What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Portable iPad charger, which one?

Mv-ixius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am going on holiday in a couple of weeks, 12hr flight and a 2hr coachride at the other end, so I am looking for a portable charger so I don't run out of juice on the plane/coach.

I don't want to spend a lot as it's not something that will be used much when I am back at home, I have found three likely candidates and just wanted some opinions on what would be the best of them,

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-Universal-Ericsson-Incredible-Blackberry/dp/B000NDQ92W/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top]TeckNet iEP380 5000mAh Universal USB Battery Pack For: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Trent-ultra-pack-External-Blackberry/dp/B003Y58CVC/ref=pd_cp_ce_1]New Trent ultra-pack IMP50B 5000 mAh External Battery: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Battery-Pack-iPad-Batteries/dp/B003PV3NTQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1283818278&sr=1-3]Portable Battery Pack and Charger Adapter For Apple: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics[/ame]

Rahb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
might I suggest you look at the realtek ipad 4 in 1 charger. I just got my ipad, so I do not have one. I have the Hottips version for my pone however. It will plug into a 12v power port most planes have these, especially if it is a 12 hr flight. or just get a 12v car adapter and use on plane. since you are in UK, you will not be able to use the 110v option it comes with

for anyone interested, the part number is ETIPADCHG41 you can find it at places like tigerdirect. I have not seen any reviews on it either. it will let you charge your iphone and ipad with the same charger (it claims)

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would definitely stay away from the one that uses the AA batteries. I used something similar for my iPod Touch, but I don't think it has nearly enough power for an iPad. Unless you are planning on watching videos, rading or playing games (or whatever!) for the entire duration of the flight, you probably won't need the external power pack. You have to sleep some time, right? If you plan on using it to listen to music with the screen off, there is enough power to last for several days.

Zane80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got this portable charger during a business trip that was recommended by my colleagues.

My first view of the YN - 642 power bank is that it is built like a tank: heavy, solid and a pretty white smooth surface. The packaging is in plastic and not paper or cardboard which is common with most modern packaging. However, the surface is a fingerprint magnet but I will not be holding it all the time.

Now to the performance part, I am a iPhone user and incredibly, I can fully charge my iPhone for a whole a week and not use the standard charger. After a week, I would obviously recharge the powerbank again. The 8 changeable connectors including a mini USB might be a tad too many, but it is always good to be future-proof. I find that one of the connector fits my PSP which I have not been playing for a while, but at least it I won't need to bring a power adaptor outdoors.

I suppose Samsung users and Apple users will appreciate the fact that it will charges the Samsung Galaxy Tab and phones and for the Apple-lovers, the iPhone and iPad and iPod too.

More about charging, 2 indicators will appears while charging, one with 5 indicators which shows the power levels remaining in the power bank and the other indicator/ ON button which indicate if the device is still charging or fully charged. There is only one button on the power bank which is very Apple-like.

Pros: Monstrous capacity at 10+ K mAh, just like a tank.
******* Apple-like design and I forgot to mention the built-in white LED torchlight that helps to find the devices' port in the darkness.

Cons: Two USB outputs needed for different brands but won't be much of a problem if you only use a few brands of device. Apple users won't be likely to buy the Samsung Tab, make sense?

After typing everything, I suddenly discover that this post is about a year old!!!

aliman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TeckNet iEP380 can support most of mobile devices which require 5V 0.7A(Max) input. And Iphone 4 is 5V 1A and Ipad 2 is 5V2.1A. So my suggestion is to buy a power charger is 1A or over 1A. The YN-642 Zane80 mentioned can be a choice.
I also got a question, can this YN-642 powered my iphone and ipad at the same time? Since I read there are two usb port one for 1A and one for 2A.

Zane80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TeckNet iEP380 can support most of mobile devices which require 5V 0.7A(Max) input. And Iphone 4 is 5V 1A and Ipad 2 is 5V2.1A. So my suggestion is to buy a power charger is 1A or over 1A. The YN-642 Zane80 mentioned can be a choice.
I also got a question, can this YN-642 powered my iphone and ipad at the same time? Since I read there are two usb port one for 1A and one for 2A.

Yeap, it can charge a iPhone and a iPad at the same time but not 2 iPad. You should be able to buy it easily on Amazon or eBay.

aliman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. I happen to find this YN-642 here when I am shopping a gps for my camera. I already ordered one and will try it then.

Zane80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good for you aliman, the 642 might be heavier than an iPhone but it can go for a long time without charging and has a high capacity that you can share with your friends if they ever needed any power.

Of course if you prefer something smaller, the same brand has smaller models to suit different needs. But most importantly, it should not stop working only after a few months and give the owner a headache.

aliman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got mine YN-642. Charged my cell phone, E-book, MP3 for several times. After fully charged, they can all last as what they used to be. Quite good.

bukzin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For a smaller and lighter option have a look at Monoprice.com

these will travel nicely in your pants pocket

Zane80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may be an option. iXP1-500 iPad/iPad2 Power Adapter

Contact Us

Anyone checked it out yet?

Won't using the cable defeat the purpose at all as it will shorten the battery time of your laptop instead, unless your iPad has no power left and your notebook still has full power.

I would rather get the best of both worlds by having a fully charge notebook and a iPad or tablet by just using my portable YB 642. I cannot guarantee that my notebook is always full powered. The powerplug for the notebook isnt exactly light too.

Zane80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also need a portable charger )". Any recommendations guys?tnx

Do you need a big one or a smaller one? The big one can charge an iPhone for a few times to full charge.

I can recommend mine to you if you want. What do you say?

aliman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went back to my hometown, by taking the train for almost 40 hours. This YN-642 do help me a lot.It helped me to read E-book and playing games for almost 2 whole days.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts