What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail always select an old message when opening it

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
I got this strange behavior in the Mail app where the default selected email when opening the app is always a really old one. Instead of showing me the most recent one, as it was doing before iOS 5, it shows me an old message being selected and displayed. So each time I need to scroll up to reach the new incoming messages.

I did restart the iPad, closed all apps, and so on. I currently have 3 "Exchange" account configured (with contacts and calendars) and also the iCloud account.

The old selected email is always the same one (from Box.net). I don't want to delete it, but that may be the fix.

Basically, everything runs fine, but I am annoyed to scroll up each time I open the Mail app to see the new email received. Seems to happen after a while, where Mail probably got closed to leave space for other apps in memory...

Any ideas or tips?

VicoPad addict!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I suppose you could try moving the email to another folder (out of the Inbox) and see what happens. You could even delete it, see what happens, then rescue it from the Trash, and see what happens.

I rarely have more than a dozen emails in my inbox, and to the best of my memory Mail always opens to the last email I was looking at, or a blank if I emptied the Inbox before closing. But I have to admit, I haven't been making any effort to track it closely, so I could be wrong.

OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
twerppoet said:
I suppose you could try moving the email to another folder (out of the Inbox) and see what happens. You could even delete it, see what happens, then rescue it from the Trash, and see what happens.

I rarely have more than a dozen emails in my inbox, and to the best of my memory Mail always opens to the last email I was looking at, or a blank if I emptied the Inbox before closing. But I have to admit, I haven't been making any effort to track it closely, so I could be wrong.

I tried, moving and deleting the culprit message. Still have the same issue but on another message this time. Luckily, it's less older so I don't have to scroll up as much. That is until I get more messages and it will get older ;)

One thing I noticed, it seems to be only select messages from my first account, never of the other accounts. A I have said, I have 3 email accounts, one personal and 2 for business. The personal account is also the one used as my Apple account, so maybe that's why it is being used as the default one. Maybe time to report to Apple...

VicoPad addict!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. If you do go to Apple I'd like to know what they say, or if they just scratch their collective head as I am doing. ;)

CherrySS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same issue as of this date 11-1-15 which means it hasn't been fixed. I've also had this happen before which is why I'm here this time.
The only solution I could find is to delete the email it keeps opening to, then selected latest message, then swipe mail up and out of memory, and after that it should open to the latest message.
GL!

PadyMcc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue.
Have multiple email accounts on my iPad Air and recently when opening my mail, it's always on an old message - the same one. same as listed in above thread. Has anyone found the solution? Is it from the latest ISO updates?

Julescli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also having this exact same issue and looking for resolution.... Anbody have any luck fixing this?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the account is an IMAP or Exchange account then try deleting the account with the problem email, then reinstalling it in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Both of these account types keep your email and folders on the server, so they should re-sync when the account is re-added.

If it is a POP3 account you can also try this, but should be sure that you've dealt with all emails, or saved them elsewhere. You may not get them all back, or worse, you may get a lot of them back as new and have to play games to clean the account up.

Google (by default), Yahoo, iCloud, and most third party email services are IMAP. A few like Hotmail are Exchange based. Most email accounts that come with ISP (Internet Service Providers) or cellphone accounts are POP3. I don't recommend using these as your primary account.

If in doubt, check with your provider. (Though a little digging in your existing account settings should provide the answer as well).

Bigmitsi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I found something interesting. Try moving this "problematic" message to another folder, say [archive], restart mail app then move it back to the [inbox] folder.
Worked for me

jreacher79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do you restart the email app? Will turning the device off and on again work?

Fred Hadley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got this strange behavior in the Mail app where the default selected email when opening the app is always a really old one. Instead of showing me the most recent one, as it was doing before iOS 5, it shows me an old message being selected and displayed. So each time I need to scroll up to reach the new incoming messages.

I did restart the iPad, closed all apps, and so on. I currently have 3 "Exchange" account configured (with contacts and calendars) and also the iCloud account.

The old selected email is always the same one (from Box.net). I don't want to delete it, but that may be the fix.

Basically, everything runs fine, but I am annoyed to scroll up each time I open the Mail app to see the new email received. Seems to happen after a while, where Mail probably got closed to leave space for other apps in memory...

Any ideas or tips?

VicoPad addict!
I find that if I open up the inbox of a secondary account that is not very active, then go back to the principal account, it opens with the most recent message. Annoying to have to do that, but beats scrolling through dozens of emails. The suggested fix of deleting the 'stuck' email results in the next one becoming the stuck one.

Apple: fix this!

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You could try going to Settings - Mail and turning on the option Most Recent on Top. This is for threads and I am not sure if this is applicable in your case.

imh62

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Any ideas or tips?

VicoPad addict!

I accidentally found a 'fix' for this... well, it worked on my iPad Air 2.
Open the mail app in portrait. Scroll to your latest email. Close the app. Then, each time you open the mail app, open it in portrait and it will open at the top of your list. Now you can turn the iPad to landscape and carry on a usual.

DrSim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem. We have tried all the fixes mentioned above (mail setting for latest on top, moving the email it brings up to a folder, various uses of portrait and landscape) and have closed the App and restarted, with no improvement.
Does anyone have any new ideas?

DrSim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More information on this problem. I have 5,000+ emails in my Mail Intray for this account, and it always, on starting the App, went to an email that was received last October, hundreds of emails back. After looking at a Mac Forum on this problem, one fellow suggested it can be due to an email being infected. And the solution was to delete the email then empty the Trash folder. For me, emptying the trash folder was the critical step. Now it seems to work! Huzzah!

Most reactions

Latest posts