What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outlook Alias

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After creating a hotmail address that I never expected to use much, I found I was using it more than my primary mail. Since I didn’t care for the name, a few months ago I created an alias in Outlook. All was working fine until a recent update. Now I still receive any mail sent to either address, but I can’t send from the alias. It isn’t an option in the From:

I’ve deleted the hotmail account and reset it up on my iPad Pro and my phone. I even tried setting it up under the alias, but it reverted to the hotmail address.

I can go into outlook dot com and send from it there. I just want to use my iPad mail.

Any ideas on how to get my alias address back so I can send from it on my iPad? Thanks.

OP
C

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This was worse and now it’s back to just bad.

My email sub folders became empty. I finally got around that by turning mail off and back on. It was a slow process. I did the same on my iPhone.

I can’t change the [email protected] to an outlook address. That would only be done as an alias too.

Is this possibly related to Contacts? In mail setting, the Contacts was greyed out with a warning about doing this since “all my Hotmail contacts will be removed from the iPad.” I don’t think it this but don’t know.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It won’t have anything to do with Contacts, though it would not hurt to add your alias as an email address in your My Card entry. Maybe I’m wrong.

I know how to enable/disable aliases in my iCloud account on the iPad. No idea how to do it for hotmail, or any other account. A quick browse through the settings shows nothing, and the one or two articles I was found searching the web said it is not possible to send using hotmail/outlook aliases using clients other than outlook.com. Which makes me wonder how you were doing it in the past.

You could try using the Microsoft Outlook app for your email. The description does not say anything about aliases, but if any app supports hotmail aliases, that would be the one.

OP
C

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, twerppoet. After reading and trying everything possible, I called Apple Support. It took about a half hour of trying multiple things, but the support woman said there were some options that were no longer available on an iPad. Finally she found the support info that said that iOS 11 no longer supports outlook aliases. Bottom line, she’ll report the issue. That doesn’t mean it will ever be addressed. Only hope is than MS decides they’d like to fix the issue from their end.

If I didn’t have years of history stored in my Hotmail/Outlook files, I’d consider switching to something else.

OP
C

Canuckgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did try the Outlook App.

It’ll send from my alias but it sees the primary as a duplicate so there was no benefit.

If I really want to send from my alias, I’ll do it through outlook.live.

I’ve made the outlook alias my Primary. That didn’t help either. I’m tempted to totally delete outlook from my iPad and try re-installing. I have to go away for a week so will hold off on that.

Most reactions

Latest posts