What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organising documents created in Pages

Citruspips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hallo everyone.
I've created various documents using Pages. How should I be organising/saving them on my iPad? Should they be sent to my computer where I can put them into folders or am I missing something. Sorry if this seems a stupid question.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pages doesn't offer much in the way of organization, does it? The best thing to do is take the less frequently used documents and store them in the cloud.

MobileMe's iDisk is one solution. Or for free you can use DropBox along with DropDAV.

I do both, mostly because I already have MobileMe for other reasons.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with twerppoet. Pages documents are simply stored in the (internal to Pages) 'My Documents' flat file structure (i.e. no folders). As he suggests, the best solution is to store only the most frequently used documents in the Pages My Documents area and to keep the rest 'in the cloud'.

Like twerppoet, I use the Apple MobileMe iDisk cloud storage, which is directly supported by Pages. So any Pages' document can be stored into iDisk, assuming you have Internet connectivity.

The advantage of iDisk is that you can establish folders there to organise your documents and that it's accessible from your PC.

There are, of course, a variety of other approaches that you can take but there's no way that I know of that, from within Pages, you can achieve anything other than a flat file structure.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The DropBox DropDav combination works very much like iDisk, only it's easier to use with non-Apple devices. For documents that I move between the Apple devices there is little difference, but when I want to move files around between Windows, Android, and the Apple devices, DropBox is superior.

I know that iDisk can be used with Windows, but I haven't seen a way to use it with Android.

And of course, DropBox is free. With a little luck that won't be one of it's advantages for much longer.

Don't get me wrong. I like MobileMe, but if all you need is cloud file storage DropBox has the edge, at least for now.

OP
C

Citruspips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I downloaded the Dropbox app last night onto both my iPad and iPhone and messed about sharing pictures, very impressed. However, I can't figure out how to put a Pages file into Dropbox it seems I can only use it for pictures. I do still need to instal it on my PC.

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I downloaded the Dropbox app last night onto both my iPad and iPhone and messed about sharing pictures, very impressed. However, I can't figure out how to put a Pages file into Dropbox it seems I can only use it for pictures. I do still need to instal it on my PC.

Pages doesn't support Dropbox natively. The standard answer to this question (if Dropbox is important - and it is to many) is to use one of the alternative apps to Pages. Don't hold your breath for Apple to support the Dropbox API as Apple likes to keep you with Apple (and the paid MobileMe) - period.

BUT, if Pages is important to you - here's an alternative solution:
Integrate Dropbox with Pages, Keynote, and Numbers on iPad | Techinch

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

The second link I provided was to DropDav, a service that lets you access your DropBox account using the webDav option in Pages. The instructions for how to set this up are all on the DropDav site, and as long as you are using the free DropBox account DropDav is also free.

OP
C

Citruspips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
writerranger said:
Pages doesn't support Dropbox natively. The standard answer to this question (if Dropbox is important - and it is to many) is to use one of the alternative apps to Pages. Don't hold your breath for Apple to support the Dropbox API as Apple likes to keep you with Apple (and the paid MobileMe) - period.

BUT, if Pages is important to you - here's an alternative solution:
Integrate Dropbox with Pages, Keynote, and Numbers on iPad | Techinch

So does that mean if I was to replace my Windows PC with an iMac I would not be able to use drop box for files?

I've downloaded Dropbox to my Windows PC and have been using it as a backup. I dream of owning a iMac but wanted to avoid paying for Mobile me.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Citruspips said:
So does that mean if I was to replace my Windows PC with an iMac I would not be able to use drop box for files?

I've downloaded Dropbox to my Windows PC and have been using it as a backup. I dream of owning a iMac but wanted to avoid paying for Mobile me.

DropBox works fine with iMacs. You go to the DropBox site and download a client just like you do for Windows.

Calipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best I have come up with for alphabetizing documents is: Mail them to yourself as PDF files. Or find a way to convert them to PDF. (Im looking) then open them to iBooks. Each document shows up on the books shelf and in the ibook list in order.
I needed this for countless songs done in word. So I could use my ipad as a song book at gigs.

notroll

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a combination of DropBox and SME Storage. SME storage lets me set up a set of WebDAV folders on all of my machines so I can simply drag and drop (except when I'm in Pages, but that's OK). I have SME Storage hook up to my Amazon cloud storage on the back end, so that is where I store everything.

The biggest frustration for me is that Pages does not let me keep more than one WebDAV account logged in, and nor does it remember the address for each one. So, when I go back and forth between the WebDAV servers at work and my personal account, I have to re-enter the login information each time. Would be really great to have a list of my servers to choose from when I "copy from" or "copy to" files.

Has anyone else run into this and do you have any solutions to keep from re-entering all the information each time you switch?

Most reactions

Latest posts