What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Problem With Push Email

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have my ipad setup using echange with gmail...has worked fine but for some reason today its not pushing my mail. I deleted my account and re entered it and it still isnt fetching mail until I manually refresh. Anyone else having problems?

OP
Munky

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok, i just set up another gmail address and added it as an exchange account to my ipad and email to it are pushed fine. what could be causing exchange not to push one account, but the other works fine?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Don't know why it would have suddenly changed, and it should not affect an Exchange account, but go into the GMail web interface and check your Forwarding and POP/IMAP settings. Make sure IMAP is enabled.

Another place that shouldn't have changed is the Fetch settings on your iPad. Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars >> Fetch New Data; make sure push is turned on, then go into avanced and make sure you accunt is set to Push.

Don't forget to try turning the iPad off and on, or as a soft reset if that doesn't work.

And sometimes GMail just hangs. I've seen it happen and correct itself before.

OP
Munky

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok...did some more messing around with it and created a new folder/label in my gmail and set the ipad push seeting to the inbox and this new label. I created a filter to sent all new email to this folder and when I sent a test email, it pushed it to the ipad instantly, but it does not show a badge for the new folder. the push seems to be messed up on my inbox only.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is to change to Manual or Fetch, for some mail through, then switch back to Push and see if it resets things.

It sounds like you're going to Settings >> Mail, Contacts, Calendars, selecting your account and changing things in Mail Folders to Push. but if you haven't, then check this too. You can select multiple folders here. So maybe deselecting the Inbox, letting it run for a while, and the selecting it again will reset something. Then again, maybe this only effects outgoing mail.

I know that Google has recently started rolling out it's Priority Inbox to all users. You could check that setting and try with it on or off. Mine is currently off.

That's all I can think of for now.

OP
Munky

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've checked everything. And like I said, I made a new gmail account and set it up on exchange on the ipad and it pushes the inbox just fine. The only reason I dont switch over to using this new account is my google voice text notifications. I can't make my new account my primary email for my google voice account. Other than that it's just a matter of switching all my website memberships to the new email which isnt a problem.

OP
Munky

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I'm just going to give out my new google voice number if the problem doesnt correct itself in the next day or so. I've already switched all my website memberships to the new email.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hardly the ideal solution, but I"m glad you at least have one. Let us know if you ever figure out what the original problem was.

trish8399

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just today this started
When I want to view a message - it is stuck behind the notification and unable to read. It says no message selected.....?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try restarting the iPad. Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears, then slide it off. When it is completely off, hold the button again for a couple secods to turn on. This fixes most weird problems.

Most reactions

Latest posts