What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phishing Scam - Congrats - $1000 Gift Certificate

JWKessler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been fighting this annoying scam for months now. I only see it when using the Facebook App and I click a link to a news story or other page. About 95% of the time it works perfectly, but occasionally several seconds after going to the linked to page the popup appears and offers no way to get out of it other then to click the OK button or go back to the Facebook app. That means I can not read the page in question, nor can I see the legitimate ads on that site. Some of these actually block the entire page rather than popping up a small dialog box, but the effect is the same.

I've posted about this on my Facebook page and several other people report having the same problem. Interestingly, these are also popping up on Android devices and I had a report of it when using Chrome on an Android tablet. I've never seen it when using Facebook on my Mac.

I would think as annoying, wide spread, and potentially dangerous as this is, there would be a lot of discussion on the topic, but all I can find is information on popup ad blockers for Safari. I wouldn’t call this a popup ad. It's a malicious Phishing scam.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been fighting this annoying scam for months now. I only see it when using the Facebook App and I click a link to a news story or other page. About 95% of the time it works perfectly, but occasionally several seconds after going to the linked to page the popup appears and offers no way to get out of it other then to click the OK button or go back to the Facebook app. That means I can not read the page in question, nor can I see the legitimate ads on that site. Some of these actually block the entire page rather than popping up a small dialog box, but the effect is the same.

I've posted about this on my Facebook page and several other people report having the same problem. Interestingly, these are also popping up on Android devices and I had a report of it when using Chrome on an Android tablet. I've never seen it when using Facebook on my Mac.

I would think as annoying, wide spread, and potentially dangerous as this is, there would be a lot of discussion on the topic, but all I can find is information on popup ad blockers for Safari. I wouldn’t call this a popup ad. It's a malicious Phishing scam.
It certainly is a dangerous phishing scam but it is distributed like one of those annoying pop up ads.

Most reactions

Latest posts