What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copying photos

Bluejak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought that one advantage of iCloud was my photos were automatically copied across the three iCloud items I have, namely an iPad mini, an iPhone, and a Microsoft laptop with the relevant software.

First, I do not understand the difference between the camera roll and the stream. Presumably all photos in the camera roll should go into the stream, yes?

Second, the stream should be the same across all three devices, yes? Currently there are 171 photos on my iPad, 175 on my iPad, and 15 on my laptop! I want to delete them from my iPad and iPhone since I want only a dozen on each of them. My idea was to move from the photo stream on my laptop either to places I want or to delete any unwanted ones, and then I assumed the remaining ones will be the same across all three. Why is this not working, please?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
Bluejak

Bluejak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I have read all that, and it seems to me that My PhotoStream only remains active for 30 days. Fair enough.

But the suggestion in what you gave me to read was that you can back up all your pictures via iCloud, backing up the camera roll, and then they will stay there as long as you want. That sounds fine. Now for the snag. While I can access all documents and other things in iCloud from my home PC, I cannot access the photos from my PC. The stuff you gave me to read strongly suggests that it is available but does not tell you how.

So, to put it simply, how do I access my camera roll which is backed up to iCloud from my home PC?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I have read all that, and it seems to me that My PhotoStream only remains active for 30 days. Fair enough. But the suggestion in what you gave me to read was that you can back up all your pictures via iCloud, backing up the camera roll, and then they will stay there as long as you want. That sounds fine. Now for the snag. While I can access all documents and other things in iCloud from my home PC, I cannot access the photos from my PC. The stuff you gave me to read strongly suggests that it is available but does not tell you how. So, to put it simply, how do I access my camera roll which is backed up to iCloud from my home PC? Sent from my iPad using iPF
Enable PhotoStream, and you can access them on your PC. You'll find the location and how to find them in The OB's second link.

OP
Bluejak

Bluejak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Enable PhotoStream, and you can access them on your PC. You'll find the location and how to find them in The OB's second link.
I have got Photo Stream enabled. Only new photos are there. The majority of photos are not available to me, even though they should be.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe you should think of a different method to access photos or get them to your PC. One option would be to move/upload them to cloud storage, such as Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, ...

OP
Bluejak

Bluejak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe you should think of a different method to access photos or get them to your PC. One option would be to move/upload them to cloud storage, such as Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, ...

No doubt I can. But one of the advantages of the whole iCloud system was, as far as I understood it, that everything was backed up so if I, for example, lose my iPhone and my iPad all my files on Numbers and Pages are available still with my PC from iCloud. According to what I have read the same applies to my photos but it does not seem to in practice. Surely this means I'm doing something wrong?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A question, because it's not clear to me: do you access iCloud on your PC through a browser, or do you use the iCloud Control Panel, without browser?

To show you iCloud Control Panel: http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1455

Last edited:
OP
Bluejak

Bluejak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A question, because it's not clear to me: do you access iCloud on your PC through a browser, or do you use the iCloud Control Panel, without browser? To show you iCloud Control Panel: http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1455
I can see things like the numbers and pages files via the browser. However there are no photos available via the browser. I also have the iCloud control panel which tells me where MyPhotos is and it keeps the iCloud available to me, however that panel has no method for seeing the actual photos either.

So I have both as per the instructions given.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can see things like the numbers and pages files via the browser. However there are no photos available via the browser. I also have the iCloud control panel which tells me where MyPhotos is and it keeps the iCloud available to me, however that panel has no method for seeing the actual photos either. So I have both as per the instructions given. Sent from my iPad using iPF
You can't see the photos via the browser.

Here's how to see them on a PC (from Apple Support):

PC using Windows 8.1: From the Start screen, click the down arrow in the lower-left corner, then click the iCloud Photos app.
PC using Windows 8: From the Start screen, select iCloud Photos (or Photo Stream in iCloud Control Panel 2.0 to 2.12).
PC using Windows 7: Click the Windows Start button, then click Pictures. Click iCloud Photos or Photo Stream under the Favorites menu in the panel on the left. Double-click My Photo Stream to view your photos.

OP
Bluejak

Bluejak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't see the photos via the browser. Here's how to see them on a PC (from Apple Support): PC using Windows 8.1: From the Start screen, click the down arrow in the lower-left corner, then click the iCloud Photos app. PC using Windows 8: From the Start screen, select iCloud Photos (or Photo Stream in iCloud Control Panel 2.0 to 2.12). PC using Windows 7: Click the Windows Start button, then click Pictures. Click iCloud Photos or Photo Stream under the Favorites menu in the panel on the left. Double-click My Photo Stream to view your photos.
I am sorry but we are going round in circles. Let me explain again. When I get pictures on my iPad or iPhone they appear in my photos and are available in the way you say on my PC. But only for a few weeks! After that they disappear and are no longer in the photo stream. The question is how to back up and how to see all the photos in the camera roll which are no longer in the photo stream. According to the references given by earlier articles in this thread that is perfectly doable. Apple support says you can back up all the photos in your camera roll. Okay, but if they are all backed up how can I get to them from my PC?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Photos backed up to iCloud can not be viewed. The backup is used to restore all the data on your device, nothing else.
That's why you get 30 days to transfer the photos from PhotoStream somewhere else.

What you could do to see them on your computer is to import them: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4083
Or use one of the cloud storages I mentioned before, or use Flickr, which also has an Auto Upload feature.

Last edited:
OP
Bluejak

Bluejak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Photos backed up to iCloud can not be viewed. The backup is used to restore all the data on your device, nothing else. That's why you get 30 days to transfer the photos from PhotoStream somewhere else. What you could do to see them on your computer is to import them: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4083 Or use one of the cloud storages I mentioned before, or use Flickr, which also has an Auto Upload feature.

I am sure I can get round the problem, thanks. What I have been trying to find out is what the situation this and your post here is the first time I have done so, thanks. A pity that my understanding that all devices got all the details was wrong but so be it.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome.

Maybe the term "iCloud" is a little bit confusing, because it doesn't work the same way as usual cloud storage.

Last edited:
OP
Bluejak

Bluejak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I have now understood most of what this is about. When you have photos in your photo stream they will be backed up for the iPad and the iPhone permanently but to the PC only during the first 30 days. To get from the iPad/iPhone to the PC needs something else and I have worked out what to do with Google Drive so that's fine.

So is everything in the garden lovely? No because you photos taken with my iPhone's camera get into the photo stream but they are not going to the PC. What happened to them going to the PC for 30 days?

Most reactions

Latest posts