad2

Oh oops just saw that you're on win7. Perhaps those certain photos are corrupted? Do you have any photo editing software? If not try downloading picasa or something similar, then open one of the offending photos, and re-save as a new photo, and try to sync the new photo (put in it's own folder just in case).

And while you're at it, close itunes, then enable the feature to let you see hidden photos on your PC and delete any folders named "iPod photo cache". This will make iTunes remake the folder just in case that was corrupted.

Last edited:
OP
S

slivitmi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The picture was sent from ACDSee (my photo software- original size 2048x1536.)
Resent back from iPad2 to my computer, where it arrived in 2048x1536.

OP
S

slivitmi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
None of the picture I tried are corrupted; I checked for this eventuality number of times. I look at them often with my photo management software (ASDSee).

Ater closing iTunes as suggeste I erased the "ipod photo cache" from my computer and tried to re-synch again the 26 files in the original folder. The message came back and the 26 files folder ended-upo as one picture album named "Bibliothèque"

I tried also to email them back-and-forth computer-to-ipad and it worked well retaining the original size (2048z1536).

slivitmi said:
Using my brand new iPad2

Oh oops just saw that you're on win7. Perhaps those certain photos are corrupted? Do you have any photo editing software? If not try downloading picasa or something similar, then open one of the offending photos, and re-save as a new photo, and try to sync the new photo (put in it's own folder just in case).

And while you're at it, close itunes, then enable the feature to let you see hidden photos on your PC and delete any folders named "iPod photo cache". This will make iTunes remake the folder just in case that was corrupted.

OP
S

slivitmi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried number of simple different names : always the same identical results.

Installed iTynes on my Dell M-4500 laptop (with similar OS), repeated the procedure and got exactly same negative results.

The problem must be somewhere in the iPad or the french version of the OS.

I am really baffled, discouraged and disappointed - brand new iPad

slivitmi, do you reckon there is any chance the iPad may not work with your folder names? Perhaps the folder names include some unsupported symbols?

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
slivitmi, do you reckon there is any chance the iPad may not work with your folder names? Perhaps the folder names include some unsupported symbols?

This may seem a daft question, but try as I might, I cannot find a page which defines the various icons against posts.
The red and green buttons to the lower right of Avatars,
the paper clip (attachment?)
or the bar chart are examples.

The help pages are decidedly not in this quest for information

The searches turn up anything but.... Games, what to buy etc come up, but nothing of any help.

Despite my hamfisted blundering around the forums, I am loving my iPad

Reaction score
Richard Brown said:
page which defines the various icons against posts.
The red and green buttons to the lower right of Avatars,
the paper clip (attachment?)
or the bar chart are examples.

The red and green circles indicate, whether the user is currently online (green), or offline. The paper clip does indeed mean that there is at least on attachment. But I am not sure, which bar charts yo mean, are they perhaps Polls?

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
The red and green circles indicate, whether the user is currently online (green), or offline. The paper clip does indeed mean that there is at least on attachment. But I am not sure, which bar charts yo mean, are they perhaps Polls?

Perhaps he means the batteries. Those represent number of forum replies. More replies equates to more batteries.

Most reactions

Latest posts