What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On this day in history.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Darwin's Origin of Species Published Today in 1859!

One year ago, Johanna mentioned the publication of Darwin's classic (HERE) - I responded w/ pics of a half dozen books related to the topic; so for those interested take a look back in this thread to November 2016.

But I'm in the middle of reading the book below - The Book That Changed America by Randall Fuller, published earlier this read - believe that my attention to this book was from a NPR review. The subjects discussed are more about well known Americans of the period, especially in New England, who were affected by Darwin's publication - these stories are interweaved w/ current historic events in the United States, such as slavery, abolitionists (as were a number of the personages mentioned), etc. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 11.40.23 AM.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
United Nations Voted Today in 1947 to Create an Independent Jewish State in Palestine!

This day in 1947, the United Nations voted to partition Palestine and create an independent Jewish state, which occurred in May, 1948 - some more details in the quotes below. The Near East has been a complicated place for thousands of years and remains so - the birthplace of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam - I just finished the excellent book shown below, Israel: A Concise History Of A Nation Reborn (2016) by Daniel Gordis and for those interested, a strong recommendation.

Susan was brought up Jewish (reform) and I Catholic - our son would be considered Jewish, but neither of us were religious and we joined a liberal Unitarian Fellowship (and still belong to the same one in our home town); he attended their Sunday school as a child and learned about the world's religions and dedication to family, friends, and community. He also experienced some of the Jewish holidays - Susan's parents would visit and her father would lead a seder - we celebrated Hanukkah and lit a menorah (and still do) - our son would get little presents each day (and also Christmas presents!). Dave :)

Despite strong Arab opposition, the United Nations votes for the partition of Palestine and the creation of an independent Jewish state. The modern conflict between Jews and Arabs in Palestine dates back to the 1910s, when both groups laid claim to the British-controlled territory. The Jews were Zionists, recent emigrants from Europe and Russia who came to the ancient homeland of the Jews to establish a Jewish national state. The native Palestinian Arabs sought to stem Jewish immigration and set up a secular Palestinian state. (Source)

Beginning in 1929, Arabs and Jews openly fought in Palestine, and Britain attempted to limit Jewish immigration as a means of appeasing the Arabs. As a result of the Holocaust in Europe, many Jews illegally entered Palestine during World War II. Radical Jewish groups employed terrorism against British forces in Palestine, which they thought had betrayed the Zionist cause. At the end of World War II, in 1945, the United States took up the Zionist cause. Britain, unable to find a practical solution, referred the problem to the United Nations, which on November 29, 1947, voted to partition Palestine.(Source)

The Jews were to possess more than half of Palestine, though they made up less than half of Palestine’s population. The Palestinian Arabs, aided by volunteers from other countries, fought the Zionist forces, but the Jews secured full control of their U.N.-allocated share of Palestine and also some Arab territory. On May 14, 1948, Britain withdrew with the expiration of its mandate, and the State of Israel was proclaimed by Jewish Agency Chairman David Ben-Gurion. The next day, forces from Egypt, Transjordan, Syria, Lebanon, and Iraq invaded.(Source)
Israel1.jpg
Israel2.png
Israel3.jpg
Israel4.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
November 30, 1835;

Samuel Clemens is born in Florida, Missouri. He became famous as the writer Mark Twain.
Mark Twain - Wikipedia

Two of his most famous books are The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, published in 1876, and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn; published on December 10, 1884.
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Wikipedia
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Wikipedia

Mark Twain (or real name, 'Samuel Langhorne Clemens') was an amazing American - an author, journalist, lecturer, humorist, entrepreneur, and publisher. He was also a Mississippi riverboat pilot (a lucrative position at the time and requiring a visual 'memory map' of the curves and bends of the snaky river and the numerous points of potential danger) - his pen name derives from his early nautical experience, likely related to marking the depth of the water for purposes of navigation.

As a lecturer and humorist (and in his many writings), he was famous for his innumerable sayings - just a few of my favorite (of many) quoted below, from HERE for those interested in more! As a publisher, he was responsible financially for releasing the two-volume Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant, which provided his family with needed funds as he was dying from throat cancer.

Finally a few months ago, I finished the book described and shown below: The True Flag: Theodore Roosevelt, Mark Twain, and the Birth of the American Empire (2017) by Stephen Kinzer - an excellent account of 'imperialistic' goals of the United States at and after the time of the Spanish-American War - recommended to those interested in the topic and the antagonistic relationship between Teddy & Mark - :) Dave

When I was fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have him around. When I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it.

To cease smoking is the easiest thing I ever did, I ought to know because I've done it a thousand times.

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.

In The True Flag: Theodore Roosevelt, Mark Twain, and the Birth of the American Empire, award-winning journalist and author Stephen Kinzer recalls the four-year period 1898-1902, when the United States made its debut as a world power. The central event in this story was the U.S. seizure of Cuba, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Philippines and the annexation of Hawaii, all in 1898. (from Amazon)
61Uvdo5eSBL.jpg

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Chunnel (English Channel Tunnel) Breakthrough This Day in 1990!

On this day in 1990, workers from England and France connected with each other in the early construction of the English Channel Tunnel (a.k.a. Chunnel) - completion took another 4 years at a cost of $15 billion (assume that is USD, which is $28 billion today adjusted for inflation!). My last visit to Europe was in 1996 (Italy) and probably late 1980s to England/Scotland (took our teenage son along), so I've never crossed the English Channel through the tunnel (nor by water, for that matter).

P.S. The Seikan Tunnel in Japan is the world's longest tunnel with an undersea segment (The Channel tunnel, while shorter, has a longer undersea segment). It is also the second deepest and the second longest main-line railway tunnel after the Gotthard Base Tunnel in Switzerland opened in 2016 (Source).

On December 1, 1990, 132 feet below the English Channel, workers drill an opening the size of a car through a wall of rock. This was no ordinary hole–it connected the two ends of an underwater tunnel linking Great Britain with the European mainland for the first time in more than 8,000 years. The Channel Tunnel, or “Chunnel,” was not a new idea, and suggested to Napoleon Bonaparte, in fact, as early as 1802. It wasn’t until the late 20th century, though, that the necessary technology was developed. In 1986, Britain and France signed a treaty authorizing the construction of a tunnel running between Folkestone, England, and Calais, France. (Source)

Over the next four years, nearly 13,000 workers dug 95 miles of tunnels at an average depth of 150 feet (45 meters) below sea level. The completed Chunnel would have three interconnected tubes, including one rail track in each direction and one service tunnel. Cost a whopping $15 billion! After workers drilled that final hole on December 1, 1990, they exchanged French and British flags and toasted each other with champagne. After four more years, the Channel Tunnel finally opened for passenger service on May 6, 1994, with Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II and France’s President Francois Mitterrand on hand in Calais for the inaugural run. A company called Eurotunnel won the 55-year concession to operate the Chunnel, which is the crucial stretch of the Eurostar high-speed rail link between London and Paris. The regular shuttle train through the tunnel runs 31 miles in total–23 of those underwater–and takes 20 minutes, with an additional 15-minute loop to turn the train around. The Chunnel is the second-longest rail tunnel in the world, after the Seikan Tunnel in Japan. (Source)
Chunnel1.jpg
Chunnel2.jpg
Chunnel3.jpg
Chunnel4.jpeg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chunnel (English Channel Tunnel) Breakthrough This Day in 1990!

On this day in 1990, workers from England and France connected with each other in the early construction of the English Channel Tunnel (a.k.a. Chunnel) - completion took another 4 years at a cost of $15 billion (assume that is USD, which is $28 billion today adjusted for inflation!). My last visit to Europe was in 1996 (Italy) and probably late 1980s to England/Scotland (took our teenage son along), so I've never crossed the English Channel through the tunnel (nor by water, for that matter).

P.S. The Seikan Tunnel in Japan is the world's longest tunnel with an undersea segment (The Channel tunnel, while shorter, has a longer undersea segment). It is also the second deepest and the second longest main-line railway tunnel after the Gotthard Base Tunnel in Switzerland opened in 2016 (Source).

View attachment 80547 View attachment 80548 View attachment 80549 View attachment 80550
My hotel when I was last in London was a block away from St Pancras station, where passengers board the Eurostar.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My hotel when I was last in London was a block away from St Pancras station, where passengers board the Eurostar.

We've stayed in London on two different trips in the '80s - both times at the May Fair Hotel, a great location w/ the Green Park Tube station nearby; also, just a block away was the famous Berkeley Square of song - probably our favorite version w/ Mel Torme (as below, for those interested). BUT, I had to jog my geographic memory, i.e. London is not that far from the Channel Tunnel, as shown in the map (blue arrows) - doubt that we'll be returning - if we did a tunnel crossing would be on my agenda! :) Dave
Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 1.36.31 PM.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Pearl Harbor Bombed on this day in 1941!

Well, a BIG event today from 1941 - the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor which brought the United States into WW II - just a couple of pics below - plenty more could be said, so will be interested in the responses.

P.S. Same post that I left a few years ago - time flies! :) Dave

At 7:55 a.m. Hawaii time, a Japanese dive bomber bearing the red symbol of the Rising Sun of Japan on its wings appears out of the clouds above the island of Oahu. A swarm of 360 Japanese warplanes followed, descending on the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor in a ferocious assault. The surprise attack struck a critical blow against the U.S. Pacific fleet and drew the United States irrevocably into World War II (Source).
View attachment 69327 View attachment 69328

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pearl Harbor Bombed on this day in 1941!

Well, a BIG event today from 1941 - the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor which brought the United States into WW II - just a couple of pics below - plenty more could be said, so will be interested in the responses.

P.S. Same post that I left a few years ago - time flies! :) Dave

View attachment 69327 View attachment 69328
I’ve been to Pearl Harbour several times and have visited the Arizona memorial. Most visitors to Pearl Harbour don’t realize that the Arizona isn’t the only battleship sunk that day that’s still at the bottom of the Harbour. The USS Utah is on the opposite side of Ford Island. USS Utah (BB-31) - Wikipedia
CF7DBB4A-55E8-421D-87D5-35B5F212A0AE.jpeg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’ve been to Pearl Harbour several times and have visited the Arizona memorial. Most visitors to Pearl Harbour don’t realize that the Arizona isn’t the only battleship sunk that day that’s still at the bottom of the Harbour. The USS Utah is on the opposite side of Ford Island. USS Utah (BB-31) - Wikipedia
View attachment 80603

We've been to Hawaii twice, but visited the Arizona Memorial just once; the nearby Battleship USS Missouri Memorial opened in 1999 and our visits were earlier, so have missed that one - would have loved to been on the ship were the Japanese surrender was signed - one of my older academic radiology colleagues, Elias Theros was a WW II Naval Intelligence Officer and interpreter (he spoke a half dozen languages, including Japanese) - he was on the USS Missouri and likely participated in the surrender - he passed away in 1994 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery (gravestone shown below) - he was a remarkable individual (check link for short bio, if interested).

Susan & I are watching the new Hawaii Five-O and love the frequent 'fly over' scenes of the islands, often including views of Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial - the head of the fictional 'task force' is Steve McGarrett, who's grandfather was on the Arizona (of course, in the series) and presumably is entombed in the sunken ship (as are over 1100+ men, in reality) - couple more pics below. Dave :)

P.S. In our daily newspaper, a story ran of the identification of 100 sailors & Marines who died on the USS Oklahoma during the December 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor - pic below and LINK - this event and story continues to fascinate and be honored.
PHarbor1.jpg
PHarbor2.jpg
PHarbor3.jpg
PHarbor4.png
PHarbor5.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We've been to Hawaii twice, but visited the Arizona Memorial just once; the nearby Battleship USS Missouri Memorial opened in 1999 and our visits were earlier, so have missed that one - would have loved to been on the ship were the Japanese surrender was signed - one of my older academic radiology colleagues, Elias Theros was a WW II Naval Intelligence Officer and interpreter (he spoke a half dozen languages, including Japanese) - he was on the USS Missouri and likely participated in the surrender - he passed away in 1994 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery (gravestone shown below) - he was a remarkable individual (check link for short bio, if interested).

Susan & I are watching the new Hawaii Five-O and love the frequent 'fly over' scenes of the islands, often including views of Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial - the head of the fictional 'task force' is Steve McGarrett, who's grandfather was on the Arizona (of course, in the series) and presumably is entombed in the sunken ship (as are over 1100+ men, in reality) - couple more pics below. Dave :)

P.S. In our daily newspaper, a story ran of the identification of 100 sailors & Marines who died on the USS Oklahoma during the December 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor - pic below and LINK - this event and story continues to fascinate and be honored.
View attachment 80610 View attachment 80611 View attachment 80612 View attachment 80613 View attachment 80614
I’ve visited the USS Missouri before it’s last period of active service, when it was moored at the Bremerton Navy Yard in Washington. There is a brass plate set in the deck at the spot where the surrender was signed.I’ve also had a tour of the USS New Jersey when it was in service and got to visit the inside of one of the main gun turrets.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’ve visited the USS Missouri before it’s last period of active service, when it was moored at the Bremerton Navy Yard in Washington. There is s brass plate set in the deck at the spot where the surrender was signed.I’ve also had a tour of the USS New Jersey when it was in service and got to visit the inside of one of the main gun turrets.

I enjoy visiting these ships but Susan was always uncomfortable climbing 'up & down' and particularly disliked submarines, so don't expect to visit many more - over the decades, I've been on maybe a half dozen WW II vessels (but plenty of other boats and ships from earlier eras) - Patriots Point is a good location in Charleston, SC w/ the USS Yorktown, a destroyer, and a submarine. My BIL use to live in Mobile, AL and we were on the USS Alabama and in a sub there; and of course, the USS North Carolina is docked in Wilmington and topic of my travelogues.

I was just looking at this Wiki list of Maritime Museums in the United States, which include a LOT of variety from the ones w/ WW II vessels, to lighthouses, locales (e.g. Mystic Seaport, Annapolis, etc.), and whaling museums; there are 268 listings - WOW - looking quickly over that list, believe that I've seen maybe 3 dozen or so, and amazed at how many I've missed in my 'neck of the woods', i.e. mid-Atlantic - we might visit the Yorktown/Williamsburg/Newport News area in Virginia next year (a new museum of the American Revolution opened earlier this year) and there are plenty on that list that I have not seen. Dave :)
Ships1.jpg
Ships2.png
Ships3.jpg
Ships4.jpg

Most reactions