What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-Retina iPad Mini Sales Soar Over Holiday Period

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Wits_View.PNG

AppleInsider reports today that according to the results of a new report, Apple’s non-Retina version of the iPad mini is gaining ground on the Retina full-sized version, with big sales over the holiday period.

The data, which was compiled by WitsView and reported on initially by Digitimes, showed that Apple ordered a little more than 30 million iPad display panels in the holiday quarter, and sold a record-breaking 27 million tablets in that quarter, with channel inventory accounting for the 4 million unit difference, according to AppleInsider.

Six million sales were for the first-gen, non-Retina iPad mini, with the current Retina version of the iPad mini shifting 7.49 million units, so quite close, in other words. The full-sized iPads moved 17 million units in total, with separate figures for iPad Air and iPad 2 not provided.

WitsView says that it expects iPad display orders to fall to 25.8 million units in the second quarter of 2014, with Apple ordering just 4.4 million panels for the non-Retina iPad mini and 7.4 million for the second-gen iPad mini, as well as 14 million of the full-sized iPad displays.

AppleInsider notes that although this is a slight drop in sales from the previous quarter, this is a common occurrence in the first quarter after the holidays, and these figures, if accurate, would still represent the iPad’s second best quarter ever.

Source: New data may reveal Apple's 2013 holiday iPad model sales mix

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the original Mini, going on just slightly over a year now. Still delivers the goods in every way. The only reason I didn't upgrade to the retina Mini is that I got an Air instead.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The old mini can be a new iPod especially at 128GB

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

dennisjmartinek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bought one for my wife, who loves it...now I'm wondering if I want to go smaller, or if the next iPad will have the fingerprint ID (large or small)...I feel like every time I go with the new bigger version, a smaller one comes out, and I don't know if bigger is better or smaller...love Apple, so please stop confusing me!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not surprised. The mini benefits a little less from the retina display since it's smaller. People just love the form factor of the mini and that's the attraction more than the screen resolution.

Most reactions

Latest posts