What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Printer

daledevon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an hp office jet 6000 e609n printer. I went to the hp website to look for drivers, they only list Mac os. Is there a way to get the printer to work. With the iPad.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see that printer on the list of "Air Print" ready printers (as used for iOS 4.2). However there are a number of third party apps avail. that may well work with that one. Check out the AppShopper app. to browse for some.

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, yours is not supported. I have used AirPrint supported printers and they are wonderful but only released in November. Check out some third party apps or make up a reason to get a new printer.

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's my most recent list

Oops, I'll try that again

Attachments

• image-789236422.jpg
    image-789236422.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 387

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Airprint capable printers

HP Photosmart Plus e-AiO printers that will work with AirPrint out of the box:

Photosmart e-AiO D110
Photosmart Wireless e-AiO B110
Photosmart Plus e-AiO B210
Photo Smart Premium e-AiO B310
Photosmart Premium Fax e-AiO C410
HP ENVY e-Aio D410
Photosmart eStation C510

HP Photosmart Wireless e-AiO printers will require a firmware upgrade to work with AirPrint:

LaserJet Pro M1536dnf Multifunction Printer
LaserJet Pro CM1415fn Color Multifunction Printer
LaserJet Pro CM1415fnw Color Multifunction Printer
LaserJet Pro CP1525n Color Printer
LaserJet Pro CP1525nw Color Printer

Printers added to AirPrint that require firmware upgrade

HP Officejet 6500A e-All-in-One
HP Officejet 6500A Plus e-All-in-One
HP Officejet 7500A Wide Format e-All-in-One (pictured)
HP Officejet Pro 8500A e-All-in-One
HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus e-All-in-One
HP Officejet Pro 8500A Premium e-All-in-One

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can get AirPrint to work with any printer as long as it is shared on your network and the computer it is connected to is powered up. It isn't the ideal solution probably, but it sure is cheaper than buying a new printer. I have a HP 5L (bought in 1995) and a HP 2410 (probably close to 10 years old) both working with AirPrint and it works great.

Mixz1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gee, I forgot that the only company making printers in the whole wide universe is HP. At least according to Apple. I wonder if Jobs is a stockholder?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gee, I forgot that the only company making printers in the whole wide universe is HP. At least according to Apple. I wonder if Jobs is a stockholder?
Yeah, it looks that way but it probably has to do with the fact that only HP had the will to invest quickly and heavily in the new way of printing that Apple wanted. No upstart can do that and you'd certainly need to be a very sturdy company to have the guts to put it all on a new way of doing.

Personally I think the output of this way of printing is too crappy. I like to decide how my printables are displayed on a sheet of paper. It's very important to me.

Mixz1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, it looks that way but it probably has to do with the fact that only HP had the will to invest quickly and heavily in the new way of printing that Apple wanted. No upstart can do that and you'd certainly need to be a very sturdy company to have the guts to put it all on a new way of doing.

Personally I think the output of this way of printing is too crappy. I like to decide how my printables are displayed on a sheet of paper. It's very important to me.

(Taking off joker cap) I don't think Canon, Brother, Epson, Kodak, Lexmark or Sharp are "upstarts". Moreover, almost any computing device you could buy can map an IP address and send correctly formatted print commands to it, depending on the drivers installed. Any Mac can do it. The "new way of printing that Apple wanted" seems to be a new way of forcing you to buy a new printer or pay for an app that does a mediocre job of printing.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

(Taking off joker cap) I don't think Canon, Brother, Epson, Kodak, Lexmark or Sharp are "upstarts". Moreover, almost any computing device you could buy can map an IP address and send correctly formatted print commands to it, depending on the drivers installed. Any Mac can do it. The "new way of printing that Apple wanted" seems to be a new way of forcing you to buy a new printer or pay for an app that does a mediocre job of printing.
Mediocre? You can say that again...and even worse.:p
Of course they want to sell us more printers...well, more like ink cartridges. Apple is trying to downsize the size of drivers needed for printers. That's laudable but to that extent? It's like forcing bicycles on race car drivers!

Most reactions

Latest posts