What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo transfer?

Melie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there an app that will allow the transfer of photos from an iPad to a USB drive?

Thank you
Mark

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is there an app that will allow the transfer of photos from an iPad to a USB drive?

Hi Mark - well, your question is way too general since there are numerous options for photo transfer from an iPad to a computer or even an external drive; plus, you need to provide some more information which may impact on the available choices: 1) Which iPad do you own (the lightning vs. USB-C ports make a difference); 2) What iOS is installed; 3) By USB drive, I assume that you mean an external spinner or SSD drive rather than a computer; and 4) Do you want to cable the drive to your iPad and/or use a wireless connection?

For myself and just to mentioned some of the many options. I have several apps on my iPad that will do wireless transfer to my Mac computers; also have two external devices that establish their own personal Wi-Fi network to my iPad which uses their proprietary apps; there are devices that can plugged into the iPad's port and have typically SSD storage (own a lightning one for BU of my iPhone photos - many brands can be found on Amazon); and finally own a USB-C hub that plugs into my iPad Pro - can then plug an external HD or SSD into the hub and transfer files from my iPad w/o an additional app (likely USB-C drives that can be used directly - again check Amazon) - can be much more specific if you provide us some more details. Dave

Last edited:
OP
Melie

Melie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPad Air OS 12.4.2
Lightening cable
All I would like to do is send most of my current photos to a USB drive and free up space on the iPad

Thank you
Mark

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iPad Air OS 12.4.2
Lightening cable
All I would like to do is send most of my current photos to a USB drive and free up space on the iPad....

Hi again Mark - if you use iCloud (or may want to try the service), then PrismStudios gave you yet another option, and of course other 'cloud-based' services exist (Dropbox, Google, etc.); but some folks just don't want to get 'entangled' in Apple's iCloud (I'm using the feature to some extent but not for photos).

Unfortunately, you own a 6 y/o iPad that is stuck on iOS 12.x - iPad OS 13.x offers new features (see HERE) that make connecting to external drives so much easier - are you in the market for a new iPad?

If you do not want to go w/ cloud services or buy a new iPad, then you have three options in my mind (maybe more in others'): 1) Find a USB-Lightning adapter (Apple and others) that may accept your cabled USB HD - likely will not work for a variety of reasons; others may 'chime in' w/ positive or negative comments - I've never tried the combo; 2) Purchase a lightning-SSD drive like the Kingston Bolt (which I own and shown below - used to BU my iPhone photos) - 4/5* review on Amazon so some negative comments; many other brands, models, and capacities exist, depending on your needs; and 3) Purchase a wireless device that can transfer iPad photos to a storage area, e.g. SD cards - I own several, including the RavPower Hub shown also below (again a 4/5* review on Amazon - read if interested) - again there are other similar options. Both of my devices use proprietary apps on my iPad. Hopefully others will 'chime in' w/ their advice & possible solutions. Good luck - Dave
Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 5.43.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 5.48.01 PM.png

OP
Melie

Melie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just dump them onto my PC picture files via iCloud. I then sometimes delete the photo on the iPad, and keep it on the PC. or external drive. Works for me.Can always reupload off the PC later, but I seldom do.
No PC
iPad only

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Note: This only works with iOS 13.1 and later. Earlier version of iOS do not recognize external drives in Files. For earlier versions of iOS you need to use Giradman’s suggestions. Special drives with companion apps. (sub note: some of these apps are not playing well with iOS 13.

Ok, a couple of caveats first. I’m using an iPad Pro with a USB-C port, so no guarantees. I’m using a multi-port USB-C adaptor. Older iPads may need a less power intensive adaptor. Apple’s own should work.

What you need.

1) Lighting to USB adaptor, or thumb drive with a Lightning port. Be aware than most current lighting port drives need and require a companion app to work. Newer ones, in anticipation of iOS 13, may not.

2) The drive itself. Be sure it works with the iPad by doing some research. Some drives, especially with older iPads, draw too much power and the iPad won’t work with them. Not a problem with the iPad Pros.

Plug in the thumb drive and confirm it is showing up in the Files app. Go to Photos, select the photos you want, In the Share menu scroll down and find Save to Files. The mounted USB drive should show up at the bottom of the list.

To automate the task, say to photos older than some date, you could try using the Shortcuts app, Find Photos and Save File actions. I did a quick test using Select Photos instead, and it worked (but slowly).

C6D8DD39-AB30-4266-9931-4E673F6B85EC.png

B463ABCC-03B7-464C-902B-7749415F3F71.png

A96AD4ED-7944-4D2A-B222-A09C3EDEB4FA.png

OP
Melie

Melie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Note: This only works with iOS 13.1 and later. Earlier version of iOS do not recognize external drives in Files. For earlier versions of iOS you need to use Giradman’s suggestions. Special drives with companion apps. (sub note: some of these apps are not playing well with iOS 13.

Ok, a couple of caveats first. I’m using an iPad Pro with a USB-C port, so no guarantees. I’m using a multi-port USB-C adaptor. Older iPads may need a less power intensive adaptor. Apple’s own should work.

What you need.

1) Lighting to USB adaptor, or thumb drive with a Lightning port. Be aware than most current lighting port drives need and require a companion app to work. Newer ones, in anticipation of iOS 13, may not.

2) The drive itself. Be sure it works with the iPad by doing some research. Some drives, especially with older iPads, draw too much power and the iPad won’t work with them. Not a problem with the iPad Pros.

Plug in the thumb drive and confirm it is showing up in the Files app. Go to Photos, select the photos you want, In the Share menu scroll down and find Save to Files. The mounted USB drive should show up at the bottom of the list.

To automate the task, say to photos older than some date, you could try using the Shortcuts app, Find Photos and Save File actions. I did a quick test using Select Photos instead, and it worked (but slowly).

View attachment 87717

View attachment 87718

View attachment 87719
Thank you so much

Most reactions

Latest posts