What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

===Newb needs help===

jaa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello guys I purchased my brand new 32g wifi only ipad only just lastweek and i'm loving it!! :p I bought the incase case for it aswell to protect my pretty baby..
however..i do have some questions;
1) I want to view my microsoft powerpoint files (.ppt) on the ipad...i have goodreader installed and was just wondering will this program allow me to view these files?

2) Also i want to organise my files in folders...eg. music, pdf, ppt, videos... what program can allow me to do this?

looking forward to contributing more in this wonderful forum!@!!!!:)

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) You need an office program, your best bet is Documents 2 Go. You can view PPT docs on Keynote but you can't export them, and you can use older Office PPT files with OfficeHd2, but not the newer ones like pptx.

2) Music, videos, and photos are organized and sync'd from your hard drive. Other files like PPT and PDF will sync through iTunes under the apps tab in their respective programs. I can tell you are a Windows user like myself because of your questions. Just throw that idea out of the window. You don't have folders and organization in iTunes/iPad like you do on Windows.

And welcome to the forum.

OP
J

jaa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the fast reply, yes i am infact a windows user...windows 7 to be precise..:eek::)

The whole idea of syncing and not being able to put files into seperate folders...doesn't this slow down the ipad? because I was always under the impression that if files can be organised, it will reduce clutter and make the system run faster..

OP
J

jaa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) You need an office program, your best bet is Documents 2 Go. You can view PPT docs on Keynote but you can't export them, and you can use older Office PPT files with OfficeHd2, but not the newer ones like pptx.

2) Music, videos, and photos are organized and sync'd from your hard drive. Other files like PPT and PDF will sync through iTunes under the apps tab in their respective programs. I can tell you are a Windows user like myself because of your questions. Just throw that idea out of the window. You don't have folders and organization in iTunes/iPad like you do on Windows.

And welcome to the forum.

So am I correct in saying that to transfer .ppt files to the ipad, i would need to open the apps tab on .itunes and sync it directly with the program that will read the ppt files? ie documents2go

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the fast reply, yes i am infact a windows user...windows 7 to be precise..:eek::)

The whole idea of syncing and not being able to put files into seperate folders...doesn't this slow down the ipad? because I was always under the impression that if files can be organised, it will reduce clutter and make the system run faster..
Nah it's pretty darn smooth.

So am I correct in saying that to transfer .ppt files to the ipad, i would need to open the apps tab on .itunes and sync it directly with the program that will read the ppt files? ie documents2go
Correct. When you open up iTunes with your iPad connected, and assuming of course you have something like Docs2Go...click on the name of your iPad (in my case, Matthew's iPad), and then click on the apps tab. At the very bottom will be a small two pane frame. On the left pane will be lists of applications that accept files and on the right will show you the files being sync'd to that particular app, if any.

So you would select Docs2Go, select any PPT files you want to sync, and then hit the sync button and they would appear in the program.

Alternatively, you can use a cloud service like Drop Box or Box.net where you can connect to the internet on your iPad and either send or download files you have stored there. So for example...I could modify the business slides in PPT format for the week, but I'm out of the office. So I could upload it to Box.net directly from Docs2Go and someone from the office could pull it off with the correct password.

OP
J

jaa

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Nah it's pretty darn smooth.

Correct. When you open up iTunes with your iPad connected, and assuming of course you have something like Docs2Go...click on the name of your iPad (in my case, Matthew's iPad), and then click on the apps tab. At the very bottom will be a small two pane frame. On the left pane will be lists of applications that accept files and on the right will show you the files being sync'd to that particular app, if any.

So you would select Docs2Go, select any PPT files you want to sync, and then hit the sync button and they would appear in the program.

Alternatively, you can use a cloud service like Drop Box or Box.net where you can connect to the internet on your iPad and either send or download files you have stored there. So for example...I could modify the business slides in PPT format for the week, but I'm out of the office. So I could upload it to Box.net directly from Docs2Go and someone from the office could pull it off with the correct password.

oh thanks for that advice..but i I think i will stay with simple syncing from i-tunes first..as I'm still a noob when it comes to the other method...:confused:
As for the .ppt viewer, Do you know if "pages" will also read ppt files, and preferably write and save as .ppt format aswell???....so i can read on my windows PC too....

cheers

OP
J

jaa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh yeah, and hooray hooray im so excited i'm going to buy the camera connection kit tomorow so I can view my photos from my NIKON DSLR :p

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will only read them, you cannot export them as PPT, and you cannot do it for XLS in Numbers either. Pages is the the only one that allows you to read and write DOCs.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh yeah, and hooray hooray im so excited i'm going to buy the camera connection kit tomorow so I can view my photos from my NIKON DSLR :p
Must be nice, I had to order mine from eBay at 200% because everywhere here is sold out and Apple is back ordered for 3-4 weeks.

Ron_L

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Goodreader will display Powerpoint files. I do it all of the time. You can sync them to the iPad through the Applications tab in iTunes. At the bottom you'll see a section that will let you select the files to sync.

OP
J

jaa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi mate, do you know of any programs where I can edit the .ppt and view it at the same time on the ipad? and can transfer it and view it with microsoft powerpoint on the computer ??

OP
J

jaa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Documents to Go

thanks mate..but what's the difference between the iwork suite (keynote, pages and numbers) compared to documents to go?

In australia the iwork suite sells for $12.99 per keynote, pages and numbers, whereas docs2go sells for $12.99 for the whole program.

but can docs2go compare to the iworks suite in terms of productivity is my question

Most reactions

Latest posts