Nikon D7000 or Canon 60D?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mikeos, Mar 30, 2011.

1. mikeos

mikeos iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm a photography student at degree level in my second year and it's about time I upgraded my current olympus consumer DLSR to something a bit more professional. I know these two models are not professional standard, but they both seem to be fairly decent cameras.

Which one should I go for?
    And does anyone own either of these cameras and can tell me what it's like?
    Or maybe offer a suggestion of a different camera?

My price range is about £1000 (or about $1600 for USA)

Cheers!
  2. Somerled

Somerled iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    You want to look at the lens system more than the camera. Bodies are upgraded too quick and are relatively inexpensive in comparison. The lenses will last through body upgrades. Right now, Canon sports better lenses than Nikon, especially on the top end.
  3. Somerled

Somerled iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    I feel I have to qualify a little more. I have been shooting professionally for a number of years. Outdoors and in more rugged areas than a studio, and the L lenses and their dust and moisture proof seals at the camera and lens joint is priceless. I have been shooting Canon since 2005 and would not trade it for the world. While my camera bodies have changed since the first rebel to a 1D Mark IV, my lenses have stayed with me. The lenses have also been the bigger investment.

I have friends who shoot Nikon and swear by them. I cannot honestly say anything bad about them. It is just that I do not want to have to go out and buy a whole new lens system just to switch brands.

If you really are looking to get into semi-pro shooting, look at the lenses, not the cameras. The differences in the cameras are miniscule.
  4. Tassel

Tassel iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have not owned either, but have owned both a Canon 40d and (my current camera) a Canon 50d .... both were excellent cameras, easy to use. I've taken these with me all kinds of places far out in the wilderness and used them for studio work, they are versatile. The 60d will produce a sharp image with a good lens on the front (as will the Nikon) and the rest is in the light and composition. In the end, it doesn't really matter, (I find Canon's menus more easy to navigate), but you should stick with the brand you choose in your future camera purchases, so that the lenses will be interchangeable.

The only real problem with the canons is the live view (using the screen on the back as a viewfinder like a point-and-shoot) runs down the battery much to fast to be of any real use.

Luckily for you, both cameras you're looking at also do full HD video...
  5. Blackjack

Blackjack iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently purchased the D7000 and love it. I have pro photographers in my family and they were very impressed.