Syncing files without iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by nabilalk, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nabilalk

nabilalk
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    While iTunes is nice to sync music, videos, apps, etc...I'm not keen on using it for transferring files like PDFs, Word Documents, Photos, etc... to and from my iPad.

For those of you that have Jailbroken your iPads what methods do you use, other than iTunes to transfer files to and from your iPad?

I wish there was an adapter for the iPad that simply allowed you to plug in a USB Flash drive and then a file explorer app that let you copy or paste any file back and forth. Anything like this coming down the pike?

2. Vonbonds

Vonbonds
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Mine isn't jail broken but I have used Goodreader to transfer files to my iPad.

3. sch

sch
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    One of the downsides of the iPad/iPhone OS design is sandboxing, where every app has only its own space to save files within. So if I have 3 PDF reader apps, I have to have duplicate PDF files if I want all of these apps to have common files... they can't be shared.

Cheers,

4. idbirch

idbirch
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like iFile fits your bill perfectly. Assuming you're jailbroken, which your post suggests you are, it's available through cydia for $4. If you have the camera connection kit, ifile will also allow you to browse sd cards and USB sticks.

My camera kit is on order so I haven't been able to do any size/bitrate tests yet but others have already confirmed that you can play video straight off the sd/USB device!

5. nabilalk

nabilalk
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Your post is the first I have heard of the camera kit. Where did you get yours and how much did it cost you?

6. idbirch

idbirch
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ordered direct from the Apple store - £25 + about £5 shipping but there's a massive wait for them (about 4-6 weeks). You get an SD adapter and a USB adapter.

7. gouletjo

gouletjo
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ok, guys but one I transfered my file using my adaptor and Ifiles how can i open them in Readledocs for example

8. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    There are lots of different ways without jailbreaking: Dropbox, Box, etc. I also use a shared drive on the pc (I understand Win10 can cause problems...) and access via various apps, inc. File Browser, Readdle documents.

Just watch out for ipad syncing via iCloud. Delete on one deletes on the other as I found out

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Well an important topic these days but you just responded to a thread w/ the last post from July 2010 when only the original iPad existed. For those interested in the topic and needing a solution, please start a new thread - this thread would be best closed - just saying - Dave :)

10. NSquirrel

NSquirrel
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Good point. I forgot to check op post date. When I checked into the forum this morning, this post was at the top of the list of New Posts, so is there a problem with new posts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.