Print to Wireless Direct Printer

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by ron6962, Apr 24, 2018.

1. ron6962

ron6962
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I am a novice with iPad, so hopefully my question makes sense. I am in a retirement building where internet access is provided with an existing wide area network. Attaching a printer to the network is not supported, therefore I am unable to connect my printer to that network. I can print to my printer from my computer with a USB cable, but I would also like to print to the printer from my iPad. My printer is Wireless Direct capable, so I can connect the iPad directly to the printer's built-in network and print whatever is on my iPad. However, I would like to be able to be connected to the internet via my provided local network "and" be able to print to the wireless direct printer without logging off one network and logging onto another.

Can this be done? Can I be connected my local network for internet access and also print to the wireless direct printer? Any advice very much appreciated. Thank you.

2. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Your printer manufacturer may have an app for that. Check in the App Store.

3. ron6962

ron6962
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply. Already checked for an app, unfortunately, they all require the iPad and the printer to be on the same network...and that is my problem.

4. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    What make/ model of printer do you have? It maybe that the Printer Pro lite app by Readdle may help you.

5. ron6962

ron6962
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. I can check that out, but pretty sure it will also require both the printer and the iPad to be on the same network. The printer is an Epson Workforce 545.

6. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    You will need to go to Settings/ Wifi on your iPad and connect it to the printer.

The slight drawback here is that you can only connect to the printer or to your normal wifi connection (e.g. internet); not both at the same time. Once you have the two in your list of wifi connections, changing is straight forward.

If you want to print something on the internet, use the Safari ‘Create PDF’ online; save the PDF and then print the pdf when next connected to the printer.

I hope this helps.

7. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I looked at the user manual and it does not give the default IP address of the printer. They do mention a network status page, which may give the IP address.

8. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Can you buy your own wireless router, put it on your building's network, then use its own wifi to connect your stuff?

9. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Good idea, LannyC. The router may not even need to be connected to the building’s network.

10. ron6962

ron6962
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the reply. I did try that and while inconvenient, it does work. Printing an email is more difficult, so was hoping I could find a solution that allows staying on one network.