What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playing .avi on Ipad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
B

barriejohn69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I'm doing at the moment. It takes a bit of time but works.

Arthur Hucksake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

I had been looking for time saving solutions in the encoding process and come across an absolute gem.

xttp://blog.perstechlife.com/tag/ipad/

Basically, you change the container type to mp4 and just re-encode the audio to AAC. It saves lots of time and I've found it to work on all sorts of files, including 720p MKVs with bit rates over 3000kb. This device can play so much more than I realised.

7 out of 10 files have synced fine over iTunes with this method also!

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I'm doing at the moment. It takes a bit of time but works.

I do feel your pain. I wish iTunes could do it - or the iPad could support more formats.

But I'm willing to stay realistic and hope for an iTunes way to chew the bits so my iPad (and more importantly his battery) doesn't have to.

rcxiii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Want to play .avi files on your iPad? There's An App For That.

Try OPlayer HD.
xttp://itunes.apple.com/us/app/oplayer-hd/id373236724?mt=8

It's not perfect, there's some issues with audio/video syncing and it only takes low-res videos (under 800x600) but it works fairly well for things like South Park and some old videos I've downloaded. Haven't tried a movie yet but shouldn't be too much of a problem - the frame rates kind of suck but its something.

Igotweed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Drag drop anything to iPad answer and avi igotweed

O player HD is more better then mx tube and dtunes and you don't even have to hack your iPad to get it you can get it on the app store download any video and song off any site......... check out technorocker ..and someone tell if there something better. And get cydia and install installous and ifile

Downlaod o player HD for free with installous and ifile from cydia you can use ifile transfer any video or song format to o player HD. And to answer you flv avi mp3 any file you can drag and drop to iPad from any pc and play them trust me all I do is drag and drop to iPad music video games photos anything PDF man the iPad can do anything remember that's why you bought it

OP
B

barriejohn69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I looked it said oplayer HD was $4.99. Am I doing something wrong.

gouletjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Me too. It lagged sometimes but otherwise very good. I hate to convert my videos.

atlix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
O player HD is more better then mx tube and dtunes and you don't even have to hack your iPad to get it you can get it on the app store download any video and song off any site......... check out technorocker ..and someone tell if there something better. And get cydia and install installous and ifile

Downlaod o player HD for free with installous and ifile from cydia you can use ifile transfer any video or song format to o player HD. And to answer you flv avi mp3 any file you can drag and drop to iPad from any pc and play them trust me all I do is drag and drop to iPad music video games photos anything PDF man the iPad can do anything remember that's why you bought it

Hi,

Can you explain how to transfer files by dragging them in Windows? I can only do it using wifi and webserver. If I try in iTunes, it still gives an error.

Gutterville

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possoble to transfer avi's and play them on the Ipad? I transferred one (from windows) using diskaid but it wouldn't play via fileapp pro. I can convert the files into mp4 but it takes quite a while.

Basically I'm hoping for a type of drag and drop scenario.

The best AVI player is called cinexplayer its free and it will play anything lag free too

you should get it before Apple zaps it for being so good

Last edited:

lumberjak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CineXplayer I find is not as good as Oplayer. Half my avi's never work on it. Apple also will not yank it off, why would they, Oplayer and YxPlayer have been on the App store for a while now...with better functionality.

Jailbreak your iPad, load iFile onto it from Cydia, and either wifi your data over or even better get the camera connection kit and copy avi's to a memory card and copy paste them into the proper application folder.

No fuss and soooooo much less a hassle than any other way of watching/using media.

Oplayer, iFile and camera connection kit, best combo ever!

Arthur Hucksake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First three .avi files I tried on CineXplayer didn't work. Got rid, gone back to OPlayer. One that plays everything i've tried so far.

Lxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Watching video on the IPad

Hi Everyone

This is my first post

I came across this article on this subject.
I haven't tried it as yet, your Ipad doesn't need to be jailbroken.
Unfortunately I can't post the link as it's only my first post.

Go to wired.com _ gadgetlab

The article is titled
How To: Watch Any Video on iPad, No Conversion Required.

Hope the above helps

Lxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

This is my first post

I came across this article on this subject.
I haven't tried it as yet, your Ipad doesn't need to be jailbroken.
Unfortunately I can't post the link as it's only my first post.

Go to wired.com _ gadgetlab

The article is titled
How To: Watch Any Video on iPad, No Conversion Required.

Hope the above helps

Here's acute & paste from the article it uses a free program called Avidemux.

Confused? Here’s an example. I open up a video file in Avidemux. Let’s use The Wire, season two, episode one, a 367.4 MB AVI file. It offers to “Rebuild Frames†for me, so I click yes. This takes less around ten seconds. In the drop-downs on the left, I pick the audio (AAC) and video (MP4) formats, leaving everything else alone. Then I hit save (Command-S on the Mac) and give the file a name along with the extension MP4. This needs to be done manually – the software doesn’t name files automatically.

I click “Save†and this box pops up. Yes, that counter is accurate. Two minutes later I have a file that I can drop into iTunes and watch on my iPad. The video quality is unchanged from the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions