What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo Editor for Changing Resolution

larrymcg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just starting out trying to edit photos on my iPad2. I like Snapseed for fixing up a photo and for cropping. However, I would like to be able to set the resolution too. That is, resample (a Photoshop term) the photo to set the resolution. Typically I would be reducing the resolution so that the image would be a proper size when inserted into an email (I often use 144dpi or less for this purpose).

Suggestions for an app that can set the photo's resolution?

Thanks,
Larry

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
the mail app will ask you if you want to reduce the file size when sending.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just starting out trying to edit photos on my iPad2. I like Snapseed for fixing up a photo and for cropping. However, I would like to be able to set the resolution too. That is, resample (a Photoshop term) the photo to set the resolution. Typically I would be reducing the resolution so that the image would be a proper size when inserted into an email (I often use 144dpi or less for this purpose).

Suggestions for an app that can set the photo's resolution?

Hi Larry - welcome to the forum! :)

Unfortunately, photo apps (including the native one in particular) for the iPad leave MUCH to be desired; I have a half dozen on my iPad 2 and none are really 'full-featured' meaning providing me all of my needs (e.g. cropping, re-sizing, labeling, etc.) - one that can 're-size' your images is Photogene (click on the name) - attached a pic from my iPad, the left top option in the export menu will allow about a half dozen resolution choices, plus a long list of 'where' to save or send the image - take a look and tell us about your experience! I use 3 or 4 different photo apps routinely, each for 1 or 2 different purposes - would LOVE to have just one to do it ALL! Good luck - Dave :)

Photogene.PNG

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I was using the mail app to send via gMail and I don't think it asked. I'll go check again.
--Larry

I'm pretty sure the Mail app only give size alternatives if the photo is over 500KB. If it does, you'll see an Image size to the left of the From:CC line. Tap on it to choose.

Sheencrofter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Larry,
I am like you. Just started photography and use Snapseed which I really like, but wish it had a setting
for resolutions.
Giadman,
I am going to give Photogene a try as you suggest. And I wonder if maybe you could list the apps you use so that I and others could find other possible apps that could work for us.
Thanks

Sheencrofter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Further to the above, Giradman,
I have now downloaded Photogene and it looks really good.
However, I cannot find where it resizes pics. Unless I am missing something.
Maybe you could advise.
Thanks,
Sheen

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Further to the above, Giradman,
I have now downloaded Photogene and it looks really good.
However, I cannot find where it resizes pics. Unless I am missing something.
Maybe you could advise.
Thanks,
Sheen

Hi Sheen - I've been to Ireland & had a 100% Irish grandmother (who was born in the USA in the late 1880s) - love that heritage!

I'll just list the 'photo apps' on my iPad (other than the 'native' one) - Photogene, Photo-Sort, PhotoSync, My Photos, Snapseed, Penultimate, PhotoTransfer, iPhoto, & PhotoPad - NOW, I've not really used all of these that much - some are more oriented to 'organizing' your images, while others are more for imaging editing - JUST cannot find well that does both well, SO still a search for me; I'll be glad to respond to those that may interest you but please review on the App store.

NOW concerning Photogene and re-sizing, please look @ my previous image posted AND the one added - I took the previous menu (i.e. export) and selected 'Resolution/Resize' - the menu now shows the resolutions that can be selected - there seems to be no 'custom' choices (AGAIN, a limitation on the iPad @ the moment) - hope that this helps? If not, please post back! Dave :)

PhotogeneSCap.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts