What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On this day in history.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
October 12, 1492;

Christopher Columbus makes his first landfall in the new world, probably at Watling Island in the Bahamas.
Christopher Columbus - Wikipedia
View attachment 79851
View attachment 79853
View attachment 79852

As stated in the added quote below from a few years back in this thread, the legacy of Christopher Columbus continues to deteriorate in the United States - only half of States now officially recognize October 12 as a holiday (if so, celebrated on the 2nd Monday of the month) - see map below (Source) - instead States are migrating to honor the native Americans rather than Columbus - the link above shows that a number now have an Indigenous Peoples’ Day or a Native American Day (I prefer the latter term) - this trend is likely to continue - earlier in the week, there were many articles, web discussions, and NPR radio programs on the topic and deservedly so, in my mind.

At the moment, North Carolina where I live does not observed Columbus Day as a holiday, but I'm rather surprised that some type of attention has not been given to the Native Americans - the interaction of indigenous peoples in the state with Europeans historically started in 1585 w/ the 'Lost Colony' (discussed in one of my travelogues), continued with other southern Indian nations, such as the Cherokees (and the unwarranted disaster of the Trail of Tears); and even into the present. Hopefully, North Carolina and many of the other States not celebrating its past and present Native populations will do so in the future. Dave :)

P.S. check my link below for an excellent book recommendation on the disastrous effects of the European discovery of the Americas.
Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 6.48.49 PM.png

Columbus Day Holiday Today!

On October 12, 1492, Christopher Columbus (an Italian sailing for Spain) unknowingly 'bumped into' the Americas on his way to China, and initiated one of the largest prolonged genocides in the world, i.e. the elimination of tens of millions of native Americans, likely greater than 90% of the pre-Columbian population by the 16th century - for those interested in the topic, I would recommend the American Holocaust: The Conquest of the New World (1993) by David E. Stannard - short quote below from Amazon USA - a Kindle edition is available for $10 (I still have my paperback copy).

This event has increasingly become a 'controversial' holiday (celebrated on the 2nd Monday of October in the USA) in the United States w/ strong support for the small remaining Native American citizens - several articles appeared today in my morning papers discussing this issue - checkout this USA Today article for some more extended discussion - the second quote below includes just a few paragraphs from that story.
View attachment 68117

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As stated in the added quote below from a few years back in this thread, the legacy of Christopher Columbus continues to deteriorate in the United States - only half of States now officially recognize October 12 as a holiday (if so, celebrated on the 2nd Monday of the month) - see map below (Source) - instead States are migrating to honor the native Americans rather than Columbus - the link above shows that a number now have an Indigenous Peoples’ Day or a Native American Day (I prefer the latter term) - this trend is likely to continue - earlier in the week, there were many articles, web discussions, and NPR radio programs on the topic and deservedly so, in my mind.

At the moment, North Carolina where I live does not observed Columbus Day as a holiday, but I'm rather surprised that some type of attention has not been given to the Native Americans - the interaction of indigenous peoples in the state with Europeans historically started in 1585 w/ the 'Lost Colony' (discussed in one of my travelogues), continued with other southern Indian nations, such as the Cherokees (and the unwarranted disaster of the Trail of Tears); and even into the present. Hopefully, North Carolina and many of the other States not celebrating its past and present Native populations will do so in the future. Dave :)

P.S. check my link below for an excellent book recommendation on the disastrous effects of the European discovery of the Americas.
View attachment 79856
The interesting thing is that in none of Columbus’s voyages did he ever set foot on or even see any lands that eventually formed parts of the United States.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Battle of Agincourt - English Longbow Devastates the French This Day in 1415!

During the Hundred Years' War (1337-1453), a series of conflicts raged between the English and French thrones with the most catastrophic French defeat occurring at Agincourt - the English longbow dominated the weaponry - the French lost nearly 6000 men, including about 40% of its nobility; English life loss was modest (see more in quotes below - Source). Pics show the battlefield, the English archers, and the short-lived Henry V. Dave :)

During the Hundred Years’ War between England and France, Henry V, the young king of England, leads his forces to victory at the Battle of Agincourt in northern France. Two months before, Henry had crossed the English Channel with 11,000 men and laid siege to Harfleur in Normandy. After five weeks the town surrendered, but Henry lost half his men to disease and battle casualties. He decided to march his army northeast to Calais, where he would meet the English fleet and return to England. At Agincourt, however, a vast French army of 20,000 men stood in his path, greatly outnumbering the exhausted English archers, knights, and men-at-arms.

The battlefield lay on 1,000 yards of open ground between two woods, which prevented large-scale maneuvers and thus worked to Henry’s advantage. At 11 a.m. on October 25, the battle commenced. The English stood their ground as French knights, weighed down by their heavy armor, began a slow advance across the muddy battlefield. The French were met by a furious bombardment of artillery from the English archers, who wielded innovative longbows with a range of 250 yards. French cavalrymen tried and failed to overwhelm the English positions, but the archers were protected by a line of pointed stakes. As more and more French knights made their way onto the crowded battlefield, their mobility decreased further, and some lacked even the room to raise their arms and strike a blow. At this point, Henry ordered his lightly equipped archers to rush forward with swords and axes, and the unencumbered Englishmen massacred the French.

Almost 6,000 Frenchmen lost their lives during the Battle of Agincourt, while English deaths amounted to just over 400. With odds greater than three to one, Henry had won one of the great victories of military history. After further conquests in France, Henry V was recognized in 1420 as heir to the French throne and the regent of France. He was at the height of his powers but died just two years later of camp fever near Paris.
Agincourt1.jpg
Agincourt2.png
Agincourt3.jpg
Agincourt4.jpg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Fats Domino Dies on Tuesday, October 24, At His Home - New Orleans Legend!

A New Orleans legend dies at his home at the age of 89 years - Blueberry Hill performance below, along w/ a pic and the only CD that I own of his music, but a good one w/ 20 of his hits. Dave :)

Antoine "Fats" Domino, Jr. (February 26, 1928 – October 24, 2017) was an American pianist and singer-songwriter of French Creole descent. Five of his records released before 1955 sold over a million copies and were certified as gold records and he had 35 records in the U.S. Billboard Top 40. During 1955 to 1960, he had eleven top 10 hits and his record sales were reportedly surpassed only by Elvis Presley. During his career, Domino sold over 65 million records. His musical style was based on traditional rhythm and blues, accompanied by saxophones, bass, piano, electric guitar, and drums. (Source

Fats1.png
Fats2.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Battle of Agincourt - English Longbow Devastates the French This Day in 1415!

During the Hundred Years' War (1337-1453), a series of conflicts raged between the English and French thrones with the most catastrophic French defeat occurring at Agincourt - the English longbow dominated the weaponry - the French lost nearly 6000 men, including about 40% of its nobility; English life loss was modest (see more in quotes below - Source). Pics show the battlefield, the English archers, and the short-lived Henry V. Dave :)

View attachment 80126 View attachment 80127 View attachment 80128 View attachment 80129
At the present time, archaeologists have yet to pinpoint the exact site of the battle. Very little has been found at the traditional site of the battle. Finding the site of the battlefield - Agincourt 1415 - University of Southampton

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
At the present time, archaeologists have yet to pinpoint the exact site of the battle. Very little has been found at the traditional site of the battle. Finding the site of the battlefield - Agincourt 1415 - University of Southampton

Thanks for the link - an interesting read - since the battle was 600+ years ago the terrain has likely changed a lot, I presume; went to the maps app on my MBPro and found Ruisseauville (north of Azincourt & stated in the link to be just north of the likely battlefield) - then switched to a satellite view (below) - seems like small towns and farm land - one would expect w/ a metal detector that a LOT of iron artifacts would be found (e.g. arrowheads, axes, armor pieces, etc.). Dave :)

P.S. notice the Rue Henri V south of Azincourt.
Screen Shot 2017-10-26 at 12.32.01 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link - an interesting read - since the battle was 600+ years ago the terrain has likely changed a lot, I presume; went to the maps app on my MBPro and found Ruisseauville (north of Azincourt & stated in the link to be just north of the likely battlefield) - then switched to a satellite view (below) - seems like small towns and farm land - one would expect w/ a metal detector that a LOT of iron artifacts would be found (e.g. arrowheads, axes, armor pieces, etc.). Dave :)

P.S. notice the Rue Henri V south of Azincourt.
View attachment 80137
Scavengers going through the battlefield shortly after the battle would have taken a lot of what was lost during the battle but there should still be lots to find if the actual site of the battle is ever discovered.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Gateway Arch in St. Louis Complete This Day in 1965!

About a half dozen years ago, we flew into St. Louis for a short vacation (our first and only visit) - our son drove in from Indianapolis - we visited the Gateway Arch (more below) and took the tram ride to the top for some spectacular views; nearby was the Old Courthouse where the Dred Scott cases took place, and a must visit. Among other memorable attractions (did a lot!) were a visit to the Budweiser Brewery for a tour & tasting - and saw some of their beautiful, large horses. Finally, a short drive across the Mississippi River into Illinois to the Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site, an important pre-Columbian Native American 'city' - all recommended; pics below of each attraction mentioned. Dave :)

On this day in 1965, construction is completed on the Gateway Arch, a spectacular 630-foot-high parabola of stainless steel marking the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial on the waterfront of St. Louis, Missouri. The Gateway Arch, designed by architect Eero Saarinen, commemorates President Thomas Jefferson’s Louisiana Purchase of 1803 and celebrates St. Louis’ central role in the rapid westward expansion that followed. As the market and supply point for fur traders and explorers—including the famous Lewis and Clark— St. Louis grew exponentially after the War of 1812, when great numbers of people began to travel by wagon train to seek their fortunes west of the Mississippi River. In 1947-48, Saarinen won a nationwide competition to design a monument honoring the spirit of the western pioneers. Sadly, the architect died of a brain tumor in 1961 and did not live to see the construction of his now-famous arch, which began in February 1963. (Source)

Completed in October 1965, the Gateway Arch cost less than $15 million to build. With foundations sunk 60 feet into the ground, its frame of stressed stainless steel is built to withstand both earthquakes and high winds. An internal tram system takes visitors to the top, where on a clear day they can see up to 30 miles across the winding Mississippi and to the Great Plains to the west. In addition to the Gateway Arch, the Jefferson Expansion Memorial includes the Museum of Westward Expansion and the Old Courthouse of St. Louis, where two of the famous Dred Scott slavery cases were heard in the 1860s. Today, some 4 million people visit the park each year. (Source)
StLouisA1.jpg
StLouisA2.jpg
StLouisA3.jpg
StLouisB1.jpg
StLouisB2.jpg
StLouisB3.jpg
StLouisC1.jpg
StLouisC2.jpg
StLouisC3.jpg
StLouisD1.jpg
StLouisD2.jpg
StLouisD3.jpg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Lisbon Destroyed By Earthquake This Day in 1755!

In the early 1970s, Susan & I took a trip to Portugal, including the island of Madeira (my introduction to the fortified wines there) - we spent about 4 days in Lisbon, visiting the city and taking day trips to the beautiful coastal areas. Unfortunately, we did not include the northern city of Oporto, center of the port area and trade (dessert wines that I collected and aged in bygone days). The city was a pleasure and much remembered about the 1755 devastating earthquake and tsunami in its museums and some of the ruins. Just a few pics below, including an excellent book, Wrath of God, that I read a while ago. Dave :)

A devastating earthquake hits Lisbon, Portugal, killing as many as 50,000 people, on this day in 1755. The city was virtually rebuilt from scratch following the widespread destruction. Lisbon was Portugal’s capital and largest city during the prosperous 18th century, when diamonds and gold from the Portuguese colony in Brazil made many in the country wealthy. About 300,000 people lived in Lisbon, one of the biggest ports on the Atlantic Ocean, the city played a critical role in world trade at the time. (Source)

On All Saints Day, three tremors over 10 minutes suddenly struck Lisbon. The worst of the quakes is thought to have had a magnitude of 8.0, though this is just an estimate. The devastating effects of the earthquake were felt throughout the city. Close to the coast, a 20-foot tsunami rushed ashore and killed thousands. Many people were observing All Saints Day in churches at the time and died when the buildings collapsed. Fires broke out all over the city and winds spread the flames quickly. The royal palace was destroyed, as were thousands of homes. Much of the country’s cultural history, preserved in books, art and architecture, was wiped away in an instant. (Source)

Many of the city’s residents, including hundreds of escaped prisoners, fled Lisbon immediately. The death toll has been estimated at between 10,000 and 50,000. The Marquis of Pombal was assigned the task of rebuilding the city. The twisting narrow streets that had once made up Lisbon were replaced by broad avenues. The reconstruction also featured one of the first uses of prefabricated buildings. While the rebuilding was a notable success, some used the tragedy for their own purposes. Religious authorities proclaimed that the earthquake was caused by the wrath of God. (Source)
LisbonA1.png
LisbonA2.png
LisbonB1.jpg
LisbonB2.jpg
LisbonB3.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lisbon Destroyed By Earthquake This Day in 1755!

In the early 1970s, Susan & I took a trip to Portugal, including the island of Madeira (my introduction to the fortified wines there) - we spent about 4 days in Lisbon, visiting the city and taking day trips to the beautiful coastal areas. Unfortunately, we did not include the northern city of Oporto, center of the port area and trade (dessert wines that I collected and aged in bygone days). The city was a pleasure and much remembered about the 1755 devastating earthquake and tsunami in its museums and some of the ruins. Just a few pics below, including an excellent book, Wrath of God, that I read a while ago. Dave :)

View attachment 80191 View attachment 80192 View attachment 80193 View attachment 80194 View attachment 80195
Is there anything of medieval Lisbon surviving?
Was the castle in the last photo one of the survivors of the earthquake?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is there anything of medieval Lisbon surviving?
Was the castle in the last photo one of the survivors of the earthquake?

Boy, after 40+ years, my recollection is rather vague, sorry - but the web comes to the rescue - a couple of good links on Lisbon and Earthquake Effects (latter claims that 75,000 people died w/i a week!) - and more on the SĂŁo Jorge Castle - below a quote from the last link indicating severe damage to the castle, so assume much restoration since the earthquake.

So, there are pre-quake remains (or restorations) - also, an interesting 'neighborhood' (of many) that we visited (on a city tour and later on our own) was the Alfama described in the second quote - pretty much survived intact because of its location - as I recall, the streets were curvy & tight - shops, restaurants, etc. and likely even more these days. Dave :)

The 1755 Lisbon earthquake severely damaged the castle and contributed to its continuing decay: apart from the walls of the old castle, the soldier's hospital and the Recolhimento were left in ruins. The necessity of maintaining a supporting military force within the capital city required expansion of the site's role of garrison and presidio. From 1780 to 1807, the charitable institution Casa Pia, dedicated to the education of poor children, was established in the citadel, while soldiers continued to be garrisoned on site. Inspired by the events of the earthquake and the following tsunami, the first geodetic observatory in Portugal was constructed in 1788 at the top of one of the towers of the castle, later referred to as the Torre do ObservatĂłrio (Observatory Tower).

The Alfama is the oldest district of Lisbon, spreading on the slope between the São Jorge Castle and the Tejo river. Its name comes from the Arabic Al-hamma, meaning "hot fountains" or "baths". The district includes the freguesias (parishes) of São Miguel, Santo Estêvão, São Vicente de Fora and part of the two streets, "Freguesia da Sé: Rua do Barão" and "Rua São João da Praça". It contains many important historical attractions, as well as an abundance of Fado bars and restaurants.
2000px-CastleSaintGeorge.jpg
Alfama-CCBY.jpg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel Ceiling Exhibited to Public First Time in 1512!

Well, I usually don't put up two posts a day in this thread, but the above is another personal experience for Susan & me - after I graduated from medical school (May 1971), Susan's parents wanted to give us a 'celebration gift', so I choose a visit to Italy (my first trip to Europe) - we started in Rome, went as far south as Naples and Capri, then up to Florence & Venice, and finally Lake Como & Milan, a 2+ week trip.

While in Rome, we spent a day in Vatican City w/ a visit to St. Peter's Basilica and the Sistine Chapel - Michelangelo produced some of his finest 'paintings' in that chapel located next to the much larger basilica - pics below show the chapel's location in the 'city', and multiple images of the inside w/ ceiling, walls, and the final Last Judgment. Dave :)

The ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in Rome, one of Italian artist Michelangelo’s finest works, is exhibited to the public for the first time. Michelangelo Buonarroti, the great Italian Renaissance artist, was born in the small village of Caprese in 1475. The son of a government administrator, he grew up in Florence, and became an artist’s apprentice at age 13. Demonstrating obvious talent, he was taken under the wing of Lorenzo de’ Medici, the ruler of the Florentine republic and a great patron of the arts. After demonstrating his mastery of sculpture in such works as the Pieta (1498) and David (1504), he was called to Rome in 1508 to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel—the chief consecrated space in the Vatican. (Source)

Michelangelo’s epic ceiling frescoes, which took several years to complete, are among his most memorable works. Central in a complex system of decoration featuring numerous figures are nine panels devoted to biblical world history. The most famous of these is The Creation of Adam, in which the arms of God and Adam are stretching toward each other. In 1512, Michelangelo completed the work. After 15 years as an architect in Florence, Michelangelo returned to Rome in 1534, where he would work and live for the rest of his life. That year saw his painting of the The Last Judgment on the wall above the altar in the Sistine Chapel for Pope Paul III. The massive painting depicts Christ’s damnation of sinners and blessing of the virtuous, regarded as a masterpiece. (Source)
SChapel1.png
SChapel2.jpg
SChapel3.jpg
SChapel4.jpg
SChapel5.jpg
SChapel6.png
SChapel7.jpg
SChapel8.jpg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Opened Today in 1930!

The United States and Canada were connected by a 5,150 ft (1,570 meters) underwater tunnel 87 years ago today. The tunnel is the second busiest crossing between the United States and Canada after the nearby Ambassador Bridge (more details in this Wiki Article).

Having grown up in southern Michigan and going to school near Detroit, I've probably gone through this tunnel at least a dozen times; four trips (counting both ways) w/ Susan, first to Niagara Falls and then to Stratford, Ontario for their Annual Festival - this last trip was in the early 1970s - have not been back since that time. Dave :)

On this day in 1930, the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel between the United States and Canada officially opened to car traffic. As Windsor Mayor Frederick Jackson had bragged at the dedication ceremony two days before, the structure–the only international subaqueous tunnel in the world–made it possible to “pass from one great country to the other in only three minutes.” The first passenger car through the tunnel was a 1929 Studebaker. Construction on the tunnel began in May 1928 and relied on all sorts of innovative methods and technologies. Workers known as “sandhogs” excavated the gray muck under the river by blasting at it with air-driver knives; then, they used powerful hydraulic jacks to push a huge shield forward through the mud. Behind the shield, workers lined the new tunnel with giant steel plates. Next, they completed the underwater part of the tunnel using a process they called the “trench-and-tube”: After the sandhogs had lined the underwater trench with steel plates, they sank nine 250-foot-long, 8,000-ton steel and concrete tubes to the bottom of the river, where divers welded them together. (Source)

The tunnel had an amazingly sophisticated ventilation system. Each end of the tunnel had a 100-foot–tall ventilation tower; each tower held 12 huge fans, six for pumping fresh air into the tunnel and six for exhaust. The powerful blowers still pump 1.5 million cubic feet of air into the tunnel each minute, completely changing the air in the tunnel every 90 seconds. Concerned about the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in the tunnel, the air under the river was actually cleaner than the air on the Detroit streets outside. The tunnel’s ventilation system still works just as well as it did 80 years ago. In fact, the air quality is so good that every year the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel is a part of the Free Press Marathon–the only international underwater mile in road racing. (Source)
DWTunnel1.png
DWTunnel2.png
DWTunnel3.jpg
DWTunnel4.jpg
DWTunnel5.jpg
DWTunnel6.jpg
DWTunnel7.jpg
DWTunnel8.jpg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I actually went through that tunnel several years ago. It is really cool.

Hi Thomas - well 45+ years for my wife and I - we were young newlyweds on our visit to Stratford for the festival - brought her younger sister along who was also attending the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor - had a great time, cannot remember what 'shows or plays' that we saw, but had a terrible Chinese dinner there - should have searched for some more authentic Canadian grub - :) Dave

Most reactions

Latest posts