What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OS Update & Syncing

Bad.Assteroid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since updating my OS on my first generation iPad has been crashing left and right regardless of how many apps are or are not running. I've removed all music/photos/apps to no avail as well as many hard and soft starts. Help...please.
Lastly, I'm syncing my iPad with iTunes and I just noticed the yellow "other" section in the little capacity bar. What does "other" encompass/involve?

Thank you in advance!!

Amp1216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try full shut down and is if your device is backed up maybe even a restore if it's not even usable

rockman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try to backup your data then restore it to iTunes. Otherwise visit your nearest apple service. Great if you still have warranty,

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes your iPad is doing this because of a lack of ram, the ipad1 has 256mb of ram whereas the ipad2 has 512mb but there are steps you can take to minimize this happening.

Look at your location services, do you have many of these running as they all use ram, so minimize these to only the apps you are using now. Closing your apps completely can save you a lot of ram. Now onto Safari which can use a lot of ram depending on the sites visited and also keeps bits of data from all these sites. Go into your Safari Settings and clear out your cookies and delete your history. Now hit the advanced tab at the bottom and then website data, this will show you all the sites you've been to, you can also clear this out.

Apps are only getting bigger nowadays with new technology releases and this is why older technology starts to suffer as it can't cope with the advancements. Once you've done all that, it would be a good idea to now restart your iPad. Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will restart. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running well. All of these steps will help keep your ipad in good running order, its a little housekeeping. You may even find your ipad a little more responsive now.

For an explanation on 'Other' look here
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/47255-other-itunes-sync.html

Hope this helps

Most reactions

Latest posts