What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie needs help with movies

Mamp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I am completely new to all this iPad lark. Hubby has brought me an iPad 2, I want to put some of my dvd's on it for when I go into hospital (have been asking the hubby to show me for a month but am getting nowhere fast, he seems to think I am completely useless).

Anyway I downloaded one of the freebie DVD to iPod converter things & gave it a go but the movie ended up on my pad in 6 different parts! Not good when it just gets to the good bit of a movie & stops.......

Can anyone recommend a programme & give me some instructions please, would really appreciate it.

Thank

Mamp

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Download the free tool called Handbrake! This has a preset for the iPad so you can just select your movie (DVD), select the iPad preset and let Handbrake do the conversion. The output file can then be dragged onto iTunes and will sync with your iPad for playback with the built in video player. Handbrake is available for both Windows and Mac.
If you want to get creative, you can create your own preset and save the output file as a MKV file that will be a lot smaller in filesize (whole movies in around 3-400mb) than the standard iPad preset and then get an app from the App Store to play these movies back such as Buzz Player HD, GoodPlayer, AcePlayer etc.

OP
M

Mamp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give that a whirl

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Happy to help. Please post if you have any questions or need some pointers.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a Community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the IPad.
There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions that you have. If then you can't find the answer you are seeking, then by all means post your question. You will find many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - Discussion Forum for IPad Users It is a very simple app to navigate.
Reading the iPad Manuals is a great place to start, so please download a copy of these http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the iPad
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have downloaded the ace player and player x apps. And I just drag the movies on my laptop into the apps via I tunes .

OP
M

Mamp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cheers for that, I downloaded handbrake and went through the steps but I only get a short part of the movie!!!! I am obviously doing something wrong but I have no idea, I am a complete novice with this type of thing. Do I need to use any software beforehand?

Thanks for any help

Mamp

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Cheers for that, I downloaded handbrake and went through the steps but I only get a short part of the movie!!!! I am obviously doing something wrong but I have no idea, I am a complete novice with this type of thing. Do I need to use any software beforehand?

Thanks for any help

Mamp

It sounds like you may have selected only the first chapter of the movie - ensure you have selected the entire film for encoding. I'm guessing your output was around 10-15mins long? I don't have handbrake in front of me but can advide better this evening if it is still an issue?

OP
M

Mamp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, you are a star. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

Cheers

Mamp

Most reactions

Latest posts