What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Generation iPads

zirconian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do people do with their old generation iPads? Have we sold them off? Or kept it under our beds?

VitaW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My son uses my first gen iPad. He plays games and watches Netflix on it. He is three.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm holding on to mine as backup while the iPad3 is charging.

Also, having Google Maps on it is a bonus ;)

Then, it's handy to have as a second screen from time to time.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We gave away my husband's and my iPad 1s. We had three total, and other people are now happily using them.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
VitaW said:
My son uses my first gen iPad. He plays games and watches Netflix on it. He is three.

Perfect. I suspect for many years the older iPads will be used just for these types of things and that's awesome. Your boy now has his own portable TV per say. Sweet!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perfect. I suspect for many years the older iPads will be used just for these types of things and that's awesome. Your boy now has his own portable TV per say. Sweet!

It depends on how long an app is supported by a developer. iPhone 3G was sold till mid-2010 (that's about 2.5 years ago) and Netflix's app now requires firmware that iPhone 3G can't access, for instance. Owners of old gear have to hope developers will support backward compatibility for apps we might've already loaded, and we won't be able to access new versions in many cases.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If and when I take my iPad2 out of service I plan on keeping pictures and music on it.

Yes, I was thinking about hanging onto my last iPad 1 for photos, but I knew of a teen who'd make better use of it and couldn't afford an iPad, so I gave it to him.

I figure I'll keep my iPad 2 for photos when I replace it with an iPad 5. Right now, I keep iPad 2 on iOS 5.1.1 so I can use the old version of Google maps, because my iPad 4 came with later firmware.

runningbear29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I was thinking about hanging onto my last iPad 1 for photos, but I knew of a teen who'd make better use of it and couldn't afford an iPad, so I gave it to him.

I figure I'll keep my iPad 2 for photos when I replace it with an iPad 5. Right now, I keep iPad 2 on iOS 5.1.1 so I can use the old version of Google maps, because my iPad 4 came with later firmware.

You can always use Google Chrome and go to Google maps to use their Mapping program. I updated my iPad2&iPad4 and have always used Google Maps on both my iPad2&iPad4.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can always use Google Chrome and go to Google maps to use their Mapping program. I updated my iPad2&iPad4 and have always used Google Maps on both my iPad2&iPad4.

I prefer the app because of location services and stuff conveniently popping open if I say search for something in Safari and want to map it immediately. That's why I've got iPad 2 and iPhone 4S still on iOS 5.1.1. I can always upgrade later if I choose to, but can't downgrade if I change my mind. Meanwhile, I've got iOS 6 versions on iPad 4 and touch 4 and 5, so I've got flexibility.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I prefer the app because of location services and stuff conveniently popping open if I say search for something in Safari and want to map it immediately. That's why I've got iPad 2 and iPhone 4S still on iOS 5.1.1. I can always upgrade later if I choose to, but can't downgrade if I change my mind. Meanwhile, I've got iOS 6 versions on iPad 4 and touch 4 and 5, so I've got flexibility.

The same goes for me, Kay.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm with you on having multiple screens, too, Richard.

Last weekend, I was booking airfare for me and three others. I had one iPad on Safari so I could buy tickets, another iPad on a fare comparison app, and my Android phone so I could see a calendar. I needed a fourth screen, my iPhone, so I could look at screen captures I'd taken of various itineraries. Lol.

That was more multi-screening than usual for me, though. I often have two on -- iPad for surfing and a movie going on a Kindle Fire. I combine those two most frequently, because I rigged my Levo stand to hold an iPad and a Kindle Fire at the same time, leaving my hands free.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sold my iPad 1 and then got the iPad 3 retina. I didn't feel the need to have 2 iPads, it was a 16gb wifi only, so the money from the sale if the iPad 1 went towards the iPad 3. Sold it for £250 on eBay. Now at the pawn shop I can see iPad 2's for a little more money.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

That's a nice generous gesture on your part, Kay. Good on ya!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts