What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Notes sometimes get deleted while using multitasking.

baekgom84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I'm using my iPad for university right now - it's generally awesome to do my readings, which are supplied in PDF format. I also make heavy use of the double-click 'multitasking' function so I can jot down notes in the offical Notes app. Normally I suck at note-taking but this system is working really well for me.

BUT I sometimes find that when changing over to the Notes app to add something new, whatever I added previously has disappeared. This happens maybe once every ten 'flicks', and it got so annoying I started using Evernote for my note taking. Only, it just happened again, and because Evernote notes don't save as you write them like Notes is supposed to do, I lost a large chunk of information, which I'm rather peeved about. It's extremely frustrating to say the least.

I couldn't seem to find any information about this, so does anyone have a solution? Am I perhaps doing something wrong?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Be careful how much else you are doing. iOS removes older apps from RAM when it starts to run out. If you've got four small apps, or even two big ones running Notes could be getting bumped from RAM. Now, programs are supposed to save their state when removed from RAM, but that is up to the developer, not iOS.

I'd contact the developer and let him know your problem. It's a bug that they should be able to easily fix. The app just needs to make sure it saves anything that is in progress when it gets the shutdown request.

In the mean time, try to limit your muliti-taksing when using the app. Or force a save every time you leave it.

jcmktg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Notes get deleted

I wish I had an answer for you. My I pad does the same thing. I have put in notes just to test how long it will be before they get deleted. I have one note that stayed since sept 23 but no others have lasted more then a few days before disappearing

Let me know if you find an answer.

Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find this puzzling; I've had my iPad1 for nearly a year now and no notes have ever disappeared from the Notes app. Have you done a sync operation during the period when the notes disappear?

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have your notes syncing via an account, then they go to a special mail folder. Any special rules you have for, or accidental deletion of notes from that folder will also delete them from the iPad.

jcmktg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
If you have your notes syncing via an account, then they go to a special mail folder. Any special rules you have for, or accidental deletion of notes from that folder will also delete them from the iPad.

Thanks for the responses but didn't find them in email either. I did notice a newer note that went to my email but still stayed in my notes

I updated the new os5 and will see if that helps

jcmktg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I find this puzzling; I've had my iPad1 for nearly a year now and no notes have ever disappeared from the Notes app. Have you done a sync operation during the period when the notes disappear?

Tim

I have done some syncs and not sure of the timing when the notes disappeared. I did sync again today and didn't loose anything yet. I just updated to the new os maybe that will fix my problem

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With your Notes app in portrait, do you have an Accounts button at the top left, above the list of notes?

If you do, you will have at least three options. All Notes, accounts you have set up to sync, and maybe a On My iPad (local notes). Where you notes go depends on which of these is selected when you add a note.

Local note go nowhere, of course. While they should not disappear, they have been known to do so anyway. It is rare, but if your notes are important you should not keep them local only.

When an account is selected they sync with that account. And you can only see that account in the list. This might be where some of your notes disappears to. They could still be on the iPad, just not visible because you do not have that account selected. Any notes you create will go to the selected account.

If you have All Notes selected, you will see all your notes from all accounts. Notes you create will go to the default account. You set that in Settings > Notes.

And once again, I am out of ideas as to what is happening. Good luck.

jcmktg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
With your Notes app in portrait, do you have an Accounts button at the top left, above the list of notes?

If you do, you will have at least three options. All Notes, accounts you have set up to sync, and maybe a On My iPad (local notes). Where you notes go depends on which of these is selected when you add a note.

Local note go nowhere, of course. While they should not disappear, they have been known to do so anyway. It is rare, but if your notes are important you should not keep them local only.

When an account is selected they sync with that account. And you can only see that account in the list. This might be where some of your notes disappears to. They could still be on the iPad, just not visible because you do not have that account selected. Any notes you create will go to the selected account.

If you have All Notes selected, you will see all your notes from all accounts. Notes you create will go to the default account. You set that in Settings > Notes.

And once again, I am out of ideas as to what is happening. Good luck.

No accounts button on top in portrait

Maybe my lost notes before went into that email and not knowing that could happen, I deleted the email. I did notice my last note went to that email so will not delete those emails

My iPhone seems ok and does not affect iPad notes or vice versa. Separate devices in iTunes.

If it happens again, I will post.

Thanks again for the suggestions

Most reactions

Latest posts