What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Otter box Defender for iPad Help

ericmen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just bought a Otterbox Defender for iPad. after I installed the whole thing, I just found out that if I take off the silicone, I can't take the "Skeleton" off ( The 2 parts ). Please Help!!

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First, let say I haven't had any reason to remove my case yet. But as you haven't gotten any responses, here's what I have planed to do when I do remove the case. When you put it together you may have noticed that one of the half's had two tabs with notches on them and the other half had two matching holes, that the other half's tabs could slide into and latch with the notches. I would take an old credit card, or something a little slimmer, thickness wise. and gently lift each tab and slide the credit card under each one, to unlatch them and then slide the two half's apart. I don't remember any other parts that had a latch on them, that doesn't mean there isn't another latch somewhere, so check carefully. Hope this helps.

The last time I looked, youtube had plenty of videos on how to put it together, but none on taking it apart, might want to look again before you start.

OP
E

ericmen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I looked and on the part where they show the Apple logo, there is a latch. Do I just pull the logo part up slightly?

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thinks that's right, several people online agree, lift the ring and it should release, unless yours is like mine. Mine went together so tightly I had to bump it on the table several times to get it to go in the last 1/4 inch, now trying to get it apart seems impossible, I think I would need two people, one on each end to pull it apart.:D
I think it will just stay where it's at.:)

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had to break mine off to remove the case.
Not going back that route again for sure.

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine comes apart with no problems, I will say this though, after being on for a couple months like mine has been, a lot of crud will build up underneath. Last night was the first time I took mine apart after putting it on and it was filthy underneath, so I'd recomend taking it out once a month or so to clean it.

toasty_hoodie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Holy crap folks...chill out with wrestling the iPad,

Seriously, no need to break the case and all that....jeez.

Here is the EASIEST way to remove it from the case...

First, remove the silicone.
Secondly, remove the back cover...the one you need to remove to charge it.
Finally, simply put your thumbs on the bottom of the iPad, and grab the bottom of the Otterbox and push up. The top of the case will come apart from the bottom and you can separate them.

It isn't a bad design by OB or anything, it's just user error.

toasty_hoodie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got a screen protector on mine too...maybe since I have a RadTech AntiGlare it is smoother?

hevnbound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Holy crap folks...chill out with wrestling the iPad,

Seriously, no need to break the case and all that....jeez.

Here is the EASIEST way to remove it from the case...

First, remove the silicone.
Secondly, remove the back cover...the one you need to remove to charge it.
Finally, simply put your thumbs on the bottom of the iPad, and grab the bottom of the Otterbox and push up. The top of the case will come apart from the bottom and you can separate them.

It isn't a bad design by OB or anything, it's just user error.

That is the method shown on the video. Looks easy. Problem is, it doesn't work - at least not on mine. It is locked on and I can't get it to budge! I don't have a screen protector. That is why I want to take it off. The video shows that crud gets under the Defender frame and taking it off and putting it back on scratches the edge of the screen.

HELP!!! I've tried the credit card idea under the tabs and that doesn't work either.

hevnbound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WOW! How easy was that?!?!!

After I posted my previous message, I thought I would give one more try. I put my fingernail under the top of the circle (clear window) and pulled back. It slid right off!!!:)

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man, I'm glad I decided against the ZAGG protector. Ive never had one bit of trouble at all removing my otterbox...slides right apart and right back together.

Mohpapa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Otter Box customer service is great, email them if you break something, they will surely take care of you.

Raysin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I could not remove the second plastic piece (I took off the rubber cover and managed to remove the top plastic piece that seems to be the area of focus above), but finally found a way to make this easier. I re-applied an idea mentioned above to this step. The plastic was sticking to the screen protector, and would not budge, so I slipped a thin card between the plastic and the screen on either side, then was able to push the iPad out using my thumbs (Like the vastly superior intellectual Toasty so humbly explains above).

The cards I used were a drivers license and a BevMo card, as they were the thinnest cards in my wallet. It took a little effort to wedge them in, but the Otter Box plastic slid right off once the seal was broken.

Most reactions

Latest posts