What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Odd IPF Issue

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Perhaps I am too darn dumb, but I have seen a strange problem with either the iPad Forum in general or my slow mind.

I am typing along, and when I speel chack, some words flow together after the spell check. My crappy writing is made even worse because 'wordslikethis' appear. I speel chak again and "words like this" change to "word slikethis." After fixing things, all is well. Until the next time.

I have also noticed that a little yeller "auto-saved" notice flashes in the lower right hand bottom corner. Just started happening this week. Is it me or IPF or a setting I cannot seem to find?

Also . . .

After I check my spelling, close the spell checker dialog box, and click in the body of the post/reply, the entire message flashes. Sometimes, I am presented with the before spell checked message. It is as though this nefarious 'auto-saved' is replacing my carefully refined reply with the first draft.

Bob is very confused.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed that little yellow auto saved message, it's in safari, I only noticed it recently, I thought I may have just never seen it before but I figure it must be new or I am just really forgetful!

The Archangel

OP
B

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I noticed that little yellow auto saved message, it's in safari, I only noticed it recently, I thought I may have just never seen it before but I figure it must be new or I am just really forgetful!

The Archangel

I tried Opera, Safari, and IE. Same little message. Perhaps it is not me, but the grand conspiracy. I thought it might be caused by something I installed, but if you see it, either I infected your 'puter or it is IPF. So, you, over there . . . IPF, what in blazing kittens did you do to my computer, huh? Not content with wasting my time, you had to go and befuddle me? And you went after Richard? You cad, knock it off, right now.

Smiley.

Now, when I decide to start a new line and I place the cursor where I want it to break, it breaks in the middle of the word. I must place my cursor several characters before the period in the next sentence or things get funky. I hate funky for the most part. Not good for cheese, whole milk, or the IPF.

All I need now is a registered letter from the IRS or perhaps a call from a bawling nurse telling me I really need to call my doctor because they found suspicious lump on my butt. Perhaps being once again surrounded by SWAT. Then the day will be complete.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know about the spell check issue, it works fine for me. I'm on an iMac using Lion. I'm pretty sure spell check is a system, not a web site feature.

I too noticed the new autosave feature. Sometime I may have to do some exploring and figure what and how it is saving. I've accidentally closed a tab when in the middle of editing before. If there is a way to retrieve the partially typed post that would be very cool.

The word splitting is annoying, but it does not make any difference when you post. The words wrap properly there. My spell check even recognizes that the word is valid in the not-so-rare instance when I need to spell check a word that ends up on two lines.

However, if you use the top left button on the editor (A/A) you can switch between standard and WYSIWYG editor. The WYSIWYG editor does not split the words. It also shows you links, bold, and other special stuff as it will appear, instead of the markup code.

I've no idea if this will fix the spell checking weirdness.

I played with this in Safari on the iPad too. It used to make the text body un-editable when you were in the WYSIWYG editor. Now it appears to just ignore the button and stay in the standard editor; which is all to the good.

Most reactions

Latest posts