What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos vs Photo Stream

jamby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When iCloud backs up my camera roll does it back up both the photo stream and photos? Their are a lot of duplicates between the two so I don't want to waste iCloud space.

I am using an iPad 3.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, the photo stream isn't part of the camera roll backup, but it is stored in iCloud. The photo stream is not counted against your storage limit though :)

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
are you sure ?

Positive. If the photo stream was included in the camera roll backup (and more important importantly counted against your storage) I'd be WAY over my quota. My photo stream by itself is over 2GB right now, and my camera roll is a little over 1GB, that's 3GB and that's 1.5GB more than what my iPad and iPhone are using right now for their backups :)

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The photo stream is in iCloud. The camera roll is local.

Not entirely accurate since the photos you see in the Photos app in the photo stream are stored locally :)

The question asked was about whether it not those local copies are included in the camera roll backups.

Although reading everything again I do realize I should have been more specific in that anything still in the camera roll is backed up even if it's already in the photo stream as well. It's just the photo stream copies don't count against your used storage.

Most reactions

Latest posts