What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Permanently delete photos??

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was adding a photo album to the stock photo album app on my ipad and iPhone. When I did this it showed photos that I deleted a long time ago. How is it that they are still there and how to I permanently delete them??
Thanks

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So you were only creating a new album on your iPad and you didn't sync it from a PC? That's if I'm reading you right.....

A couple of thoughts come to mind........If you create an album on your iPad and then delete a photo from the album, the photo will still be in your Camera Roll. It needs to be deleted from here to delete it completely as any photos put in an album are only a shortcut to the photo in the camera roll.......You will get a message to this effect when deleting a photo from an album.

Or could the photos have been synced from your PC originally? If so you will need to sync again from your PC to delete the photo from your iPad.

I hope this helps!

OP
G

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So you were only creating a new album on your iPad and you didn't sync it from a PC? That's if I'm reading you right..... A couple of thoughts come to mind........If you create an album on your iPad and then delete a photo from the album, the photo will still be in your Camera Roll. It needs to be deleted from here to delete it completely as any photos put in an album are only a shortcut to the photo in the camera roll.......You will get a message to this effect when deleting a photo from an album. Or could the photos have been synced from your PC originally? If so you will need to sync again from your PC to delete the photo from your iPad. I hope this helps!

I haven't sync photos to itunes in forever. I only have one photo album in the photo app so when I deleted the pictures they were deleted from the camera roll. So I have no clue why they are popping up again. Could you try it on your iPhone/ipad and see what happens for you? Just curious. Thank you for r help

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't sync photos to itunes in forever. I only have one photo album in the photo app so when I deleted the pictures they were deleted from the camera roll. So I have no clue why they are popping up again. Could you try it on your iPhone/ipad and see what happens for you? Just curious. Thank you for r help

So when you tap your albums tab, you only have one album which is your Camera Roll? I've just deleted a photo from there and then when I tap my photos tab, the photo is deleted.

Are you sure they aren't photos from when you did sync with your PC the last time even if it was forever ago?

Try a reset of your iPad and see if this fixes the issue.

Reset - Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you may see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

OP
G

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So when you tap your albums tab, you only have one album which is your Camera Roll? I've just deleted a photo from there and then when I tap my photos tab, the photo is deleted. Are you sure they aren't photos from when you did sync with your PC the last time even if it was forever ago? Try a reset of your iPad and see if this fixes the issue. Reset - Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you may see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

After you delete a photo add a new album to the photo app when you get prompted to name your new album click save and then that's when all the deleted photos I deleted pop up asking me to choose which ones I want to add to my new album

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After you delete a photo add a new album to the photo app when you get prompted to name your new album click save and then that's when all the deleted photos I deleted pop up asking me to choose which ones I want to add to my new album

Well I've just done all that.....and the photos I deleted aren't showing for selection for my new album.

It's very strange what's happening to you......where have the photos come from which are appearing again? Do you remember?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If they still are in your PhotoStream, then you can still find them in Collections, that's why they keep showing up when you have to choose which photos to put into the new folder. Delete them from there as well, and they shouldn't appear again.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If they still are in your PhotoStream, then you can still find them in Collections, that's why the show up when you have to choose which photos to put into the new folder. Delete them from there as well, and they shouldn't appear again.

I did wonder about photo stream but he says he only has the camera roll in albums which would then preclude that.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still hoping that's what it is! ;)
So do I, yet there's something I just found:
If the device is still jailbroken, the photos could be on the iPad without showing up in Camera Roll. Gresh14 should look at the amount of storage in Settings - General - Usage.

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So do I, yet there's something I just found: If the device is still jailbroken, the photos could be on the iPad without showing up in Camera Roll. Gresh14 should look at the amount of storage in Settings - General - Usage.

Well that's interesting....so they can be retained in the background somehow!

Hopefully it'll be one of them! ;)

OP
G

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I've just done all that.....and the photos I deleted aren't showing for selection for my new album. It's very strange what's happening to you......where have the photos come from which are appearing again? Do you remember?

They are coming from my only album on my camera roll.

OP
G

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If they still are in your PhotoStream, then you can still find them in Collections, that's why they keep showing up when you have to choose which photos to put into the new folder. Delete them from there as well, and they shouldn't appear again.

I don't have photo stream enabled

OP
G

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So do I, yet there's something I just found: If the device is still jailbroken, the photos could be on the iPad without showing up in Camera Roll. Gresh14 should look at the amount of storage in Settings - General - Usage.

Both my ipad and iPhone are jailbroken. Storage seems like it's right. I just would really like to get rid of the photos it's some how holding onto.

Most reactions

Latest posts