What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play 720 P / 1080 P Mkv files in Ipad 3

tarun8585

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am unable to play HD mkv movies in ipad 3. My ipad is not jailbroken and running ios 6.0.1. So i cant jailbreak for now.
I have Azul player / Oplayer HD... Both works fine with avi files. But doesn't work with 720 p mkv files. I did bit of research on this , and it seems these players used to support these , but not anymore due to ac3 codec license issue from Dolby. so all Players removed ac3 codec support and most of the Mkvs is using ac3 only.

I have 1 TB of files in MKV.. I have PAV Tube converter and it is painful to convert all those as it takes hours to convert.

So i dont want to spend much time on conversion. Is there any player in appstore that supports ac3 codec and can play HD mkvs?

Norsky48

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am unable to play HD mkv movies in ipad 3. My ipad is not jailbroken and running ios 6.0.1. So i cant jailbreak for now.
I have Azul player / Oplayer HD... Both works fine with avi files. But doesn't work with 720 p mkv files. I did bit of research on this , and it seems these players used to support these , but not anymore due to ac3 codec license issue from Dolby. so all Players removed ac3 codec support and most of the Mkvs is using ac3 only.

I have 1 TB of files in MKV.. I have PAV Tube converter and it is painful to convert all those as it takes hours to convert.

So i dont want to spend much time on conversion. Is there any player in appstore that supports ac3 codec and can play HD mkvs?

Try AVPlayer HD available at the App Store. It works for me - mp4, avi, mkv

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to travel. So last night I drag 110GB of mkv into DVD Catylist. That's 10 episodes all ripped bit-perfect from blu-ray. I did a batch convert to mp4. It was all done when I woke up this morning.

There is no way you can watch 1TB of stuff at once....just batch convert stuff in a queue...a new batch every night. You will have plenty to watch while new stuff is being converted. It's not the big deal you seem to think it is.

apanek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just recently discovered QuikIO video player and it works great for downloading video locally to iPad for offline video playback. It is free app right now and seems to play pretty much any video format I throw at it.

I recently converted some VHS to MP4 using my old ReplayTv and then dumped the files to my PC using DVArchive. In the past I had to strip the first few seconds of the MP4 created by the Replay as it puts header information in the MP4 for commercial advance feature of the Replay. QuickIO was able to read and play the native File without any conversion. I was watching locally/offline old VHS movies on my iPad on a recent 6 hour trip.

Sendai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh the joys of knowing how to use command line tools to switch containers MKV -> MP4. FFMPEG for the MFW.

OP
T

tarun8585

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to travel. So last night I drag 110GB of mkv into DVD Catylist. That's 10 episodes all ripped bit-perfect from blu-ray. I did a batch convert to mp4. It was all done when I woke up this morning.

There is no way you can watch 1TB of stuff at once....just batch convert stuff in a queue...a new batch every night. You will have plenty to watch while new stuff is being converted. It's not the big deal you seem to think it is.

Thanks for the reply. Pavtube was good but it was slower. i will try DVD catalyst. But i still prefer if there is a app which could just play right away. will keep looking. I read about Cinexplayer HD... But reviews are mixed. Does it actually play 720 P/1080 P MKVs?

OP
T

tarun8585

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found XMedia Recode, and it looks cool. i dont know how it works this fast. I think it doesnt re-encode complete mkv again. It is open source Freeware so you can just download it give a try. I converted a 4 GB file from HD mkv to mp4 in just 6 mins without any loss in Quality. The fastest converter i used til now. I am xploring the options to convert more than one file at same rate. Make sure follow all the steps in this
How To Perfectly Convert MKV to MP4 for Apple TV | Apartment Therapy

Last edited:

mrcupu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
have you try the free app vlc media player yet although its not perfect but at least it might help your needs maybe:ipad-keyboard:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Pavtube was good but it was slower. i will try DVD catalyst. But i still prefer if there is a app which could just play right away. will keep looking. I read about Cinexplayer HD... But reviews are mixed. Does it actually play 720 P/1080 P MKVs?

I was going to recommend AVPlayerHD...it is what I use and it seems to play everything...but it is no longer in the App Store.

On the compression thing....all my mkv's are ripped without any compression...bit-perfect. That's because my primary viewing device is a TV...but when I travel, I compress things to mp4 so I can view on my tablets. Picking the right one is a big deal...if you try to have no compression or choice a high-bit rate, then you might end up with longer run times. In DVD Catalyst, I use iPad HQXT, which is what the author (a supporting vendor here with a subforum devoted to his product) recommends. I think it works very well. I've been crunching down another season one series to take with me. It helps if you have more than one PC.

OP
T

tarun8585

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AVPlayerHD is back to US appstore today. What a timing.. Those who want it, grab it before its taken down again!!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AVPlayerHD is back to US appstore today. What a timing.. Those who want it, grab it before its taken down again!!

Thanks for the tip. As far as I can tell, it is the same version I have. Anyone know why it was removed from the AppStore.

Last edited:

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Thanks for the tip. As far as I can tell, it is the same version I have. Anyone know why it was removed from the AppStore.

AC3 codec licensing issue. You will notice a lot of other apps had to remove AC3 codec from their app due to the same licensing issue. Instead of removing the feature, they removed the app from the App Store. AVPlayerHD is the first I've seen that have resolved this. must have paid whatever fee was being asked. Others are still AC3-less.

longspears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for mkv format video, you need to convert it to mp4 format ipad, or you need a player

Most reactions

Latest posts