What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing files without iTunes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabilalk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While iTunes is nice to sync music, videos, apps, etc...I'm not keen on using it for transferring files like PDFs, Word Documents, Photos, etc... to and from my iPad.

For those of you that have Jailbroken your iPads what methods do you use, other than iTunes to transfer files to and from your iPad?

I wish there was an adapter for the iPad that simply allowed you to plug in a USB Flash drive and then a file explorer app that let you copy or paste any file back and forth. Anything like this coming down the pike?

sch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the downsides of the iPad/iPhone OS design is sandboxing, where every app has only its own space to save files within. So if I have 3 PDF reader apps, I have to have duplicate PDF files if I want all of these apps to have common files... they can't be shared.

Cheers,

idbirch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like iFile fits your bill perfectly. Assuming you're jailbroken, which your post suggests you are, it's available through cydia for $4. If you have the camera connection kit, ifile will also allow you to browse sd cards and USB sticks.

My camera kit is on order so I haven't been able to do any size/bitrate tests yet but others have already confirmed that you can play video straight off the sd/USB device!

OP
N

nabilalk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like iFile fits your bill perfectly. Assuming you're jailbroken, which your post suggests you are, it's available through cydia for $4. If you have the camera connection kit, ifile will also allow you to browse sd cards and USB sticks.

My camera kit is on order so I haven't been able to do any size/bitrate tests yet but others have already confirmed that you can play video straight off the sd/USB device!
Your post is the first I have heard of the camera kit. Where did you get yours and how much did it cost you?

idbirch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ordered direct from the Apple store - £25 + about £5 shipping but there's a massive wait for them (about 4-6 weeks). You get an SD adapter and a USB adapter.

gouletjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, guys but one I transfered my file using my adaptor and Ifiles how can i open them in Readledocs for example

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are lots of different ways without jailbreaking: Dropbox, Box, etc. I also use a shared drive on the pc (I understand Win10 can cause problems...) and access via various apps, inc. File Browser, Readdle documents.

Just watch out for ipad syncing via iCloud. Delete on one deletes on the other as I found out

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are lots of different ways without jailbreaking: Dropbox, Box, etc. I also use a shared drive on the pc (I understand Win10 can cause problems...) and access via various apps, inc. File Browser, Readdle documents.

Just watch out for ipad syncing via iCloud. Delete on one deletes on the other as I found out

Well an important topic these days but you just responded to a thread w/ the last post from July 2010 when only the original iPad existed. For those interested in the topic and needing a solution, please start a new thread - this thread would be best closed - just saying - Dave :)

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good point. I forgot to check op post date. When I checked into the forum this morning, this post was at the top of the list of New Posts, so is there a problem with new posts?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good point. I forgot to check op post date. When I checked into the forum this morning, this post was at the top of the list of New Posts, so is there a problem with new posts?

Hi - I believe that has happen before and there was an explanation from one of the mods, but I cannot recall the specifics - sorry. Dave :(

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your post was in reply to a now deleted post, that's why it showed at the top of the list of new posts at the time.
Being as the thread is well over 4 years old and the original participants have long since departed, I'll now close this thread to further replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts