What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which refurbished iPad to get?

nightowl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI, I sold my first generation iPad and went to the Surface tablet, don't like it. I'm thinking about getting a refurbished iPad but don't know which one to get. Apple store has iPad 2 32gb (2nd generation) $309, or 3rd gen iPad 16gb $269 and has a later release date. Then there is iPad with retina display 16gb (4th generation) $299. The iPad 2 has the earliest release date. I'm confused about all the different generations.
I'd like to stay under $350.

My original iPad I had to connect to the computer to sync and always had problems with things not syncing right. Do all the newer ones sync without having to physically connect to another computer?

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it were me...and if the the pocketbook allowed for it...I'd get the iPad Air. The Apple Store is now selling refurbed iPad Airs, since the the new release is right around the corner. That way, you'll be updated with a current iPad running the latest version of iOS.

Good luck and let us know what you decide! :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iCloud syncing is the most reliable and least trouble. Syncing through a computer and iTunes is legacy stuff. It can be trouble if it's not set up just right; especially if you try to sync more than one mobile device with it.

While iCloud has the most syncing utility and compatibility between iOS devices, you can also sync your email, calendars, and contacts through other providers such as Google, Yahoo, and HotMail.

It's not exclusive. You can use them all. Many people have both an iCloud account and one or more of the others. I have iCloud, Gmail, and Yahoo; and use them roughly in that order.

Hold in mind that syncing books, videos, music, and other media is a different beast. It's going to depend entirely on the sources of your media and how it got on the computer.

If you are ripping CD,s then you can use the rather complicated iTunes on the computer or some differently complicated workflows with other software. If you are syncing with a media source like Apple's iTunes Store, Amazon, or Google Play, then you won't need the computer, but you may need another app on the iPad.

OP
N

nightowl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I ordered the iPad with retina display 4th generation. Only16 gb, they didn't have the refurbished32 and didn't want to spend the $$ for the air. I just use it for checking email, browsing , maybe watching a movie when flying or on vacation. I always seemed to loose stuff when hooked to the computer and syncing with the original iPad. Hope this one is better.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I ordered the iPad with retina display 4th generation. Only16 gb, they didn't have the refurbished32 and didn't want to spend the $$ for the air. I just use it for checking email, browsing , maybe watching a movie when flying or on vacation. I always seemed to loose stuff when hooked to the computer and syncing with the original iPad. Hope this one is better.

That's a good choice. The 4 is still a fairly current product and should serve you well for many years. Hope you got a good deal on it too. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts