What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Password masking

r3g3x

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I created a profile with ICU for my iPad. When I type my password in each character is echoed for a few seconds before it becomes a '*'. I noticed the same behavior with the default passcode.

If you use MDM (mobile device management) software such as Sybase Afaria, are the characters mask as you type them?

This is a poor security model and one that is ripe for shoulder surfing.

Thanks!
Jim

devis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I created a profile with ICU for my iPad. When I type my password in each character is echoed for a few seconds before it becomes a '*'. I noticed the same behavior with the default passcode.

If you use MDM (mobile device management) software such as Sybase Afaria, are the characters mask as you type them?

This is a poor security model and one that is ripe for shoulder surfing.

Thanks!
Jim

As much as I'd like to blame Apple for this, it isn't a new thing. Any device with touchscreen I've used or played with, (Android, BB, WM, Palm) does the same exact thing. The onscreen keyboard isn't a precise science, so you're being given the chance to see if you typed the password wrong the first time around. The savings translate into not having to backtrack and reenter the password only to probably make the same mistake twice. You know that thing about not learning from our own mistakes? Well, it couldn't me more true with me and typing with an on screen keyboard :)

DarkLordEnron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shoulder surfing be damned, I like being able to correct mistakes instantaneously, instead of doing so after I hit "submit".

sjwall68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Password Echo On/Off Needs To Be A Setting

Upon normal use, the password echo is not a real problem for me, however as soon as you hook up the IPAD 2 to a large monitor in order to present your screen to a group of people, this now becomes a problem.

Especially when 2 or 3 of the participants feel like reciting your password back to you in order to make a point about the security issue.

I guess you can disconnect the display cord each time you need to enter your credentials and hope that the display syncs back up every time.

I see a setting in our future.

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Upon normal use, the password echo is not a real problem for me, however as soon as you hook up the IPAD 2 to a large monitor in order to present your screen to a group of people, this now becomes a problem.

Especially when 2 or 3 of the participants feel like reciting your password back to you in order to make a point about the security issue.

I guess you can disconnect the display cord each time you need to enter your credentials and hope that the display syncs back up every time.

I see a setting in our future.

I love that last line. ;)

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have lost count how many times I have had to change my password after I show a friend something and unlock my iPad and they know the password. VERY ANNOYING.

Great security apple.....

Most reactions

Latest posts